Troubleshoot Can't install/uninstall Adguard desktop

juhful

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I had uninstalled Adguard awhile back and tried to reinstall today. The installation went very quick, too quick then I couldn't find it anywhere, not showing up in start menu, nothing on the taskbar, and I can't find a Adguard folder in programs folder. Adguard is listed in App Falcon, Geek uninstaller and Wise Program uninstaller. When using these the Adguard uninstaller never starts, it goes straight to the scan for leftover files, I remove them and Adguard is no longer listed in the apps list of the uninstaller. When I try to reinstall, the setup starts and goes very fast, then nothing, no gui, not listed on start menu and no folder? I tried the Adguard Uninstall Utility and the gui never starts but task manager shows the utility running with 20% cpu but it never does anything, will stay at 20% and never show the gui.Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Reactions: Rengar

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
From task manager jump to the folder of AG. You can find the icon and send it to desktop. See if you can open the gui.If you cant terminate the process and reboot and try again to open the gui.If you want from the AG folder start the uninstaller, it will ask you if you want to delete the current settings or something like that, choose it. Reboot and search for the AG folder. If you find delete it, run ccleaner, reboot, run ccleaner. Install AG, reboot and see if the problem is fixed.

Edited.

Upvote 0

juhful

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
From task manager jump to the folder of AG. You can find the icon and send it to desktop. See if you can open the gui.If you cant terminate the process and reboot and try again to open the gui.If you want from the AG folder start the uninstaller, it will ask you if you want to delete the current settings or something like that, choose it. Reboot and search for the AG folder. If you find delete it, run ccleaner, reboot, run ccleaner. Install AG, reboot and see if the problem is fixed.

Edited.
Adguard is not showing up in task manager now, it's listed among installed apps in the unistaller utilities but not running, no folder anywhere.

Reactions: Rengar
Upvote 0

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Adguard is not showing up in task manager now, it's listed among installed apps in the unistaller utilities but not running, no folder anywhere.
Can you see if it starts up from the task manager? If not reboot. See if it is running or if it can be seen in the uninstaller utilites. Clean the registry with ccleaner. Reboot. Check again. Start the uninstaller/installer of AG

Upvote 0

juhful

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Can you see if it starts up from the task manager? If not reboot. See if it is running or if it can be seen in the uninstaller utilites. Clean the registry with ccleaner. Reboot. Check again. Start the uninstaller/installer of AG
Ok, Adguard is running, it seems there was a conflict with one of the uninstaller apps. The issue now is no gui, process is running, adguard symbol on the browser, just no gui, I want to input a license. Also Adguard is using a constant 20% cpu.

Upvote 0

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Ok, Adguard is running, it seems there was a conflict with one of the uninstaller apps. The issue now is no gui, process is running, adguard symbol on the browser, just no gui, I want to input a license. Also Adguard is using a constant 20% cpu.
Jump to AG folder from task manager. Search for the AG icon of the folder and right click, send it to desktop. Open it as administrator.

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Boot in safe mode and delete leftovers or locked files. Try portable version of Everything to locate the file's path Downloads - voidtools
Or boot from some recovery environment (WinPe, Live Linux distro) and delete locked files directly.

Probably the most powerful uninstall tool is BC Uninstaller, you can try it Bulk Crap Uninstaller

Upvote 0

juhful

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
All traces of Adguard were finally removed thanks to BC Uninstaller, search everything found nothing, reinstalled Adguard, 2 processes running, one using no cpu the other a constant 20%. There is no way to open the GUI. I see the Adguard logo on the bottom of my browser so I know it's working, I can click it and get the assistant but no main GUI to enter the license?

Upvote 0

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
All traces of Adguard were finally removed thanks to BC Uninstaller, search everything found nothing, reinstalled Adguard, 2 processes running, one using no cpu the other a constant 20%. There is no way to open the GUI. I see the Adguard logo on the bottom of my browser so I know it's working, I can click it and get the assistant but no main GUI to enter the license?
Which security app you're running?
Thinking of some conflict.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.