Solved can't remove player-chrome.exe popup downloads and codec update malware

Lugh

Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
I do have one. I suppose I should uninstall it and see what happens. Is there a way to isolate it and test so I don't have to uninstall?

Lugh

Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
OK, I'll give that a try this evening and report back. Thanks again for all the help. It's greatly appreciated.

Lugh

Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
I just got a codec performer update pop-up and google chrome video player update pop-up on back to back clicks in my chrome browser. Unfortunately, my problem is not solved.

Lugh

Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
I just discovered that my wife's laptop is getting the same pop-ups as mine, which is exactly what happened a few weeks ago. I re-installed the OS on BOTH computers thinking that would help because I simply couldn't find anything on either computer. Now, they both have the same problem again. Is it at all possible that it's a network problem? Perhaps something wrong with my wireless router? I ask because earlier today I was not on my home network and was not getting the pop-ups. It sounds nuts, but my wife barely even uses her laptop and it's already full of pop-ups after being reformatted a couple weeks ago. I'm really stumped here.

Lugh

Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
An update for you. I think I fixed my problems. My thoughts were correct. It was my router. My router was infected somehow. Once I did a factory reset on the wireless router, all computers in my house stopped getting pop-ups and haven't had any for a couple hours now. I hope this is the answer I was looking for. Thanks again for all of your help.

Lugh

Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
The computers are still good this morning. I think my problems are solved. Thanks again for all the help sir!

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
I can recommend you this software to avoid Adware in the future. Unchecky is very light and install and forget program. It works in background and has auto update feature, so beleive me you will forget it is installed.

http://unchecky.com/

Read here how it works --> http://www.howtogeek.com/179758/how-to-avoid-junkware-offers-with-unchecky/

The following will implement some post-cleanup procedures:

=> Please download DelFix by Xplode to your Desktop.

Run the tool and check the following boxes below;
checkmark.png
Remove disinfection tools
checkmark.png
Create registry backup
checkmark.png
Purge System Restore

Click Run button and wait a few seconds for the programme completes his work.
At this point all the tools we used here should be gone. Tool will create an report for you (C:\DelFix.txt)

The tool will also record healthy state of registry and make a backup using ERUNT program in %windir%\ERUNT\DelFix
Tool deletes old system restore points and create a fresh system restore point after cleaning.

cerroo

Jun 2, 2014
An update for you. I think I fixed my problems. My thoughts were correct. It was my router. My router was infected somehow. Once I did a factory reset on the wireless router, all computers in my house stopped getting pop-ups and haven't had any for a couple hours now. I hope this is the answer I was looking for. Thanks again for all of your help.
Hi, I was just wondering how did you figure it out it was the router? I have the same issue but the same thing is happening when I go to another location. I have another computer but there doesn't seem to be an issue there. I have ran several anti-virus/anti-malware and it found things but didn't solve my issue. I looked at my program files and nothing was install recently. One thing I noticed is that it popup/new page happens when I click or just do a right click. Does it sound like my router eventhough it's also happening at another location.

cerroo

Jun 2, 2014
Try resetting your router and let me know if it helped...
Hi TwinHeadedEagle,
At first I wasn't even to go into my Linksys Router page so I push the factory reset button on the back of the router and right after I rebooted my computer. It seem to have solved the problem. Then something weir happened about 5 minutes after I reboot. None of my web browser would connect to the internet (Chrome, IE, and Firefox). I did restarted my computer again and 5 minutes later same thing and none of my web browser would connect to the internet. Then I power my router off and back on. So far it seems to be fine. I did a virus scanner and nothing came up. Just thought I let you know what I am seeing incase it might help trigger another thought/info to help someone else out.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.