Advice Request Change or Stay (Solved)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Hi fellow members,

I have KSC Personal at the moment which has a renewal coming soon. I also have a paid subscription for their VPN which runs out at the same time. Aside from that I have Roboform password manager however this has quite a while to run before renewal is due and I do not have any desire to change the password manager at this time. I do also have a subscription for KTS which I am currently using as the license has further to run before it expires.

My preference is for a security "suite" rather than combinations of different providers and I have researched some suites but they all seems to have their Pros and Cons. Some have Identity Theft Protection which is new to me and unsure whether this is necessary. This leaves me with a dilemma of whether to renew what I have or change to something different.

NB I am a subscriber to Microsoft Office and therefore have plenty of cloud storage so this is not particularly necessary in a security suite.

Any help/guidance would be most helpful.

Thanks

Andy

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
most solutions have free trials so try those first.

as for security solutions additional services such as password managers for example, no point paying when you can get it for free and reliable.

In terms of VPNs, thats a different story and i would also suggest you try some vpns before sticking to a security solution offered one.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Have a look here:

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Thanks for your comments and help.

I have decided to keep KTS but have uninstalled their VPN and it didn't seem to work well on my PC. I have instead purchased a year's license for Malwarebytes Privacy VPN which seems to work fine. There is a drop in download/upload speeds but it does not really have much impact. Just waiting for their IOS version to be released and that will be installed too. Whilst I have a lifetime subscription for MBAM Premium, I have not installed this (conflict with KTS or so it said when I installed KTS) but have their Browser Guard extension installed alongside the Kaspersky Protection browser extension. Both appear to work ok together.

Roboform retained on my system.

Thanks once again for your responses.

Andy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have decided to keep KTS but have uninstalled their VPN and it didn't seem to work well on my PC. I have instead purchased a year's license for Malwarebytes Privacy VPN which seems to work fine.

Roboform retained on my system.
Great combination. Did you have to pay full price for Malwarebytes Privacy VPN?

It's better to see users choosing dedicated and trusted VPN providers over their bundled one, which may not be great overall.

Re: Update - Malwarebytes Privacy VPN

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Great combination. Did you have to pay full price for Malwarebytes Privacy VPN?

It's better to see users choosing dedicated and trusted VPN providers over their bundled one, which may not be great overall.

Re: Update - Malwarebytes Privacy VPN

I paid the price on their web page but for a years coverage I am happy with that and it all seems to function well enough. I did however note that I have toggled on launch app when computer starts up and auto connect when app launches and expected the VPN to start on its own but I have restarted my PC a couple of times and each time I have to manually toggle the off to on button. Maybe my expectations are incorrect but its just a small issue if it has to be toggled on manually.

I will look in on the update thread every so often but looking forward to the IOS version being released.

Reactions: Protomartyr and Ink

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Did you buy Malwarebytes VPN straight away without giving a 7 day trial? The auto start option is buggy. I faced the same when i tried it out (trial)

Although Malwarebytes VPN is based off WireGuard and uses totally different handshake encryption, Data Encryption and Data Authentication from its more well established competitors (although they also use 256 bit AES encryption), it does suffer when it comes to speed. I.E I had way better results all around with Nord VPN over Malwarebytes VPN despite both are based off WireGuard by default. Even GeoVPN had better results for me across many servers as opposed to Malwarebytes, and both work on Android too, wile Malwarebytes at the moment doesn't and there is no expected date listed on their website.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Did you buy Malwarebytes VPN straight away without giving a 7 day trial? The auto start option is buggy. I faced the same when i tried it out (trial)

Although Malwarebytes VPN is based off WireGuard and uses totally different handshake encryption, Data Encryption and Data Authentication from its more well established competitors (although they also use 256 bit AES encryption), it does suffer when it comes to speed. I.E I had way better results all around with Nord VPN over Malwarebytes VPN despite both are based off WireGuard by default. Even GeoVPN had better results for me across many servers as opposed to Malwarebytes, and both work on Android too, wile Malwarebytes at the moment doesn't and there is no expected date listed on their website.

I did trial it before purchase but not for the full trial period.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Good decision to keep Kaspersky. One of the best in proactive protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.