enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
We’re making changes to how Free users access LastPass across device types. LastPass offers access across two device types – computers (including all browsers running on desktops and laptops) or mobile devices (including mobile phones, smart watches, and tablets). Starting March 16th, 2021, LastPass Free will only include access on unlimited devices of one type.
Read further on LastPass Blog

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
What's great about this news? I only use LastPass on computers (desktop & laptops) so it doesn't really impact me but if I had a tablet or smartphone I wouldn't be able to use LastPass free on them too any more so that would just push me to look for alternatives not towards their premium (paid) options.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
What's great about this news? I only use LastPass on computers (desktop & laptops) so it doesn't really impact me but if I had a tablet or smartphone I wouldn't be able to use LastPass free on them too any more so that would just push me to look for alternatives not towards their premium (paid) options.
You are right; sorry, I actually missed the word "one" in one type's unlimited devices. At first, the unlimited device caught my eyes and thought, now it's unlimited.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Best – 1Password
Free – Bitwarden

Best Overall – 1Password
Best Free Option – Bitwarden
Best DIY Option (Self-Hosted) – KeePassXC

These are the three best (y)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Last edited:

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
As most of password manager support exporting credentials into open format supported by other password manager such as csv extension that would be very easy

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Starting March 16th, 2021, LastPass Free will only include access on unlimited devices of one type.
If a product/service is good enough and I like it, personal I normally also pay for it. In this case I don't have to, even after this " horrible " change as I will still be able to use it on how many PCs I ever needed or wanted. If I ever would for some reason upgrade, it's €2.90*/month. I can afford skip 2 cheeseburgers/month.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
If a product/service is good enough and I like it, personal I normally also pay for it. In this case I don't have to, even after this " horrible " change as I will still be able to use it on how many PCs I ever needed or wanted. If I ever would for some reason upgrade, it's €2.90*/month. I can afford skip 2 cheeseburgers/month.
That’s how I feel about 1Password. I find if it’s useful then I’m willing to pay for it.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I liked this comment at LastPass Free will be severely limited on March 16, 2021 - gHacks Tech News

1613519648611.png

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Or people could...pay for the product. Just saying.
or use other free options... Just saying...
I'm not ok with any company that offer a product just to get some free user base and then restrict it intensively and intentionally just to squeeze all money they can from theuir customers. I don't have any problem with them charging for their product, but if they wanted to do so, they could have done since the beginning or explicitly left people know about their intention sooner (like 1 years at least). This is a dirty practice, and I would never spend a cent with a company that practices it.

Anyway, it has some time I've been looking for a reason to left LastPass. I'd like to thank the company for giving me such a compelling argument.

For those who want a simple alternative to Bitwarden, Microsoft recently launched their own password manager that is built in Edge, but it will also be available in any browser (with extensions) or mobile devices (microsoft autenticator app). It's quite simple and is meant to be used to store only passwords - so it won't be able to store credit card, secure notes, etc, for now at least. It can be a handy alternative for those who just want a password manager.

For now, i'll give bitwarden another chance. But if microsoft keeps developing their own password manager, i would make it my first option for sure

Last edited:

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
Make me understand something, please! If I use the phone app of lastpass on my phone could I use the browser extension of firefox, or the browser extension counts as pc/laptop app? (In this case I will not be able to use both environments). I really don't know if they're offering a pc software, like kaspersky password manager, never interested in that aspect, allways used the firefox extension.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Make me understand something, please! If I use the phone app of lastpass on my phone could I use the browser extension of firefox, or the browser extension counts as pc/laptop app? (In this case I will not be able to use both environments). I really don't know if they're offering a pc software, like kaspersky password manager, never interested in that aspect, allways used the firefox extension.
  1. On March the 16th this year 2021 or as soon after you login to Lastpass, you will be presented and asked a question if you still want to use the same type of device, computers or mobile devices that your currently on, with your Free Lastpass account.
  2. If you also want to use a Free Lastpass account on the other type of devices, simply use some of the other emails most people nowadays have and register a second, Free account.
  3. LastPass - Wikipedia
  4. Stick/stay with Firefox if you actually like it and are used to it, but please be aware of point 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.