Chrome "app" extension has hijacked my browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravelHike

Thread author
Mar 17, 2023
I'm a goofball (that's putting it mildly!!) and mistakenly downloaded a fake version of Chromium. I deleted it, but it has left behind some "presents".
I see Nasdaq and other moderators have helped other people with this same problem, but I don't want to blindly follow those instructions.

Both Chrome and Edge have browser extensions that I can't delete. It's called Apps version 3.2 with the ID: pejhfhcoekcajgokallhmklcjkkeemgj and it redirects through a long list of websites before searching with Bing.

Can anyone please help? I'm feeling pretty desperate.

Attached are my FRST reports.

Attachments

• 2023.03.17 Malware report.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Addition.txt
    39.2 KB · Views: 17
  • FRST.txt
    37.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hello, Welcome to MalwareTips.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The Computer will restart when the fix is completed.

It will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

Please post the Fixlog.txt and let me know what problem persists.

Attachments

• Fixlist.txt
    9 KB · Views: 40

TravelHike

Thread author
Mar 17, 2023
Thank you!!
I've attached the fixlog.txt file.
The malicious App extension is no longer there in Chrome or Edge. Any searches I do are being conducted in the proper search engine (e.g., Google in Chrome and Bing in Edge).

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    29.5 KB · Views: 14

TravelHike

Thread author
Mar 17, 2023
Thank you very much from your help! I am so grateful.
I paid your kindness forward by donating groceries to our local food bank. You helped me in my time of need and hopefully these donations will help others in need! THANK YOU!!

Last edited:
Reactions: upnorth

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

===

@ TravelHike
Our services are free. I wish more people would do what you have done.
Regards
nasdaq

------

@ Kellett5261

***READ ME BEFORE POSTING IN THIS FORUM***

Execute the instructions on this page..

Preparation Guide Before Requesting Malware Removal Help

Link: By Staff - [MANDATORY] Preparation Guide Before Requesting Malware Removal Help

When you are ready to attach or post in your own topic start doing it here.

Wait for further information.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.