JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello
My HitmanPro.Alert license finishes in 14 days and I like very much this software. Currently I use it together ESET IS but I have also to renew ESET IS license in 2 months.
I just learn here Q&A - Sophos Home Premium? that SHP is a very good anti-virus and that it includes HMPA.
So if I replace the combo HMPA + ESET IS with SHP, it will be a lot less expensive for me. But I don't Know if the protection is worth.
What is your opinion?

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Voted for Sophos Home Premium. But very important factor is that it doesn't have any local settings, you can set only local exclusions and whenever you will want to change any settings, you will have to login into web management console. Be sure to register for a 30-day trial first before you buy Sophos Home Premium Free Trial | Cybersecurity Made Simple

I would also make sure I have disabled cscript and powershell/Java uninstalled, if you don't use them. Also take note that, unlike Eset IS, SHP doesn't include a firewall, so you are left with Windows Firewall or other 3th party one you chose. Resource usage of SHP depends on each system differently, with recent versions users report it being more lightweight on system resources. Also, you may have slight impact on web page load, because SHP includes system-wide traffic scanning, and it's very powerful. It's worth trying if you haven't already and keep an eye on the Q&A - Sophos Home Premium? good luck. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I too voted for Sophos Home Premium. I've really liked it and and found it to be very light. I currently switch to ESET because a: I wanted to try it out and b: (like davisd said),you can't adjust the settings locally). With that said however, I may very well go back to running SHP as I really like the central management and quite frankly the more I thought about it, I'm not one to change my settings all that often once they are set. Personally I SHP is a great product and offers great protection. In my back and forth emails with Sophos, they seem to be planning to add more addition features from their enterprise offerings (ie: more features from Intercept X that are not already included, etc...) down the road, so it will be an interesting product to watch.

In saying that, my experience with ESET has been great, it's light and has many great features/protection.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Voted for Sophos Home Premium. But very important factor is that it doesn't have any local settings, you can set only local exclusions and whenever you will want to change any settings, you will have to login into web management console. Be sure to register for a 30-day trial first before you buy Sophos Home Premium Free Trial | Cybersecurity Made Simple

I would also make sure I have disabled cscript and powershell/Java uninstalled, if you don't use them. Also take note that, unlike Eset IS, SHP doesn't include a firewall, so you are left with Windows Firewall or other 3th party one you chose. Resource usage of SHP depends on each system differently, with recent versions users report it being more lightweight on system resources. Also, you may have slight impact on web page load, because SHP includes system-wide traffic scanning, and it's very powerful. It's worth trying if you haven't already and keep an eye on the Q&A - Sophos Home Premium? good luck. ;)
Thanks friends for your answers:)
@davisd , why is it necessary to disable cscript and uninstall powershell Java ? Some conflicts with SHP ?
Do you think that indows firewall is not enough ?

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I would go with Eset.
Light on system, HIPS and it also include exploit protection.
If i wanted to pare it with something at this moment i would use OSA to plug some holes.
But since i have safe browsing habits i don't even have OSA installed. Some tweaks on HIPS and i am good to go.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I would go with Eset.
Light on system, HIPS and it also include exploit protection.
If i wanted to pare it with something at this moment i would use OSA to plug some holes.
But since i have safe browsing habits i don't even have OSA installed. Some tweaks on HIPS and i am good to go.
Thanks @tonibalas :)
What is "OSA"?:unsure:

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thanks friends for your answers:)
@davisd , why is it necessary to disable cscript and uninstall powershell Java ? Some conflicts with SHP ?
Do you think that indows firewall is not enough ?
To disable attack vectors by malware infiltrating into your system. SHP alone isn't enough. By that i mean it's high quality product, but it's not impenetrable.

You can combo SHP together with the OSArmor mentioned by toni NoVirusThanks OSArmor

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Hi, You can Disable the Eset HIPS and use Eset+HMPA but you will lose the Eset self-protection, ransomware protection and exploit protection! Eset already has Advanced Memory Scanner and Anti-exploit(not like hmpa but enough).OS armor is a better combo for Eset IS.i think Eset IS is better than Sophos home premium(lighter, better network protection, and much better cloud).

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
To disable attack vectors by malware infiltrating into your system. SHP alone isn't enough. By that i mean it's high quality product, but it's not impenetrable.

You can combo SHP together with the OSArmor mentioned by toni NoVirusThanks OSArmor

Thanks @davisd:)
And no need to add a third party firewall to replace Windows firewall?

Check OSA on the link provided by @davisd

Thanks @tonibalas :)

Hi, You can Disable the Eset HIPS and use Eset+HMPA but you will lose the Eset self-protection, ransomware protection and exploit protection! Eset already has Advanced Memory Scanner and Anti-exploit(not like hmpa but enough).OS armor is a better combo for Eset IS.i think Eset IS is better than Sophos home premium(lighter, better network protection, and much better cloud).

Thanks @Sunshine-boy :) I run HMPA together ESET IS with HIPS enabled without any issue, why do you say that I have to disable ESET HIPS ?
If my understanding is correct, OSA is better then HMPA:unsure:

I agree with adding OSArmor to either product, as it offers great complimentary protection. I've used both with SHP and Eset without any issues.

Thanks @Raiden :)
Is it possible and useful to run OSA with HMPA ?

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
My choice is Sophos Home Premium
Eset edges Sophos in : PUP Detection : Extremely fast Cloud Signatures: Good U.I
Sophos wins over Eset in : Overall Protection : Anti Phishing: Behaviorial Capability (HMPA + Invincea + In House HIPS + End Point Interception) : Great web Blocking: Anti Ransom Capability
Eset and Sophos both fail in Disinfection.
Eset lacks in : Pro active but it is substituted by REACTIVE and HIPS(LOCK DOWN)
Sophos lacks in: Quarantine feature and Slight hand brake in Anti Ransom Capability( Triggers after 1-2 files encrypted) -- Acceptable
U
se both trials but i recommend SOPHOS:)
ESET + HMPA :unsure::unsure:..never tried but HMPA goes well with Sophos

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Well, OSA 1.4 Help\FAQs recommends to exclude all 4 .EXE files on HIPS software. In SHP you need them to add in local exclusions. It might be enough to exclude just osarmordevsvc.exe, but I'm doing it this way just to be safe. :emoji_ok_hand:

Capture.PNG

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Well, OSA 1.4 Help\FAQs recommends to exclude all 4 .EXE files on HIPS software. In SHP you need them to add in local exclusions. It might be enough to exclude just osarmordevsvc.exe, but I'm doing it this way just to be safe. :emoji_ok_hand:

View attachment 191560

Hello @davisd
You made exclusions on "Local Exclusions" , but is it necessary to made the same exclusions on "Exceptions" ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.