App Review Comodo Firewall 10 Setup

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

CodaPG

Level 1
Verified
May 5, 2015
I can't make the run virtually option checked, No matter what i do it is always unchecked. is this a bug?

Reactions: AtlBo

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I unchecked cloud lookup for now after reading some of the topic,good idea or not?
Imo, you should get more pop-up/blocked/virtualized applications (depending upon the CF settings), if u disable the cloud lookup. Only benefit would be that, u will not be affected by a malware file being whitelisted (a very minor chance).
So, decision is yours to have a balance between security and practicality/hassle.
PS, i have enabled it because I am lazy:D

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Would one way to describe CloudLookup be, "anti-false positive setting for unrecognized and or unsigned"?

I don't think it's dangerous in the big picture, but I like a short Trusted Vendors List and CloudLookup adds to the list so I turned if off. I know what to expect from most applications I install before I install them as it is now. I may go back though, considering the list wouldn't get all that much larger with Comodo TVL additions. One other thing Comodo's a-v has a bad wrap, and I can't see why CloudLookup should be any better and there are the CL fail videos. At this point, still like having the last say.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I personally have the Cloud AV enabled. It doesn't harm or slow anything to have it on unless the system is the biggest POS in existence. And surprisingly (at least to me), Comodo today had a definition against a new ransomware strain BEFORE Avast!

How Cool Is That!

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I unchecked cloud lookup for now after reading some of the topic,good idea or not?
I keep it enabled because I install new softwares or update them regularly. I don't want to unblock 20-30 apps as homework every day
I also use zemana as my primary AV although it's not great, it works well with CF
usually, malware that are whitelisted on comodo cloud are not serious malwares, not ransomwares. Most of them can be PUPs and some can be backdoors, info-stealers (this one can be serious)

disabling the cloud may make your PC unstable due to the sandboxing of critical system files especially via windows updates, in rare occasions

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I personally have the Cloud AV enabled. It doesn't harm or slow anything to have it on unless the system is the biggest POS in existence. And surprisingly (at least to me), Comodo today had a definition against a new ransomware strain BEFORE Avast!

How Cool Is That!
CS - Are you running Avast free alongside CF?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Comodo is testing a module in Viruscope called recognizer that is supposed to recognize ransomware (anti-ransom) even in Comodo firewall. Maybe unnecessary @cruelsister 's settings but I like the idea.
When i updated CFW earlier, there were some updates for recognizer. What do you mean by testing, like in a beta?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
When i updated CFW earlier, there were some updates for recognizer. What do you mean by testing, like in a beta?

The way I understand recognizer, there won't be an alert for awhile. Comodo is testing the detection of the module and gathering data to find any bugs that might be in it before it becomes official. Looks like it is kind of a "Zero Day" protection module, and I think it's going to include both behavior protection and standard a-v file recognition against all the nastiest new and recent malwares.

Brn888

Level 1
May 13, 2017
I know that is not the subject of this topic but could someone point me to the best config for Avast?
I'll be using with CF@CS settings...

Thanks!

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Zero- Although I personally do not use any AV as a supplement to CF, I can understand the need that most will have to have one on board. Once again, I think it can be summed up in the equation X + Y = 100. where X = some AV or other, and Y = CF.

The better the AV, the less CF has to do; the crappier the AV, the more work CF does. Either way the protection will be 100.

BRN- You can use Avast Free at default if you wish, or just enable CyberCapture (I'm sure it must do something!) and Hardened Mode. But if you choose not to, you still will be in the X + Y = 100 camp. As to the quality of Avast's definition base, I feel strongly that over the past 6 moths they have surpassed BD and without ANY doubt have blown Avira away.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Don't we have to disable Avast's BB to use it with CF? I tried using them both together a few times not long back and had to restore a system image. It used to be one of my favourite combo's so I would like to use them both.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.