App Review Comodo Firewall 10 Setup

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Don't we have to disable Avast's BB to use it with CF? I tried using them both together a few times not long back and had to restore a system image.

I think hardened mode blocked CFW from updating last night for me. Disabled avast for 15 minutes and it installed. Haven't seen any other problems on high settings. Avast settings seem to have gotten as complicated as Comodo's even though Comodo has the extra container and firewall. Maybe just installing the a-v is the best way to use Avast with CFW/CIS anyway. Custom install gives alot of opt outs.

Reactions: Andy Ful

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I think hardened mode blocked CFW from updating last night for me. Disabled avast for 15 minutes and it installed. Haven't seen any other problems on high settings. Avast settings seem to have gotten as complicated as Comodo's even though Comodo has the extra container and firewall. Maybe just installing the a-v is the best way to use Avast with CFW/CIS anyway. Custom install gives alot of opt outs.
Do you use Avast's BB with CF? And thank you for the reply.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Do you use Avast's BB with CF? And thank you for the reply.

I was trying to update avast on an old W7 PC I upgraded (processor) for the last two days and couldn't. Just got the update and settings seem the same. Yes, I I have the Behavior Shield on, and it has been on. FYI, CF settings->Proactive all modules on except Cloud Lookup is off.

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
The better the AV, the less CF has to do; the crappier the AV, the more work CF does. Either way the protection will be 100.
What I like with AV, is that they give an immediate and intelligible information.
And sometime with a negative response time (eg before you launch the thing)
When it falls on the X side, you know it's a shitty thing. When it crash on the Y side, you have to diagnose why the thing inside the container crashed.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
What I like with AV, is that they give an immediate and intelligible information.
And sometime with a negative response time (eg before you launch the thing)
When it falls on the X side, you know it's a shitty thing. When it crash on the Y side, you have to diagnose why the thing inside the container crashed.
You could always use an on-demand scanner for that purpose, without scanning all the files in realtime and for the "Y" side files only. Because X side files are not trustworthy as you said. All that without the performance hit due to realtime scanning.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo and lab34

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I was trying to update avast on an old W7 PC I upgraded (processor) for the last two days and couldn't. Just got the update and settings seem the same. Yes, I I have the Behavior Shield on, and it has been on. FYI, CF settings->Proactive all modules on except Cloud Lookup is off.
Thank you for the info that's helped me a lot.

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Everything sure seems optimized and balanced with this latest update of Comodo Firewall. Music to my fingers to be able to type this after so many years of trepidation with older version. v10 seems for now headed in the right direction fairly quidkly

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Everything sure seems optimized and balanced with this latest update of Comodo Firewall. Music to my fingers to be able to type this after so many years of trepidation with older version. v10 seems for now headed in the right direction fairly quidkly
Except the uninstall, it's a bloody mess:mad: when you want to uninstall it. Also there are no uninstall tools for the latest version.
PS check my profile :(, i just had the incident today.

Reactions: AtlBo and ZeroDay

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
Would one way to describe CloudLookup be, "anti-false positive setting for unrecognized and or unsigned"?

I don't think it's dangerous in the big picture, but I like a short Trusted Vendors List and CloudLookup adds to the list so I turned if off. I know what to expect from most applications I install before I install them as it is now. I may go back though, considering the list wouldn't get all that much larger with Comodo TVL additions. One other thing Comodo's a-v has a bad wrap, and I can't see why CloudLookup should be any better and there are the CL fail videos. At this point, still like having the last say.

Being somewhat advanced enough, so far have steered cleared of installed AV's of any sort. With CFW 10 the firewall and containment with Proactive settings seems enough for now. I did test Qihoo Essentials and the TS package both. With Bitdefender + Avira it just seemed a no brainer but was too heavy if you can believe that.

I always did relish lightweight with formidable and another reason why HIPS on 32 bit was a big plus on XP for me. Defense+ too for that matter.

Online only occasional AV sweeps has been the routine. But I am very interested in VirusScope. Can anyone attest to if it's a plus too or not?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Except the uninstall, it's a bloody mess:mad: when you want to uninstall it. Also there are no uninstall tools for the latest version.
PS check my profile :(, i just had the incident today.

Ironically I use Comodo Programs Manager to monitor installations of programs, so I use it if I need to reinstall CF for any reason. CPM is kind of an underrated app, but it requires some work to get running in Win10 unless it has been updated recently. Does a very good job removing remnants.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Ironically I use Comodo Programs Manager to monitor installations of programs, so I use it if I need to reinstall CF for any reason. CPM is kind of an underrated app, but it requires some work to get running in Windows 10 unless it has been updated recently. Does a very good job removing remnants.
Does the CF installation has to be monitored for it to remove it? It's just for future reference, as I am already done with Win10 clean install with CF10 (clean install was probably overdue anyway)

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Does the CF installation has to be monitored for it to remove it? It's just for future reference, as I am already done with Windows 10 clean install with CF10 (clean install was probably overdue anyway)

I suspect that you are new to comodo or didn't take the time to learn it, when ever you install comodo it always (stress) always bring along a uninstaller, go into comodo program data there you will find a program name cis_setup_x64 or 86 run it an it will give you an option to uninstall comodo with ease.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
HI for some reason comodo firewall always block firefox and stick password ,i unblock them and they get blocked again ,I can still use the 2 programs but under blocked programs firefox and sticky passwird are there.Any ideas? thks

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I suspect that you are new to comodo or didn't take the time to learn it, when ever you install comodo it always (stress) always bring along a uninstaller, go into comodo program data there you will find a program name cis_setup_x64 or 86 run it an it will give you an option to uninstall comodo with ease.
Isn't that the same uninstaller which runs when you uninstall through control panel. Because i tried that, didn't worked.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
In CF containment rules got a question about ignore rules. Somehow I have a rule for dllhost.exe to ignore it. Looking closer at the rule, the ignore rule setting, "Do not apply the action to child processes" is set by default to unchecked. OK, so I take it this means that CF will still box any unrecognized that dllhost starts, and that's the main thing (not that it will I mean in general for any process this should be the case). But the question is, is it normal to end up with an ignore rule for dllhost.exe in the first place? With the settings I am using I get alot of ignore rules in containment settings, but not sure I understand the context of this one, and I don't know much about the process itself. BTW, I see in the log that this rules fires fairly frequently, so that's why I ask.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
in some occassions, CF cannot be uninstalled by the default uninstaller
When I was using secureaplus with CF, they conflicted and prevented me to do anything. I closed comodo and performed the uninstallation via control panel. It was done. However, when I rebooted, CF was loaded like nothing happened. I must have downloaded the official uninstalling helper from their forum but it didn't do anything, CF was still there

I had to boot to safe mode to manually delete every single comodo folders. Finally it got uninstalled

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Does the CF installation has to be monitored for it to remove it? It's just for future reference, as I am already done with Windows 10 clean install with CF10 (clean install was probably overdue anyway)

Yes they have to be monitored for remnants to be removed, and I have been told it's not easy to get CPM to work in W10. I think that all of the exes in the Program folder must be set to run in compatibility for Windows 7. Even then I couldn't get it to work in W10, although I know it is possible based on what I have read from others. Pretty sure I missed something when I tried to set it up. Comodo forum might have some help on it, although it's not officially supported there since it's beyond the development stage :(.

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
Hi,
just to say thank you @cruelsister . Your videos change my security life ;-)
My previous combo was avira free+windows 10 firewall control. Now CF+360TSE !
Previously, I trust av-comp reviews, and now...
regards,

She likely has encouraged quite a few members to take a more serious look at Comodo FW for just how formidable it can be once set up properly.

I know that I have made some changes (specifically CFW 10) and before now had absolutely no idea they (Comodo) had done such a makeup on this program.

My normal is been routinely leaning almost always to virtualization (SD), along with a dedicated anti-exe (ERP) and some choice monitoring just to keep tabs on potential drops etc.

All the other usual offerings gave me bloat trauma. Fact is that is nice to finally breathe a little again without getting caught with the proverbial britches down when not running SD and can scale it back to On-Demand Only again.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.