App Review Comodo Firewall against Ransomware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Doesn't Comodo rebuild the list after every update?

+1

I would use CFW any day in the week if it handled the transfer speed on your LAN better.
In my case the speed cuts in half from 110-120MB/sec to 60MB while sending/receiving big files, backup files, isos etc.
Anyone else experience this, or know if it is fixable?
I hear CFW do not support jumbo frames, if that could the problem here?

Nice vid sis!

/W

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I stay away from Comodo products. Finding out Comodo Time Machine was a ripoff of RollBack made me wonder what else they are ripping off, and if anything, I'm worried that their dev team doesn't really know what they're doing.

Then again, I'm just a robot made in Tijuana so what do I know

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Holmes- needless to say, if you don't want to use Comodo products for any reason then that's your right. However about the CTM-Rollback issue- Rollback was developed by a number of people, and Comodo legally licensed (bought) the code of one of the earlier builds from a key developer and attempted to work out the bugs and expand it. As they found the game not worth the candle the project was dropped.

And about any "stealing" of code- if this was the case Horizon DataSystems would have filed suit against Comodo the next day.

D

Deleted member 2913

CS,

They haven't mentioned CTM is discontinued. Many users request info about CTM, if its alive or discontinued But no reply from Comodo. This is Comodo prob, things are not done in a organize way & communication prob.

Look at new products CCAV thread. They write a whole long story with every release of CCAV like how CCAV protects from unknown, autosandbox, Valkyrie, etc... But no or rare communication in the thread with users regards probs/bugs/queries, etc...

W

Wave

@JHomes I agree with @cruelsister about the CTM-Rollback since she is right; however think back to the PrivDog situation and Comodo, that is enough to make anyone not want to trust them - if they made a stupid mistake like they did in the past then how do we know they won't do it again? We are all human so we are all prone to mistakes but the PrivDog problem was very stupid from a company who deals with handing out SSL certificates and is meant to be professional in the security industry.

I decided to checkout the Comodo forums a few weeks ago and saw numerous people complaining about various things (CCAV I think), and I kept seeing repetitive responses from the people in charge, such as Melih, banging on about the auto-sandbox and how it is all the person needs to worry about and how it will make them invincible... Something along those lines.

Go and read some threads in "Melih's corner" - it really does get quite ridiculous, I've noticed that the older the thread the funnier it becomes.

D

Deleted member 2913

Wave,

Yeah, Melih & his AutoSandbox chants. And his examples cars, peoples, bla bla..... explaining autosandbox & default deny. He derails the topic & starts an offtopic in the thread & continues......

Nowadays, few things you will see repeatedly there -
Heavy advertisement, its like every Dev, staff are given instruction to start threads, posts with how their autosandbox, default deny, Valkyrie is the best & an innovation in the security software.
Mods, they are the followers of "Boss is always right" So "Mods are always right".
You query, give positive criticism, you will get a lecture on Comodo is free, you cannot complain, say this, that, bla bla........
Last But not the least, Mods favorite mantra "Warn & Ban".

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I really had no intention of becoming an apologist for Comodo, but just for those that may not be conversant with the above-

1). Privdog indeed had an error in coding, and as the total worldwide base was about 50,000 total this was not found right away. coding errors leading to potential exploits are nothing new though, and certainly not specific to Comodo; Oracle with Java, Adobe with Flash, and MS with Windows are also prone to this stuff and their user base is a bit more than 50K.

2). SSL certificates- these are actually privately discounted in the Industry. The issuance of domain-validated certificates is commonplace and a grave mistake. Personally I would only trust those certs by DigiCert or Entrust, but even here a local bypass can occur with a side-channel attack, an example of which was presented this August at BlackHat 16.

3). Valkyrie does indeed suck.

4). Comodo forums are worse.

5). The auto-sandbox is indeed superb and is unique for the home market which was the point of the video in the OP.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
Whether you like comodo or not that the only solution that'll protect average the user from ransom. All other if no signature the files are gone. Qihoo is another good product that can do the job but all others......

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I can never understand the antipathy that some have about Comodo and the reasons for it:

1). Forums- I must agree that the product forums at C are staffed by annoying robots, but a majority of company sponsored forums also leave a bit to be desired. Avast will frequently not answer any issues that they find uncomfortable, and my personal favorite is the Symantec Endpoint forum (User: I was just infected by the X malware and my Network is trashed! what should I do? Symantec- No problem, we've just added the definition to the database).

2). Thinking the CEO is a Dope- a proper method of choosing a security solution should be based on how well it protects and not on what amounts to a Personality Cult. The corollary of not using the excellent CF because you dislike Melih is using another substandard product because the CEO of that company likes puppies.

3). "There was a flaw in PrivDog so I won't use anything by them"- so since there are frequent breaches of Flash no one should ever use PhotoShop? We would never have another UFO or Bigfoot photo if that were the case!

W

Wave

I wonder how Comodo has such an excellent sandbox and firewall
I know exactly where you're coming from, I took one look at the Comodo forums and thought that was my last moments... How on earth can a company work together to make a great sandbox (via real virtualisation techniques by using the hardware features such as Intel VT-x for example) and a great sandbox... And then just have that awful forum. It ruins it! :(

I await the day they fix up the forum... Then it's all good. :)

D

Deleted member 2913

I just hope they work in a little organize way And work on communication with the users.

Mods needs to keep cool & patience. They should understand that not all are native english speakers. Many a times, users meant something But their selection of words/sentence reflect something different. Mods should try to clear it first instead of warn/ban. For me, a regular/casual warn/ban in a forum means something major wrong with the authority & the way things works there. Many good/knowledgeable members have left the forum.

Melih promises you stuffs in months And they dont see the light for years And when you say Melih you dont deliver on promises/didn't deliver on promises, there comes a Mod & he will be like "He is a CEO, you cant talk to him like that".

I dont understand the argument, "its free so you cant complain". It may apply to other things But security forum/software, for me its a 2 way street. We appreciate you are giving a free software And in return we help you in shaping/making the product reporting bugs, probs, etc... And try to spread the word about the product. You gave a free software, we liked it And together we grew & saw the growth of the product.

Last But not the least, their infamous "Bug report format". Many users dont report bugs due to the unnecessary required bug format in many cases. Many times for a simple option, etc... they require you to file bug report format, etc... They really need to change their bug report format.

I dont judge their software for the above or other reasons. I have used their CIS/CCAV And they are one of the best out there free or paid. But not for everyone, you need to know/learn to use CIS/CCAV.

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
Each product contains only errors were found. Because it is programmed human. when we do a machine then it will be possible otherwise. Errors in machine code are normal.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Holmes- needless to say, if you don't want to use Comodo products for any reason then that's your right. However about the CTM-Rollback issue- Rollback was developed by a number of people, and Comodo legally licensed (bought) the code of one of the earlier builds from a key developer and attempted to work out the bugs and expand it. As they found the game not worth the candle the project was dropped.

And about any "stealing" of code- if this was the case Horizon DataSystems would have filed suit against Comodo the next day.

I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain from what I've heard, CTM was an OEM rebrand of RollBack and they didn't follow the roles of the agreement.

Here's something from Horizon DataSys forums:

Masterblaster is absolutely correct. Comodo Time Machine was an instant restore application that was derived from the base code of RollBack Rx version 8. Until recently, with the advent of UEFI Bios support and TRIM SSD drives, the base code of RollBack Rx had to be re-written. Comodo Time Machine essentially ran with our old code and when they (and others) were faced with having to re-write the RollBack Rx code, they obviously could not comply; because of obvious reasons. So, The alternative to Comodo's Time Machine would be the developers of the actual code; thus RollBack Rx.

With regards to pricing, You do get what you pay for. We do offer discounts through our facebook monthly promotions etc. Futhermore, our forum members that actively contribute also receive valuable awards, discounts and licenses etc. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

(Source)

Funny enough I really did like CTM. I only came over to RollBack Rx because it was mentioned how RollBack Rx had TRIM support whilst CTM didn't.

Reactions: DardiM and Wave

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I have used Comodo Firewall for short periods a few times, and I always found myself disenchanted with the user dialog and with Comodo's seemingly unusual behavior with files. It seems that whenever I used CF, files would begin to disappear, from the Desktop, from Downloads, etc. I could reboot and notice an empty spot on the Desktop and wonder what had been deleted. For me, the problem was made more difficult by the fact that I have trouble navigating and making use of the rules and so on CF.

I am very connection conscious, and this is a primary factor for me in selected my chosen variety of security. I like to have clarity in the dialog for controlling internet connections. This leads me to use Private Firewall, because the dialog here matches moreso my mental sequences for managing the connections. That said, I wish that I could find a way to use CF and feel that I can trust the program 100%.

I have looked at the CF help pdf, and I have tried to give the program every chance. Also, cruelsister has a very interesting angle on how to set up CF that I would like to try. However, I wonder if there are some out there who would like to understand the inner workings of CF. Seems to me there was more of a passion for this going back to the mid 2000s, when Comodo was becoming a known thing. Now, while I am sure it works fine for most, there seems to be little interest in presenting schemes for the use of the program in more than just one way.

Pity the Comodo forum has become so dull. I have always wished that responses there could be more considered, and there is so much potential.

cruelsister, I know you have made your settings for CF public, and you have clearly explained them. I wonder if you have considered, however, taking a deeper look into the flow of the program for the benefit of those who may prefer to attempt to use HIPS or may be desiring to make extensive use of the firewall's connection blocking capabilities. I would love to see a breakdown of, for example, ways to set up CF with broader explanations of the overall user interaction with the program with a given set of choices. What happens if you use cruelsister's set up with HIPS? How can I better monitor system connections using CF? This kind of thing.

Auto-sandboxing seems amazing. However, I am lost as to the specifics of what happens with this. 360 TS has a sandbox, which can be useful for the browser, and I have made use of it in the past. That said, it doesn't block (as I understand things) indiscreet internet connections or crummy info grabbing.

I have really studied carefully Private Firewall, because I feel like I can. I would love to do the same with CF, but I find myself lost mentally to grasp in the deepest details what is the guiding philosophy of the development of the program. If anyone ever would like to do a back and forth about the strengths and limitations of CF v PF, I would be very interested to contribute what knowledge I have gained over the last 4-5 years.

To cruelsister, thanks for standing behind the performance of CF and its obviously solid handling of auto-sandboxing. You are doing computer users a service as far as I am concerned.

R

Rodney74

I can never understand the antipathy that some have about Comodo and the reasons for it:

1). Forums- I must agree that the product forums at C are staffed by annoying robots, but a majority of company sponsored forums also leave a bit to be desired. Avast will frequently not answer any issues that they find uncomfortable, and my personal favorite is the Symantec Endpoint forum (User: I was just infected by the X malware and my Network is trashed! what should I do? Symantec- No problem, we've just added the definition to the database).

2). Thinking the CEO is a Dope- a proper method of choosing a security solution should be based on how well it protects and not on what amounts to a Personality Cult. The corollary of not using the excellent CF because you dislike Melih is using another substandard product because the CEO of that company likes puppies.

3). "There was a flaw in PrivDog so I won't use anything by them"- so since there are frequent breaches of Flash no one should ever use PhotoShop? We would never have another UFO or Bigfoot photo if that were the case!

Dear CS...

I would like to know if you can list the settings you would choose for performance and security while using Comodo Firewall. You pointed to a couple of your videos, and I watched them, but the settings changed from video to video.

Thank You.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.