App Review Comodo Internet Security 2020

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
Comodo Internet Security 2020 v12.2.2.8012
Installation (rating)
4.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
It is simple is good
Performance (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Is one excellent antimalware, antilogger, protect and prevent agaisnt ransomwares, spywares...
Browser protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Freeware
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Ransomware protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Compatible with other anti-virus software
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Can be complex in some situations
Time spent using product
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
Overall rating
4.00 star(s)

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Comodo is a trash/scam company, with even more trash/scam products, with even more trash developers
who abandon all their products to the death.

Their website is not updated for years, it's "the worst" website between all cybersecurity companys websites ( if we ignore eScan )

their support ( Geekbuddy ) is bunch of lazy people sleeping behind their PCs 24/7, so they call it 24/7 support but every text you send it takes them about 15-20 minutes ( if you're lucky ) to answer to that chat, notice this is Online live chat support. they've been like this for years, nothing changed.

all they have left is bunch of die hard fanboys and even they are leaving it behind.
There is no Windows 11 support by the way, not officialy at least, the Software you've used to review is 2020 version. and the link to new Firewall, well the link mentioned on their forum i believe, since if you try their website as Comodo.com and go to Home section, there is no such thing as New Firewall, it's the same trash AV they're offering and it supports up to Win 10. even in the link they've mentioned in their forum as "New Firewall" it says they only support up to Win10 officialy. no Win11.

Thanks for your review of course!

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
For me killing of comodo cloud av, having their forums breached, 2 years no single update for CIS killed the hype i had

Sure it gets signature/database updates and still is honorable software to cover your computer, but i would not recommend it to anyone than geeks anymore

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
For me killing of comodo cloud av, having their forums breached, 2 years no single update for CIS killed the hype i had

Sure it gets signature/database updates and still is honorable software to cover your computer, but i would not recommend it to anyone than geeks anymore

Couldn’t agree more. Currently running the firewall alongside Emsisoft and F-Secure. No problems whatsoever. Was a fan, in the 90’s, but it’s almost abandonware. ✌️

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Nice review, no matter our personal preferences, it is always nice to read reviews of people who actually used software for a substantial time. (y)

One thing I don't understand, the title says Comodo Internet Security 2020 v12.2.2.8012, while MT-member Koloveli used this software for over a year, starting in 2021.

@koloveli any special reason why you preferred the Comodo Internet Security 2020 (over the 2021 version, assuming you could have used the 2021 version when you started using CIS in 2021)

Last edited by a moderator:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
@Max90 There is no 2021 free version. There's a CIS Pro trial that expires after 30 days of which you eventually get an option to stick with a free version only after a few nag screens.

My love/hate for CIS/CF comes and goes but it's Containment (Auto-Sandboxing) capability is undeniable despite lack of any updates.

While not 100% perfect my alternative @Andy Ful 's Hard_Configurator setup with MD/CD/FWH is quite strong and any executable is run by SmartScreen so far serving me well though I still dabble in Comodo when @cruelsister puts out more videos but I guess there's a balance of what works best for people.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@Max90 There is no 2021 free version. There's a CIS Pro trial that expires after 30 days of which you eventually get an option to stick with a free version only after a few nag screens.

My love/hate for CIS/CF comes and goes but it's Containment (Auto-Sandboxing) capability is undeniable despite lack of any updates.

While not 100% perfect my alternative @Andy Ful 's Hard_Configurator setup with MD/CD/FWH is quite strong and any executable is run by SmartScreen so far serving me well though I still dabble in Comodo when @cruelsister puts out more videos but I guess there's a balance of what works best for people.
OK thanks I understand now, so Comodo has not had major updates in two years, You are right to abandon it and use Andy's tools to increase the protection of Microsoft build-in.

On my wife's Windows11 home laptop I also use Andy's software. With CD on MAX and H_C default deny for SUA. It is hard to imagine how moderate/low risk PC-user would be infected with such a setup (has to pass WD cloud whitelist and default deny in SUA and elevate to Admin). Yesterday Windows updated without asking for elevation or needing to go into admin account. These are the benefits of selling your soul to Microsoft (we run Office2019 and use Edge as browser).

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
I have CIS installed on old computer. I am not a fanboy, more I like CIS/CF because of the firewall. It is configured not to issue alerts and block all requests, using on an account SUA and with everything enabled as the hips ;)

Firewall_Settings_My_Config_CIS.png

Andrezj

Level 6
Nov 21, 2022
comodo products, in developer parlance, are always in maintenance status, which means only fixes that the developer chooses to do
on the comodo forum there is long thread discussing how comodo products are almost never fixed
it is up to the user to figure this out and determine if it bothers them enough to not use the product

koloveli

Level 4
Thread author
Well-known
Sep 13, 2012
Nice review, no matter our personal preferences, it is always nice to read reviews of people who actually used software for a substantial time. (y)

One thing I don't understand, the title says Comodo Internet Security 2020 v12.2.2.8012, while MT-member Koloveli used this software for over a year, starting in 2021.

@koloveli any special reason why you preferred the Comodo Internet Security 2020 (over the 2021 version, assuming you could have used the 2021 version when you started using CIS in 2021)
Comodo i use since version 2... your firewall is the best(i test every);
In 2006 i used other software security, friends hacked me jokin. I changed for product comodo and since then i test firewalls, but in my tests comodo is ever best(antilogger, excellet firewall, virtualization...);

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
I'm not pulling bag of @koloveli, but the comodo firewall can prevent the C&C connection "A mechanism used by malware to exfiltrate data from an infected host to a remote server controlled by the attacker." In windows firewall this will not be possible because by default windows firewall outgoing connections are allowed, this is a differentiator in comodo firewall that you have control on incoming and outgoing connections. (y)

Last edited:

Malleable

Level 1
Mar 2, 2021
According to the Comodo website the free version apparently no longer includes the firewall (way down the page).

Addendum: while the old dl link still works on the new free firewall page the executable file name has now changed from the perennial cfw_installer.exe to the new and improved cmd_fw_installer_138430009_eb.exe. My current version was 12.2.2.8012 so I downloaded the new and improved version, uninstalled the old one, installed it and reloaded the cruelsister enhancements. After going through the myriad of alerts I checked the new version and, lo and behold, it now reads 12.2.2.8012. The file sizes went from 5,711,824 bytes for cfw_installer.exe to 5,711,824 bytes for cmd_fw_installer_138430009_eb.exe. When I'm done digesting these findings I'll post my opinion.
Original cfw link: https://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/8050/standalone/cfw_installer.exe
New and improved cfw link: Free Firewall Download | Firewall Security software for Windows
Apparently the new link may have been extensively cookiefied as my Firefox settings block it while Edge, in it's own endearing way, let me go anywhere I want.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

1671466070596.png

When I tried to download the free stand alone firewall, but I got to many redirects, so don't know whether it is still available using alternative download.
I have not tried the new FREE, but it seems that CCAV is back (free now is cloud based) :cool:, a pity it is still not compatible with Windows 11 ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: piquiteco and Jack

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.