App Review Comodo Internet Security 8.2 BETA Review (Languy99)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
I agree 100% that Comodo does have a lot of potential, especially their up coming product, and yes, it is very difficult to trust them, I think Kaspersky you can trust to not put a backdoor in place for the FBI or NSA.

When threatened with legal consequences from either governmental agencies or any 3rd party ... you can't trust any vendor. In the end, they will all comply in order to stay in business.

I know of only one case where a software vendor chose to cease all operations (decided to "close up shop") as a means not to comply with government coercion.

So with only that one case, it is safe to say virtually all will put their own pocket before your privacy/security.

Reactions: bitbizket

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
The basis being, Russia hates the US and would not (I think) allow the NSA access to their software. Whether or not that is true, we will never know.

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader
H

hjlbx

Thread author
It is quite simple really. If the NSA chose, it can force any AV vendor, using various legal means, to include backdoor/surveillance access to any licenses sold to consumers on US soil. How such a thing is enforced is problematic, but similar measures have been written into law elsewhere in the world - especially in Germany.

The point is not NSA access to Kasperky's internal systems, but access to the individual user's system(s).

AV vendors can be forced to do it simply by a filtering user's top domain level access or any of a whole slew of different ways...many more than of which I am aware. Nico@FMA would know much better on the subject, so I defer to him if he enters the discussion.

In the end, the software vendor may decide it is not worth all the trouble and not market the product in that particular nation. However, in the case I cite we all know people would download/purchase from the net anyways by using VPNs and specifying exit nodes. Where there is a will...there definitely is a way where IT is concerned.

From a enforcement standpoint such measures aren't very practical.

Despite this fact as governmental paranoia continues to increase, with the consequent increase in IT surveillance, it will become more and more common... perhaps until internet privacy is written completely out of the books in the name of national security.

George Orwell here we come...

Reactions: bitbizket

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
When threatened with legal consequences from either governmental agencies or any 3rd party ... you can't trust any vendor. In the end, they will all comply in order to stay in business.

I know of only one case where a software vendor chose to cease all operations (decided to "close up shop") as a means not to comply with government coercion.

So with only that one case, it is safe to say virtually all will put their own pocket before your privacy/security.
Pretty sure Kaspersky is way out of Obama's grasp.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
The only problem with Comodo, is you cannot remove it from your system. Yes, I can see another Cold War coming, Russia will only be pushed so far. And no way would Vladimir Putin (who is great friends with Kaspersky) allow the USA access to Russian servers/software.

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Very, very interesting discussion. Just a few points of extreme value:

1). Qihoo does indeed seek out and steal user passwords, especially Bank Account information. They need to put their multi-billion dollar corporation at risk in order to pirate the few thousand (if that) their users have in order to supplement the 1.7 billion USD that they already are sitting on. And needless to say the need your Facebook login so as to discover what restaurant you are going to.

2). Of more import is the NSA. The NSA (actually stands for Nazi Space Aliens) not only have installed backdoors in every software application in existence, but also have developed an advanced scanner (based on the moon- but I'm not allowed to tell you WHICH moon) that reads your thoughts. The Resistance fortunately has developed an item that will counteract this, however:

6a00d8341c565553ef01538ee48d4e970b-pi

Hope this helps...

H

hjlbx

Thread author
LOL...that's funny !

Most of us that live is western civ can laugh...because we have the luxury of being able to do so.

Not so funny for those that live in countries where security agencies will break down the door and stomp their brains in based upon something as little as a "sniff" of the user's online activities...

Just sayin'.

http://www.eutimes.net/2011/10/germany-admits-using-trojan-to-spy-on-citizens/

https://grahamcluley.com/2015/02/china-backdoor/

https://citizenlab.org/2014/06/backdoor-hacking-teams-tradecraft-android-implant/

I could provide a whole bunch more links but it is pretty pointless...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tony Cole

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Well the CIA did try out mind control experiments in the 1950's, they never worked, but, who's going to argue with them.....? But yes, the NSA, I think has destroyed the worlds trust, and in many ways thanks to Edward Snowden for letting us see what our Governments are doing!

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Judging from the comments on here it would seem that the NSA has firmly got a grip on the general public and we are all now in a severe state of paranoia and mistrust.

Disconnecting from the internet altogether is one solution or we can revert back to wartime england and introduce internet rationing.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Judging from the comments on here it would seem that the NSA has firmly got a grip on the general public and we are all now in a severe state of paranoia and mistrust.

Disconnecting from the internet altogether is one solution or we can revert back to wartime england and introduce internet rationing.

Lot's of neurotic security consciousness here at MT ! :D

Reactions: Amiga500
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
ummmm...interesting discussion.

just for your infos, if the FBI or any other intelligence service want datas from your computer, they don't need a backdoor from security vendors, they already have it from Microsoft, not saying they have many datas interception methods ranging from phishing you via your ISP or just enter in your house and steal your computer :D

vendors allowing backdoors is just smoke screen.

i don't know all the details of Comodo 's new drama , if someone could resume it , i will be grateful ^^

Reactions: Moose

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.