SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Please let us know. I still have the laptops of my kids to upgrade and don't want to refresh them.
EDIT: Thinking about the problems could @NoVirusThanks SysHardener at default settings have interfered?
Doubt it as i don't use it atm. Actually, i had no other security application running. Will try and do it over the weekend and let you know.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Guys- With a new Major Comodo Build, best practice is either to:

1). If you have a need to be the First One on Your Block to install Comodo outside of the internal updater, PLEASE UNINSTALL THE OLD VERSION FIRST!!!! ALL OF IT!!!! (sorry for the shout!), or
2). WAIT for the internal updater version- it won't be long...

I should add this- I NEVER EVER (Never, ever) install a new major Build in the first days that it is available. I let the "I gotta have this NOW!!!!!!!!" crowd work out the bugs in the first week. Then when the internal update version is available I will ignore it, wipe out the old build and do a fresh install of the new build using my settings.

Just remember that I feel any personal Rules added are uneeded and potentially harmful. I like Easy.

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Please let us know. I still have the laptops of my kids to upgrade and don't want to refresh them.
EDIT: Thinking about the problems could @NoVirusThanks SysHardener at default settings have interfered?
Didn't work and i personally gave up. Can't waste my time with comodo as it's a known bug magnet. At some point you will get one. Maybe wait for the auto updater. For me windows firewall will do the job for now until i can have time to format.

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
If the problem does not occur at the present time, I think that it is better not to upgrade the version in a hurry. Comodo occasionally provides updates that contain bothersome bugs.
That's a good point but if this is the reason for the delay, I mean try to eliminate bugs or something other than that. Because it's almost a week out for clean installation and not in BETA.

I

illumination

That's a good point but if this is the reason for the delay, I mean try to eliminate bugs or something other than that. Because it's almost a week out for clean installation and not in BETA.
It really depends on the changes made in the product as to how stable an Upgrade vs clean install will go. Clean install will negate most if not all incompatibilities an upgrade could produce from those changes and takes longer for them to push out the normal channels, at the same time, they are normally hounded to hurry up and release versions because of the fanboys, so they push a stable/clean install version out first. This also gives them an opportunity to fine tune bugs that may be found by those willing to do a clean install of this version, so in the end, this method probably works out best for them and is actually used by many other companies.

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
It really depends on the changes made in the product as to how stable an Upgrade vs clean install will go. Clean install will negate most if not all incompatibilities an upgrade could produce from those changes and takes longer for them to push out the normal channels, at the same time, they are normally hounded to hurry up and release versions because of the fanboys, so they push a stable/clean install version out first. This also gives them an opportunity to fine tune bugs that may be found by those willing to do a clean install of this version, so in the end, this method probably works out best for them and is actually used by many other companies.
Thanks. now it's clear to me!

I

illumination

Had some down time today, due to it being blazing hot here, so threw CIS V11 into the Vm for a spin. After a lengthy process of unticking crud i did not desire, i had it set up and rolling with a proactive config custom set. It has been quite some time since i have thrown CIS in for a drive, and i was pleasantly surprised to find it to be quite stable. One session in the Vm is never enough for me though, so will leave it in for a bit and dig around some ;)

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Had some down time today, due to it being blazing hot here, so threw CIS V11 into the Vm for a spin. After a lengthy process of unticking crud i did not desire, i had it set up and rolling with a proactive config custom set. It has been quite some time since i have thrown CIS in for a drive, and i was pleasantly surprised to find it to be quite stable. One session in the Vm is never enough for me though, so will leave it in for a bit and dig around some ;)

... and I can wait for cruelsister to take it for a spin and tell us her thoughts. Last I heard, she was on hold.

Reactions: Weebarra and Nestor

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
after update over the previous version, I continously get problem of CF service using 13% of CPU, endlessly. I use task manager to close and after 2 hours, it happens again. I have got it at least 6 times even after reverting the profile/configuration
I think I will need a clean install to fix it
can't find the culprit

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
after update over the previous version, I continously get problem of CF service using 13% of CPU, endlessly. I use task manager to close and after 2 hours, it happens again. I have got it at least 6 times even after reverting the profile/configuration
I think I will need a clean install to fix it
can't find the culprit
Can you update over the previous version?I have to try again today because yesterday it was not possible.

Reactions: Evjl's Rain

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Can you update over the previous version?I have to try again today because yesterday it was not possible.
I downloaded the installer and installed it on top. I don't think it's a good way because it's not fluent as autoupdate
autoupdate is not available for now

Reactions: Nestor

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You can export your config settings, and your file rating settings.
Then uninstall, reboot, install new version, import your settings.
The only thing you will lose is your customized Trusted Vendors List, if you had one.
TIP: Always uninstall from an admin account, and reboot to that same admin account. Otherwise, there will be remnants, because the cleanup script will not run at reboot.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.