Comodo might come back from the grave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Oh my word @Oerlink - you are almost not demonstrating any understanding with other people's arguments? Its either a black or white- a win or lose! Let's just summarize by saying "You win good sir - everyone else loses and knows nothing" :) We just use our computers like typewriters. Peace out ❤️

Flat Earthers attack demanding proof that the Earth is spherical.
But even if you show them the body of the crime, the weapon and the murderer... fanboys will die repeating the mantra: "Comodo has no bugs, Comodo does not need updates, Comodo is compatible with Windows 11, If Comodo works for me then works for everybody, blah blah blah".

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Proof?

That is not true. Comodo has never officially stated "Comodo is not compatible with Windows 11." Again, what a low-level employee posts on a support forum is not official. It is unofficial. This is a matter of established consumer law.

This is not true either. Comodo forum gets archived when a new release will be made. Nobody at Comodo is censoring anything.

What serious risks to security? Proof?

We all get that your point of view is for users to exercise caution with regard to Comodo, but you are making numerous statements that are either outright not true or not substantiated by evidence.
3. Screenshots:
Comodo Internet Security 2023 Web capture_5-2-2023_16913_www.comodo.com.jpeg

Comodo Antivirus 2023 Web capture_5-2-2023_16715_www.comodo.com.jpeg

Sources:

Last edited by a moderator:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Now, why I don't recommend Comodo? Answer:
1. Comodo home products have lot of dangerous bugs. And almost nothing was fixed during the last +two years.
2. Also, no updates in more than +two years.
3. Also, Comodo is not officially compatible with Win 11.
Personally, I think that reasons "1." and "2." above are more than enough for not recommending Comodo.
That said, if Comodo fixes bugs + updates its products + makes them compatible with Win 11, only then... I'll say that Comodo Firewall with @cruelsister settings is "superb".
Not currently running CF on my win10, but why should I wait until CF is officially compatible with win11 to reinstall it on win10 with @cruelsister tweaks which disable HIPS, the feature reporting bugs. Has win10 changed in the past 2 years sufficiently to render CF dead? I don't know, but I read cruelsister to say it isn't dead, no need to abandon CF. I don't know, but I think at some point, all things being equal, an app gets refined to the point that it does not require ongoing updates...?? Certainly plausible that some reported bugs are user errors / misunderstandings. But would agree cybersecurity is a moving target, has there been a report of malware breaching CF?

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Hi,

I have Googled around to understand why they provide their EDR for free (looked at the market share they have according to some market watchers and consulting firms) and how they position themselves. On their website they compare themselves with other solutions. To my surprise the Cruel Sister config is the default for their business solutions, When you realize that Melih cashed out on Comodo CA (sold and rebranded to Sectigo) he should have some money to spend. I think it is fair he pays CruelSister for her config idea.

1675713203435.png

When you look at Xcitium about us page and compare it with Comodo about us page, you see the same heads for all IT related stuff. When you realise that the best those guys (Fatih Orhan - COO, Erdal Ozkaya CIO, Ozer Metin - CTO) come up with in the last decade is to copy Cruel Sister's Config for Comodo and make it the default for their new Xcitium business line :) I say go go @cruelsister (y) diamonds are a girl's best friend (sorry could not find an appropriate Blondie song, hope you are not offended with M.)

PS. Their lack of vision also explains Comodo's drunk man product development approach in the last two decades (starting many new projects and abandoning them later on).

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Thank you @goodjohnjr for this! I am sure despite all of this @Oerlink will have very cogent arguments to systematically tell us all "we are wrong and using typewriters"
You are welcome, I posted that with one of my comments yesterday, but oddly no one seems to have noticed; and I even gave links to the Comodo website pages for both products & the free products page where I took the screenshots from.

Sources for those screenshots:

That is one of the reasons why I did not install Comodo to try it out again for the first time in years at the end of last year, when I did not see Windows 11 listed as a compatible operating system on their own download pages even after over a year since Windows 11 was released.

There is a chance that they just have not bothered to update their own download / product pages in almost two years, if so, that is still a bad look.

Last edited:

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022
You are welcome, I posted that with one of my comments yesterday, but oddly no one seems to have noticed; and I even gave links to the Comodo website pages for both products & the free products page where I took the screenshots from.
I did notice and wrote about it too in my reply to @Oerlink but there have been too many posts here. Perhaps it went unnoticed. I am with you all the way sir!

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Not currently running CF on my win10, but why should I wait until CF is officially compatible with win11 to reinstall it on win10 with @cruelsister tweaks which disable HIPS, the feature reporting bugs. Has win10 changed in the past 2 years sufficiently to render CF dead? I don't know, but I read cruelsister to say it isn't dead, no need to abandon CF. I don't know, but I think at some point, all things being equal, an app gets refined to the point that it does not require ongoing updates...?? Certainly plausible that some reported bugs are user errors / misunderstandings. But would agree cybersecurity is a moving target, has there been a report of malware breaching CF?
You should never use any software because one person or a bunch of persons recommend you to use it.
Software reputation is not based on SUBJECTIVE experiences or INDIVIDUAL experiments.

In the other hand, if "a software doesn't need updates because is too good"... then why Comodo itself doesn't say that?
It is not Comodo that is saying its software hasn't bugs, or doesn't need updates, or is compatible with Win 11 blah blah blah... be careful! That garbage is only said by fanboy&girls.

You always should use software that fixes its bugs, makes updates, and officially is 100% percent compatible with Win 11.
Even if you are fine with the bugs, no updates, and Win incompatibilities, you should always use security software that is well maintained.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trident

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I did notice and wrote about it too in my reply to @Oerlink but there have been too many posts here. Perhaps it went unnoticed. I am with you all the way sir!
Thank you, Bumblebee Uncle, I missed that.

I was hoping to see the response to the evidence that was not only asked for but was needed, so that part of things could finally be put to rest; and the discussion could continue to move on based on facts.

I was surprised and disappointed by the silence so far, comments were made, but that part was ignored and / or not noticed by those who asked for it and / or required it and / or denied that.

I started to wonder if the screenshots were invisible or something. :D

Anyway, I just wanted to share that, so that I & others would know that I had not imagined seeing something like that at the end of last year; and that it still has not changed yet this year, perhaps Comodo will update their products pages eventually to acknowledge the current version of Windows for almost two years now.

Hopefully, Comodo can return from the grave / the coma and be better, we need more options, especially in the free & budget categories & cross-platform & cross product categories (especially from American(?) companies).

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

compared to what Comodo's does is ignore the problem (e.g. Windows 11 compatibility), don't provide a solution and keep claiming that "cyber security breeches stop here".
Just because Comodo has not made an update or made a statement about Windows 11 does not mean it is ignoring anything.

There is no proof that the Comodo protections are not working on Windows 11. Comodo issuing an update, which will amount to a GUI update and some bug fixes will not improve its underlying security. It does not have to make any adjustments to its protections on Windows 11 unless it is proven that the protections do not work on Windows 11. Melih is not going to direct his staff to go on a fishing expedition to discover all the possible issues on Windows 11 just because it makes users "feel good."

What do people not understand about this?

The other thing is that Melih just does not care what people think and what they post on forums. He has stated as much on his own forum and given the reasons why.

Did the takeover by Xcitium change something in your professional relation with Comodo (only asking because you used past tense)?
Xcitium takeover? There is no Xcitium takeover. Comodo just changed the name (re-branded) of the product from Comodo to Xcitium. Xcitium IS Comodo.

Allow me to say that bug number 20 is one of the dangerous bugs, it renders HIPS protection insecure by deleting its own CIS default HIPS rules and the HIPS rules you've created yourself.
The custom HIPS rules being created by the user getting deleted does not make the HIPS insecure. Neither does deleting the default HIPS rules which are there for convenience. It is an annoyance more than anything else, but it is understandable that users who want to use the HIPS would be troubled by it.

The bug about the disappearance of HIPS rules has been reported since version 5 and Comodo has said it will never fix it.

It has been a long standing problem that the forum does not keep a list of all the things that Comodo has stated it will not fix. So the same bugs get reported every version. The forum volunteers keep submitting them to Comodo, and Comodo keeps ignoring them because, it has already stated it will not fix the issue.

Flat Earthers attack demanding proof that the Earth is spherical.
But even if you show them the body of the crime, the weapon and the murderer... fanboys will die repeating the mantra: "Comodo has no bugs, Comodo does not need updates, Comodo is compatible with Windows 11, If Comodo works for me then works for everybody, blah blah blah".
You have not supplied a single shred of evidence while at the same time making false statements.

Who said "Comodo has no bugs, Comodo does not need updates, Comodo is compatible with Windows 11, Comodo works for me then works for everybody"? Not one person has stated that anywhere on this forum.

Everybody would agree with you if someone here actually said any of those things, but no one has.

Plus you have willfully ignored the facts which have been given to you. For example, you claim that Comodo is censoring bug reports when I've told you twice that sections of the Comodo forum are archived when a new release will be made in the coming months. Comodo has followed this practice from the very beginning of the forum. You keep claiming that Comodo is quashing users on the forum and that is a false statement.

Thank you @goodjohnjr for this! I am sure despite all of this @Oerlink will have very cogent arguments to systematically tell us all "we are wrong and using typewriters"
Where did I say that you all are wrong?

Comodo not updating their website to include Windows 11 does not mean a thing. Lots of vendors do not update their webpages in a timely manner. Is that the extent of evidence that is "Proof that Comodo is saying its product is not compatible with Windows 11"?

In the other hand, if "a software doesn't need updates because is too good"... then why Comodo itself doesn't say that?
Why would Comodo ever say that? Comodo has always fixed reports of security problems that it can replicate and confirm as valid.

You are automatically assuming what is reported on the Comodo forum is valid. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of it is not. That is what the forum volunteers are there for. To sort out the huge mess of things reported on the forum that are not actually any kind of real problem. If what is reported is confirmed to be a serious security issue, then those reports go directly to Comodo. It is not the job of Comodo employees to sift through and confirm all the stuff reported on the forum. What they are responsible for is to review what the forum volunteers submit to them in a private channel\bugzilla. That private channel contains a fraction of what is on the public forum. Why is that? Because, again, most of what gets reported on the forum is not valid.

It is not Comodo that is saying its software hasn't bugs, or doesn't need updates, or is compatible with Win 11 blah blah blah... be careful! That garbage is only said by fanboy&girls.
lol, not one person here said those things.

I do not know what people do not understand about Comodo. There have always been complaints about long time periods between updates. Melih stated the product is free, he subsidizes it, and he provides it at his pleasure as he sees fit. Don't like it? Then don't use the product.

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You have not supplied a single shred of evidence while at the same time making false statements.

I don't have to prove nothing to anybody because this is not the place to present evidences.

For 3 years I participated at Comodo' forum reporting bugs, and making critics or recommendations.
The thread was unilaterally deleted by Comodo.
And no, this is not common Comodo' praxis. A thread might be deleted after upgrades. And this never happened.
My case is not special.
Lot of users like me suffered same Comodo censorship.
Anyway, I want to say that Comodo' page is the right place to prove whatever need to be proven... despite the fact Comodo destroys evidences.

But if you still need evidences, I suggest you to visit again Comodo' page, because several heroes there keep an endless list reporting dangerous bugs.

My personal opinion is that you're more interested on "winning the debate at any cost".
You don't really want evidences.

PS: You don't realize that your line of argument is so week, that every single affirmation you say... has no evidence. I invite you to prove:
... that Comodo was updated.
... that Comodo doesn't need upgrades.
... that Comodo hasn't bugs.
... that Comodo is compatible with Win 11.
... etc

The fact you reject others arguments... it doesn't prove your arguments.

Last edited:

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022
Just because Comodo has not made an update or made a statement about Windows 11 does not mean it is ignoring anything.

There is no proof that the Comodo protections are not working on Windows 11. Comodo issuing an update, which will amount to a GUI update and some bug fixes will not improve its underlying security. It does not have to make any adjustments to its protections on Windows 11 unless it is proven that the protections do not work on Windows 11. Melih is not going to direct his staff to go on a fishing expedition to discover all the possible issues on Windows 11 just because it makes users "feel good."

What do people not understand about this?

The other thing is that Melih just does not care what people think and what they post on forums. He has stated as much on his own forum and given the reasons why.

Xcitium takeover? There is no Xcitium takeover. Comodo just changed the name (re-branded) of the product from Comodo to Xcitium. Xcitium IS Comodo.

The custom HIPS rules being created by the user getting deleted does not make the HIPS insecure. Neither does deleting the default HIPS rules which are there for convenience. It is an annoyance more than anything else, but it is understandable that users who want to use the HIPS would be troubled by it.

The bug about the disappearance of HIPS rules has been reported since version 5 and Comodo has said it will never fix it.

It has been a long standing problem that the forum does not keep a list of all the things that Comodo has stated it will not fix. So the same bugs get reported every version. The forum volunteers keep submitting them to Comodo, and Comodo keeps ignoring them because, it has already stated it will not fix the issue.

Who said "Comodo has no bugs, Comodo does not need updates, Comodo is compatible with Windows 11, Comodo works for me then works for everybody"? Not one person has stated that anywhere on this forum.

Everybody would agree with you if someone here actually said any of those things, but no one has.

Plus you have willfully ignored the facts which have been given to you. For example, you claim that Comodo is censoring bug reports when I've told you twice that sections of the Comodo forum are archived when a new release will be made in the coming months. Comodo has followed this practice from the very beginning of the forum. You keep claiming that Comodo is quashing users on the forum and that is a false statement.

Where did I say that you all are wrong?

Comodo not updating their website to include Windows 11 does not mean a thing. Lots of vendors do not update their webpages in a timely manner. Is that the extent of evidence that is "Proof that Comodo is saying its product is not compatible with Windows 11"?

Why would Comodo ever say that? Comodo has always fixed reports of security problems that it can replicate and confirm as valid.

You are automatically assuming what is reported on the Comodo forum is valid. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of it is not. That is what the forum volunteers are there for. To sort out the huge mess of things reported on the forum that are not actually any kind of real problem. If what is reported is confirmed to be a serious security issue, then those reports go directly to Comodo. It is not the job of Comodo employees to sift through and confirm all the stuff reported on the forum. What they are responsible for is to review what the forum volunteers submit to them in a private channel\bugzilla. That private channel contains a fraction of what is on the public forum. Why is that? Because, again, most of what gets reported on the forum is not valid.

lol, not one person here said those things.

I do not know what people do not understand about Comodo. There have always been complaints about long time periods between updates. Melih stated the product is free, he subsidizes it, and he provides it at his pleasure as he sees fit. Don't like it? Then don't use the product.
My final reply to you and after this, I am not posting here anymore. Look at what Comodo's own moderator have to say about this issue:

1675718744141.png

Do I trust their word over you or according to you they are just a low level employee! Perhaps you know so much about Comodo that it is your word against everyone else's. The software (despite the fact that it is good and works) has not received any software updates for two years or so and is known to be buggy ( I have also had personal issues with it running it alongside on Windows defender on a PC with very high specs).

I am sorry but despite all of this, if nothing satisfies you, then "I rest my case". You win the battle sir. I surrender :)

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
you should always use security software that is well maintained.
I agree if updates are available you should install them, usually after they've been out for a few days to avoid a "bad" update. IT happens! Meanwhile what I got from your last post was don't listen to subjective comments that a software is good, but if someone posts a message re a "bug" take it to heart, but aren't many bug reports subjective too?? Depends who is making the bog report and also who is reporting something is good...

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Fair point, so they just happen to miss the introduction of Windows11. That could have happened to any security vendor.

From now on I might be missing your posts, that does not mean I am ignoring you :)

Pico

Level 4
Feb 6, 2023

The bug would make HIPS protection insecure to average users who do not know how to handle the sudden bombardment of HIPS alerts when all HIPS rules are deleted/gone and who do not know what is happening or what - out of the blue - is going on on their system. Users might start to panic when seeing the flood of HIPS alerts and might make wrong decisions in answering them, allowing HIPS actions related to malware could be part of that.
Also when this bug happens the whole system might freeze at startup when users don't get to see the HIPS alerts. Or the system might freeze during normal use when HIPS wants to block certain app actions and users have to wait for 2 minutes before seeing a related HIPS alert.

The CIS default HIPS rules are not there for your convenience, those rules are the back bone of the whole HIPS feature especially the pro-active HIPS rules.

Because of this bug it is broadly being advertised to switch off HIPS, you don't really need it..

Comodo ignoring reported bugs and states that certain reported bugs will not be fixed? I must be living in another dimension!

Last edited:
Reactions: Trident
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Do I trust their word over you or according to you they are just a low level employee!
What position does that person hold at Comodo? It lists only forum "moderator." Perhaps they are only a community manager. That is a low-level position within a company. Even a junior developer is a low-level position, as opposed to a high-level one like a senior manager or executive.

That comment made by the Comodo "moderator" is with regards to a crash. It says nothing, not even implied, about Comodo providing diminished security on Windows 11.

Why don't one of you submit this question to Comodo support for a definitive answer instead of making arguments based on weak evidence:

"Is Comodo insecure on Windows 11? Are there compatibility issues with Windows 11 that make the product insecure?"

The software (despite the fact that it is good and works) has not received any software updates for two years or so and is known to be buggy ( I have also had personal issues with it running it alongside on Windows defender on a PC with very high specs).
Comodo has always been criticized for long periods of time between updates and upgrades. That is just how Melih does it and he is not going to change.

Also, Comodo has always been very buggy. That has been a complaint about ALL Comodo software since the company was founded. This is what Melih said about it "Software has bugs. Some of them get fixed over time." More or less, if people do not like it, then they do not have to use the product.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Fair point, so they just happen to miss the introduction of Windows11. That could have happened to any security vendor.

From now on I might be missing your posts, that does not mean I am ignoring you :)
"It is freeware, so be happy that you get anything at all."

-- Melih

You do realize that Comodo does not, and never has, developed its security software based upon Windows releases? The Comodo CEO makes Comodo available as freeware when, where, and how he sees fit. Obviously creating a new version with the Windows 11 release was not important to him, and why should it be? It is freeware, and there is no proof that the protections are broken on Windows 11.\

I will spell it out for you... Melih deliberately did not make an update to Comodo when Windows 11 was released. He was busy with much more important things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.