Advice Request comodo protected data folders vs ransomwares

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Protected data folders will shield those areas on your system from any unrecognized process.
But if the encryptor was mistakenly categorized, and given trusted status, then Protected data folders will not help you. So to a certain extent, this feature is redundant.

Maxwell Sien

Level 2
Verified
Nov 15, 2016
Good Idea, you want to add any folder so that any file inside that folder are safe from Ransomware.

But to do this, you must add new folder in Protected Files, not Protected Data Folders.

Here is the different: (Source)

• Protected Files - Allows you to specify programs, applications and files that are to be protected from changes
  • Protected Data Folders - Allows you prevent contained programs from accessing files inside specific, protected folders
Tip: Files and folders that are added to 'Protected Files' interface are allowed read access by other programs but cannot be modified, whereas the files/folders in 'Protected Data folders' are totally hidden to contained programs. If you want a file to be read by other programs but protected from modifications, then add it to 'Protected Files' list. If you want to totally conceal a data file from all the contained programs but allow read/write access by other known/trusted programs, then add it to 'Protected Data Folders'.

If you specified a new folder to Protected Data Folders, you just protect it from Sandbox Process. But if you add to Protected Files, you protect it from 'Real Process', not just Sandboxed Process.

Nowadayas, Ransomware come along with trusted programs (Windows Macro Script, Powershell, Bitsadmin), not with unrecognized programs. So, I afraid that Ransomware process cannot be included in Auto-Containment.

Reactions: darko999 and AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
But if you add to Protected Files, you protect it from 'Real Process', not just Sandboxed Process.
That is how they make it sound in the Comodo help, but it doesn't really work that way. It only protects those areas from changes made by unrecognized processes.
I added my entire C drive to protected files, and it did not prevent changes made by trusted processes.
Try it out and you will see.

Reactions: erreale and AtlBo

Maxwell Sien

Level 2
Verified
Nov 15, 2016
That is how they make it sound in the Comodo help, but it doesn't really work that way. It only protects those areas from changes made by unrecognized processes.
I added my entire C drive to protected files, and it did not prevent changes made by trusted processes.
Try it out and you will see.

Yeah, I know.. But that happen only on Safe Mode. Not in Paranoid Mode.

Reactions: shmu26 and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
When it comes to protecting files, this is where Comodo could really blow malware away...a little bit smarter HIPs for some things and a little bit smarter alerts for some things. If Comodo's HIPs could know that everyone wants Paranoid for protecting personal files, that would be very helpful. What's to lose, since there aren't any user data area entries in the Protected Files area when Comodo is installed? Nobody's system is going to be borked over that setting always being Paranoid for some purposes. For example, that could be applied to start ups and scheduled tasks too. Then add a real knockdown alert for behaviors common to ransomware, spyware, bankware as part of Viruscope or Valkyrie.

A little bit smarter and Comodo will be a huge player in $$$ enterprise security if they can also create network security/command control like Kaspersky and Sophos and the other big enterprise players. And they can afford to keep the program free for home use! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yeah, I know.. But that happen only on Safe Mode. Not in Paranoid Mode.
Thanks for info, I didn't know that. I gotta try out that paranoid mode again...

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe that is why I had such severe "forgetting rules" problems when I switched to Paranoid mode last time. I think I had ?:* as an entry in Protected Files. Duh...

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo

Thanks for info, I didn't know that. I gotta try out that paranoid mode again...

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe that is why I had such severe "forgetting rules" problems when I switched to Paranoid mode last time. I think I had ?:* as an entry in Protected Files. Duh...

It's not that...

Maxwell Sien

Level 2
Verified
Nov 15, 2016

Paranoid Mode ignore Comodo safe list and does not attempt to learn the behavior of any applications for automatically Allow them. It depend solely on User Configurations in HIPS Rules and Rulesets.

When it comes to protecting files, this is where Comodo could really blow malware away...a little bit smarter HIPs for some things and a little bit smarter alerts for some things. If Comodo's HIPs could know that you want Paranoid for protecting your files, that would be very helpful. What's to lose, since there aren't any entries in the Protected Files area when Comodo is installed? Nobody's system is going to be borked over that setting always being Paranoid. That could be applied to start ups and scheduled tasks too. Then add a real knockdown alert for behaviors common to ransomeware, spyware, bankware.

A little bit smarter and Comodo will be a huge player in $$$ enterprise security if they can also create network security/command control like Kaspersky and Sophos and the other big enterprise players. And they can afford to keep the program free for home use! :)

Maybe in future, Comodo should Create addition Rules in HIPS that would Restrict (Block/Ask their access to Protected File/Folders) certain legitimate Windows process like mshta.exe, Rundll32.exe, Bitsadmin.exe, regsvr32.exe, Powershell.exe , wscript.exe, cscript.exe that often be used by Ransomware to Run a bad Script. So, we shouldn't switch to paranoid mode to Defending Ransomware.

Example in Eset: Configure HIPS rules for ESET business products to protect against ransomware

Last edited:
Reactions: darko999 and AtlBo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.