Status
Not open for further replies.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
So, for all the crap talking i've done about comodo I'm eating my foot on this one but oh well.

I've been testing comodo in a VM as well as having it installed (whole suite AV included) on my host machine as well. And I gotta say, the AV isn't half bad on the signature front. Not the best obviously but better than I had thought.

My question is about the cloud in CIS do cloud detection only work on-execution? because that's all I have seen them on so far.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I only use Comodo Proactive Security configuration. I don't have the "AV" so I cannot tell you =/. With aggressive settings on Comodo FW there is no need for real time AV, other than WD if you have an SSD. Yes I think Comodo AV has improved a little, it used to be a zero on detection ratio.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Don't know much about the cloud since I turned it off in CF. Anyway, CF cloud lookup only whitelists as far as I know. I guess you are mostly referring to malware detection when you mention cloud detection since you have been testing.

Have you tested CF? With CF, If it's not a Trusted Vendor it's going in the sandbox, I guess that's all the explanation required. I'd have to ditch 360 TS and Bitdefender/Avira to switch to CIS/CCAV. I don't know, and 360 keeps making little innovations where nobody sees. Maybe when Viruscope becomes a thing I might try it...:rolleyes:o_O:)

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
The AV Cloud in CF is on-execution only.

Thank you @cruelsister short, sweet, and to the point.

Have you tested CF? With CF, If it's not a Trusted Vendor it's going in the sandbox, I guess that's all the explanation required. I'd have to ditch 360 TS and Bitdefender/Avira to switch to CIS/CCAV. I don't know, and 360 keeps making little innovations where nobody sees. Maybe when Viruscope becomes a thing I might try it...:rolleyes:o_O:)

Is 360 safe to use? I tried it before and always liked it. But with all the posts i've read on it I'm a bit afraid of getting my card numbers/identity stolen lol

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Thank you @cruelsister short, sweet, and to the point.

Is 360 safe to use? I tried it before and always liked it. But with all the posts i've read on it I'm a bit afraid of getting my card numbers/identity stolen lol

What do you mean by safe to use?. Like they will keylog your keystrokes and steal your card numbers and stuff?. I don't say it is impossible to happen but it is most likely something they wouldn't do. They risk going bankrupt if something like that goes viral, they kinda want to keep its software as popular as possible. That would cause the opposite, and if you concern about that fact; any other AV company could do the same, of course people will say that's impossible. That's why people ended talking about "Reputable AV vendors", and 360 probably does not fill in that spot, but certainly they ain't stealing your credit card numbers, they probably have higher and more important stealing jobs than just getting credit card numbers, unless you are the richasfk guy surfing the internet you ain't going to be this kind of target IMO. However, I wouldn't recommend 360 when having many other options outhere.

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014

I would say it's safe. The app is way too serious to be considered a third tier security app. If the 1st tier is say 5-8 products, then I would place 360 in there in the second tier. However, take a look a the tests. 360 is different than anyone else in some ways. The sigs are great but a little bit behind, the BB is something to take note of, and it blocks ransomware. It's not phony tactics though imo like one would expect from a 3rd tier scam product. To give an idea, the document protector app supplied by Qihoo via the tools area only backs up 30 days worth of files. I am confident that Qihoo believe that ransomware can't encrypt more than a few files against 360. All the testing I have seen has tended to confirm this for me.

For an a-v, I really am loving 360 after I guess 5 years now. Really cool dynamics under the hood, even if no command-line control for the user.

Here is the video that got me to start with 360:

AWS Case Study: Qihoo 360

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
AM18- Let me give you a bit of perspective here: The whole Qihoo and Stolen data jive started a number of years ago; it was started by a report from a supposed Blackhat gone White saying that an early version of Qihoo's Chinese Web Browser was sending suspicious packets Home. This was never proven, though there was a great suspicion that he was funded by Baidu which was Qihoo's main rival during the Chinese browser wars. And although never once were Qihoo's Security products implicated in any stolen data report, the ignorant and the lunatic fringe has turned that initial report into an Urban Legend that Qihoo steals data.

Also, until last year when Qihoo was turned Private, Qihoo stock was traded publically (God knows, I made a fortune in it). Any definitive proof that Qihoo had EVER compromised their users would have been made public by Qihoo's rivals and decimated the company. But this never happened, mainly because it is not true.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
AM18- Let me give you a bit of perspective here: The whole Qihoo and Stolen data jive started a number of years ago; it was started by a report from a supposed Blackhat gone White saying that an early version of Qihoo's Chinese Web Browser was sending suspicious packets Home. This was never proven, though there was a great suspicion that he was funded by Baidu which was Qihoo's main rival during the Chinese browser wars. And although never once were Qihoo's Security products implicated in any stolen data report, the ignorant and the lunatic fringe has turned that initial report into an Urban Legend that Qihoo steals data.

Also, until last year when Qihoo was turned Private, Qihoo stock was traded publically (God knows, I made a fortune in it). Any definitive proof that Qihoo had EVER compromised their users would have been made public by Qihoo's rivals and decimated the company. But this never happened, mainly because it is not true.

That definately puts that argument to rest then. Atleast from my side.

Bit of a back on topic question. Do you think Comodo's cloud with ever be used in real-time protection and not just on-execution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.