Solved Computer freezing up and its not even winter!

Windrazor

Thread author
Oct 7, 2014
I started noticing Shockwave crashing on me while using Google Chrome. I tried updating my drivers directly from Dell's website. Then my system froze. I restarted. Everything froze up as soon as I restarted. I went to look on my smartphone to see reasons why it might be freezing. I found that it could be a cooling fan issue, a virus, malware, programs not playing well with each other. So first thing I did was looked at my cooling fan. It was working fine.. just a little dirty so I cleaned it up. I then was able to uninstall the dell command and other programs thru Dell such as Dell PC Advisor. That seemed to undo some of the freezing right from start up. So from there I first did a Disk Cleanup, then Disk Defragment. Then I ran my most updated AVG Free program. CCleaner, and Malwarebytes. I cleaned up the registry thru CCleaner. Restarted, and now I can at least use the Firefox browser for a while. When I try to run google chrome, my computer freezes. When I try to uninstall google chrome, my computer freezes. When I try to check other helper programs from AVG, it automatically attempts to download software by using google chrome, and my computer freezes. I downloaded the Farbar Recovery Scan tool and have these 2 files for whoever would like to take a look at them and try to help me out.

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    26.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Addition.txt
    26.3 KB · Views: 83

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
warning.gif
Windows XP end of support warning!

As 8th of April 2014 has passed, this Operating System is not longer supported by the Microsoft.
Any patches, updates or security releases are ceased for this System.
This is just an information for you if not aware.
My recommendation would be to start thinking about replacing it with some newer edition, like Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.

I do not see signs of malware. Let's perform one more scan:

51a5bf3d99e8a-ComboFixlogo16.png
Scan with ComboFix

This is a very powerful tool that should be used only if advised by Malware Analyst.
Do not run ComboFix on your own!

Referring to this instruction, please download ComboFix by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here.

• Right-click on
    51a5bf3d99e8a-ComboFixlogo16.png
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Accept the disclaimer and agree if prompted to install Recovery Console.
  • Do not take any actions while ComboFix goes through your System - it may cause it to stall!
  • This scan may take some time!
  • When finished - it will display a logfile (located also on your main drive, usually C:\ComboFix.txt).

Include that log in your next reply.
icon_idea.gif
If you'll encounter any issues with internet connection after running ComboFix, please visit this link.
icon_idea.gif
If an error about operation on the key marked for deletion will appear after running the tool, please reboot your machine.

Windrazor

Thread author
Oct 7, 2014
Thanks for the reply. Yes I realize that Windows XP is no longer receiving any sort of available support. At one time my computer had the availability of using Windows 7 as well, but I had lost the discs. I tried going to microsoft windows page for setting up windows 8.1 since I have a brand new product key for it, but I received the message that I couldn't update to 8.1 from windows xp. If I had a product key for 8.0 then at least I could update it to that, and then update to 8.1 with my product key code.

I did as suggested, and went to the website, downloaded combo fix, disabled all of my AVG programs. I right clicked on the icon to run as.. and then a window popped up to run as my normal user, or administrator, which I don't think I've actually ever used on this computer because I couldn't access it. When I tried to proceed with my user, I received an error code:

NSIS Error

Error writing temporary file.
Make sure your temp folder is valid.

Suggestions for this? At one time I knew how to access my administrator account but I don't recall how to do that again.

Thank you for your response

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Let's try different tool:

TDSSKiller_Kaspersky.png
Scan with TDSSKiller

Please download TDSSKiller by Kaspersky and save it to your desktop.

• Right-click on
    TDSSKiller_Kaspersky.png
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
  • Click on Change parameters and put a checkmark beside Loaded modules. A reboot will be needed to apply the changes, allow it to do so.
  • Your machine may appear very slow and unusable after that - it's normal.
  • TDSSKiller will run automaticaly. Click on Change parameters and click OK.
  • Click the Start Scan button and wait patiently.

If anything will be found follow this guidelines:
  • If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
    Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
    If Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead.
  • Do not choose Delete unless instructed!

A report will be created in your root directory, (usually C:\ drive) in the form of TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt. Please include the contents of that file in your next post.

RogueKiller.png
Scan with RogueKiller

Please download RogueKiller and save the file to your desktop.
Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here.
  • Right-click on
    RogueKiller.png
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
  • Wait patiently until the pre-scan will be done. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes.
  • Accept the Terms of use.
  • When the Scan button becomes available, please click it. RogueKiller will start a full scan.
  • Let this process run uninterrupted!.
  • When finished, a Report button will become available. Click it. You will be presented with a logfile.
Please include the content of this logfile in your next reply.

Windrazor

Thread author
Oct 7, 2014
I ran Tdsskiller, and I got it back saying there were no errors. It did not create a log. I haven't run RogueKiller yet and I am about to download it. But the same question applies as to what I had before. How do I log on as Administrator?

Windrazor

Thread author
Oct 7, 2014
Ok, well if you say so. But when I click on "Run As.." It says to either run as my user "Chris" or as "Administrator" which it won't let me. So I don't know how you see that I am running the tool from an "Administrator" account. I ran RogueKiller, and have the attached report here.

Attachments

• RKreport_SCN_10132014_222931.log
    2.1 KB · Views: 73

Windrazor

Thread author
Oct 7, 2014
I ran TDSSKiller again as you instructed before, and found three log files. I attached them here.

Attachments

• TDSSKiller.3.0.0.40_14.10.2014_00.24.22_log.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 46
  • TDSSKiller.3.0.0.40_14.10.2014_00.15.56_log.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 45
  • TDSSKiller.3.0.0.40_14.10.2014_00.21.23_log.txt
    394.6 KB · Views: 36

Windrazor

Thread author
Oct 7, 2014
I also ran ComboFix just by running it normally, since you said I'm already logged in as Administrator, and here is the log file for that program:

Attachments

• ComboFixlog10_14_2014.txt
    14.3 KB · Views: 77

Windrazor

Thread author
Oct 7, 2014
I don't seem to be encountering many freezes, but I when I check some of those free driver scans to see if my drivers are up to date, I always get a list saying that these drivers need to be updated:

HID-compliant mouse

Plug and Play Monitor

Plug and Play Monitor

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN

SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 2448

Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 2940

Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 2 - 2942

Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 5 - 2948

Intel(R) ICH9 Family SMBus Controller - 2930

Intel(R) ICH9M LPC Interface Controller - 2919

Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Chipset Processor to DRAM Controller - 2A40

Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934

Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935

Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936

Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937

Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938

Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939

Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A

Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C

USB Video Device

Plug and Play Monitor

USB Compostite Device

Yet I don't know where I can update them to the most current driver. I've checked download.com and they have the ones I already have downloaded. When I go to the windows microsoft website, I can't seem to find the right drivers there either. On top of that my shockwave flash is always crashing. Any suggestions for that?

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Don't ever use programs that automatically install drivers. There is a possibility for wrong driver to get installed. Instead, download them manually from your PC manufacturer's site.

Windrazor

Thread author
Oct 7, 2014
Ok, well I have a Dell Latitde E5400. I went to Dell's website and looked for drivers for my computer, but I'm not sure which drivers to download to match what I might need to upgrade my computer properly.

Windrazor

Thread author
Oct 7, 2014
Thank you T.H.E. I made sure everything was up to date, although apparently, the system analysis said I needed to update one of my drivers, yet it was an older version of driver. Not sure how that works out. I still have a lot of Shockwave crashes. Not sure whats really causing that, or whats causing my entire computer to act really slow. I thought perhaps it might have something to do with my plugins, maybe conflicting programs of some sort, but I'm not sure how to diagnose that either.

Windrazor

Thread author
Oct 7, 2014
I watch a lot of videos online, such as youtube, tv shows, etc. Is there another program besides Shockwave that can be used?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.