Advice Request Concern or discovery - what is the reason for changing the security setup?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Is there any advantage of using Malwarebytes Browser Guard on Edge (SmartScreen + PUA + Tracking prevention set to ON) with Ad-blocker?
When using Microsoft Edge, a file is always partly downloaded (Bitdefender TrafficLight and/or Malwarebytes Browser Guard block downloads completely.
So, the system is cleaner when using a dedicated extension.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

When using Microsoft Edge, a file is always partly downloaded (Bitdefender TrafficLight and/or Malwarebytes Browser Guard block downloads completely.
So, the system is cleaner when using a dedicated extension.
But Defender scan it because of MOTW, then SRP / SmartScreen block it anyway.
So what's the advantage? A downloaded file can't run automatically by itself

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Great setup (y)
I'm going for a similar but slightly more aggressive setup:
  • Windows 10 Home/Pro (depending on what came with the system)
  • Windows Defender Antivirus (UAC to always notify, ConfigureDefender High settings)
  • Microsoft Edge/Google chrome (user preference, I prefer Edge)
  • Simple Windows Hardening (great support here)
  • uBlock Origin (finding it lighter than AdGuard)
  • Bitdefender TrafficLight (finding it lighter than Malwarebytes)
Exactly what I am using GTG, except I have UAC turned off. This set up works extremely well on my 7 year old desktop.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is there any advantage of using Malwarebytes Browser Guard on Edge (SmartScreen + PUA + Tracking prevention set to ON) with Ad-blocker?
The computer I checked had Chrome as their default.

I threw Edge into the mix, as it's heavily promoted by Microsoft and pushed via the OS and Updates.

On their previous computer running Windows 7, Avast AV was the main protection software.

Switching to Windows 10 simplified everything.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
But Defender scan it because of MOTW, then SRP / SmartScreen block it anyway.
So what's the advantage? A downloaded file can't run automatically by itself
That file is in Edge cache and will be backupped by file history.
A second opinion scanner will warn you and you can remove it.
By using one of the mentioned extensions this is avoided.
The extensions of Microsoft (usable for Chrome) and Emsisoft have both the same "problem".
Using another AV with Microsoft Edge also demonstrates this problem when downloading malware.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Understand. But, the chances for that are so minimal. I am not sure if it is worth the effort. :unsure:
Furthermore, the Edge browser has an option to clear the cache on exit.
But if you use file history for backup and you wait too long before clearing cache the file is ending in your backup.
For me countering that with one extension is well worth it.
It's not a problem if you don't use file history.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
All those are nice setups.:)(y)
But, if we want to be on-topic, then it would be also interesting why we changed the previous one.:unsure:
Heh, heh, I'll play. In the last 10 years or so I've mostly used Avast, Emsisoft, WD, Online Armour, Winpatrol, Malwarebytes, OSArmour, Appguard, Shadow Defender, MBAE and Voodoo Shield, in addition to another 20 or 30 products I've just tried briefly. Mostly did this out of curiosity and/or boredom or just wanted to check how a particular software would work on my computer. Now I'm over it, do not want to use 3rd party software or anything with a lot of popups, just something simple that provides an above average level of protection, Andy's tools fit the bill.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

But if you use file history for backup and you wait too long before clearing cache the file is ending in your backup.
For me countering that with one extension is well worth it.
It's not a problem if you don't use file history.
The only thing I doesn't understand is how even a backup of malicious downloaded file is a problem.

Defender does scan it right? Same for backup.
And it can't be executed on hardened system.

What I'm missing?

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

Using TrafficLight probably does not hurt (I am not sure about performance impact).
Did you consider to exclude the Edge cache in file history? It would save some space independently of using (or not) the TrafficLight.:unsure:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The only thing I doesn't understand is how even a backup of malicious downloaded file is a problem.

Defender does scan it right? Same for backup.
And it can't be executed on hardened system.

What I'm missing?
It can't be executed, but Windows Defender doesn't scan or remove it when it's on your backup drive.
Maybe after a full scan of your backup, which I never perform.
So, you are right that it is not a real problem, but I just don't want it on my system.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Using TrafficLight probably does not hurt (I am not sure about performance impact).
Did you consider to exclude the Edge cache in file history? It would save some space independently of using (or not) the TrafficLight.:unsure:
It doesn't hurt performance, but I never thought about excluding Edge's cache from file history (y)
The cache is in the backup by default.
I have to see where it is and how to exclude it. 🤔
Thanks again for an interesting suggestion.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It doesn't hurt performance, but I never thought about excluding Edge's cache from file history (y)
The cache is in the backup by default.
I have to see where it is and how to exclude it. 🤔
Thanks again for an interesting suggestion.
I think that it is here:
c:\Users\--------\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Cache\

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Perhaps a silly question, but could the extension Cache Killer be a simple set and forget solution? Also for the purpose of etag tracking.
Can you provide a link to that extension?
I found some troubling information when googling for it:
Comment on this page states that it was mal-ware: I have not verified it however. *Edit - this was about the time it was removed from Chrome, so I'm going to guess it was reported, verified and removed.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I want protection & the best privacy I can without imposing a high load & I don't want the PC unusable by others - I did this PC as a new build back in May the last thing I want is good money spent on hardware drained away by AV software that that feels it's OK to use ridiculous amounts of resources & the last thing on their mind is lightness - For me I don't want to spend more time configuring a PC than using it either so I tend to use established programs rather than extreme hardening - I'm not a fan of lots of extensions

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Perhaps a silly question, but could the extension Cache Killer be a simple set and forget solution? Also for the purpose of etag tracking.
It could. But, there are many things that can be improved by adding extensions so one can easily end with too many extensions. It is always better to use (reasonably) the Edge/Windows capabilities to reduce the number of extensions. Another problem is that extensions may work not exactly as they should due to frequent improvements in web browsers.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I want protection & the best privacy I can without imposing a high load & I don't want the PC unusable by others - I did this PC as a new build back in May the last thing I want is good money spent on hardware drained away by AV software that that feels it's OK to use ridiculous amounts of resources & the last thing on their mind is lightness - For me I don't want to spend more time configuring a PC than using it either so I tend to use established programs rather than extreme hardening - I'm not a fan of lots of extensions
Buy a Mac and use defaults in default Browser
Best security and privacy by default and you're not unique in fingerprinting

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.