Advice Request Concerns about Crystal Security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

bugjailer

Thread author
Jun 13, 2019
How is Crystal Security free? Is there a business model here?

Does this software run alongside traditional AV software without conflicts? I am currently running Comodo Firewall (free) and Kaspersky Free AV.

The software scans files in the cloud. How does it achieve this? Does it hash them and send the hash to for example, VirusTotal?

Edit: The answer to Q2 seems to be yes. Can I run Crystal Security alongside Eset Smart Security

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hello @bugjailer

Thank you for your interest. :giggle: I am sorry about no reply via e-mail.
How is Crystal Security free? Is there a business model here?

Crystal Security is absolutely free to for home and business users. There is no business model.
Does this software run alongside traditional AV software without conflicts? I am currently running Comodo Firewall (free) and Kaspersky Free AV.

Yes. You can use Crystal Security alsongside traditional Antivirus software.
The software scans files in the cloud. How does it achieve this? Does it hash them and send the hash to for example, VirusTotal?

Collective engine uses VirusTotal API service to analyze detected files - only the hash codes are compared.
When unknown executable is detected then it will be fully uploaded to the VirusTotal service.

There are also in-house engines to provide additional detection. You can use Crystal Security even without internet connection.

If you have any other question or feedback then please let me know anytime via email or here.
I will try to respond faster to emails. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Kardo

bugjailer

Thread author
Jun 13, 2019
Hello @bugjailer

Thank you for your interest. :giggle: I am sorry about no reply via e-mail.

Crystal Security is absolutely free to for home and business users. There is no business model.

Yes. You can use Crystal Security alsongside traditional Antivirus software.

Collective engine uses VirusTotal API service to analyze detected files - only the hash codes are compared.
When unknown executable is detected then it will be fully uploaded to the VirusTotal service.

There are also in-house engines to provide additional detection. You can use Crystal Security even without internet connection.

If you have any other question or feedback then please let me know anytime via email or here.
I will try to respond faster to emails. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Kardo

Sweet! Thanks for the reply! Will check it out

bugjailer

Thread author
Jun 13, 2019
I was getting several BSODs in a row.
I booted into safe mode and left Windows running for a couple hours. No BSOD.
Restarted Windows and slowly restarted each security program. No BSOD.

Not sure if Crystal Security was the cause of this.

-----

On an issue that was definitely caused by Crystal Security, it was blacklisting and deleting my Steam files whilst I was gaming. I had to disable active protection. Is this a known issue?

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
On an issue that was definitely caused by Crystal Security, it was blacklisting and deleting my Steam files whilst I was gaming. I had to disable active protection. Is this a known issue?
You're probably better off asking that in following Crystal Security thread as @Kardo Kristal posts there.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hi @bugjailer

Thank you for the feedback. Sorry about late reply.
I was getting several BSODs in a row.
I booted into safe mode and left Windows running for a couple hours. No BSOD.
Restarted Windows and slowly restarted each security program. No BSOD.

Not sure if Crystal Security was the cause of this.

BSODs should not be related to Crystal Security.

This is not a known issue. Recently there have been very few False Positive reports.

Can you please tell me which Steam files were removed? Should be listed under Blacklist section.

You can restore removed files via Blacklist section.

Your feedback is much appreciated. :giggle:

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.