Cons of various AVs

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
The following list will contain cons of each popular AV according to my perspective

* will indicate I have used the product personally IRL not VM.

*1. Avast - Ads in the free version can be misleading or aggresive and the paid product does not offer enough protection incentive to upgrade. Occasional broken program updates.
2. AVG - Despite Avast saying they will keep them around I'm not confident in their long term future or development.
3. Avira - Their UI is extremely outdated and their scanning and detection method can be quite clunky. Questionable zero-day
*4. Bitdefender - Easily the worst updates in the game, routinely takes five or more minutes and requires frequent restarts. High resources.
5. Clam WIn - Enough said.
*6. Comodo - Default settings and detection are garbage. Geek Buddy is scamware
7. Emsisoft - Medium resources use, in house signatures aren't cutting edge very reliant on BD.
8. ESET - Signatures aren't as good as Kaspersky or Bitdefender.
9. F - Secure - Zero day
10. G-Data - High resources.
*11. Kaspersky - Resources, and default protection is not great against PUPs.
*12. McAfee - High resources, poor zero day and convoluted UI
*13. Microsoft - Needs a PUP detection option added to Security Center. Slow detection. Very bad history.
14. Panda - Ads, untrustworthy under attack
15. Qihoo 360 - Ads, default detection engine is not great, URL detection could improve.
*16. Norton - Customer service, low resources but still manages to slow down system. Static detection is bad.
17. Trend Micro - Average detection, unimpressive zero-day.
*18. Webroot - May or may not attack your OS. Default settings should analyse unknown malicious files faster.

Might do a Pro version in the future. There is certainly more to like about most of these products than to dislike.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
AVG is now a rebrand version of Avast with Zen, a different setting UI and a lack of Hardened Mode. They are identical in all other aspects

I want to add something:
- Panda: extremely/unbearably slow scanning speed, relatively low detection rate, heavily depends on the cloud
- Norton: Automatic actions after a context scan without user interactions, sometimes can't remove a simple file which can be easily deleted in Windows Explorer, very slow scanning speed because it seems to submit everything to the cloud, Download insight produces so many false positives especially new safe files due to their reputations
- Avira Pro has a better cloud implementation than Avira free. More files are uploaded to Avira cloud so much high detection rate
- Avast: slow scanning speed compared to the version a few years ago, which was one of the fastest I have ever seen
- ESET: not so good zero-day prevention, HIPS needs to be properly configured in order to work. Otherwise, poor
- Qihoo: delayed signatures, questionable against non-ransomware malwares. I have seen it missing so many malwares with high VT detection ratios
- Microsoft: slow scanning speed, detection rate varies, impacts system performance in unpredicted fashions

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
That is what prevents me to use Sophos.
But it seems they say this is not really a problem, this is not clear to me..o_O
Webroot proved why it's a problem. Sophos Home automatically deletes any files it deems to be malicious, so if it ends up flagging critical system files as malicious one day it'll pretty much trash the system.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
The following list will contain cons of each popular AV according to my perspective

* will indicate I have used the product personally IRL not VM.

*1. Avast - Ads in the free version can be misleading or aggresive and the paid product does not offer enough protection incentive to upgrade. Occasional broken program updates.
2. AVG - Despite Avast saying they will keep them around I'm not confident in their long term future or development.
3. Avira - Their UI is extremely outdated and their scanning and detection method can be quite clunky. Questionable zero-day
*4. Bitdefender - Easily the worst updates in the game, routinely takes five or more minutes and requires frequent restarts. High resources.
5. Clam WIn - Enough said.
*6. Comodo - Default settings and detection are garbage. Geek Buddy is scamware
7. Emsisoft - Medium resources use, in house signatures aren't cutting edge very reliant on BD.
8. ESET - Signatures aren't as good as Kaspersky or Bitdefender.
9. F - Secure - Zero day
10. G-Data - High resources.
*11. Kaspersky - Resources, and default protection is not great against PUPs.
*12. McAfee - High resources, poor zero day and convoluted UI
*13. Microsoft - Needs a PUP detection option added to Security Center. Slow detection. Very bad history.
14. Panda - Ads, untrustworthy under attack
15. Qihoo 360 - Ads, default detection engine is not great, URL detection could improve.
*16. Norton - Customer service, low resources but still manages to slow down system. Static detection is bad.
17. Trend Micro - Average detection, unimpressive zero-day.
*18. Webroot - May or may not attack your OS. Default settings should analyse unknown malicious files faster.

Might do a Pro version in the future. There is certainly more to like about most of these products than to dislike.
I'm using Avast on all of my PCs and I didn't have any problems with it at all. It won't show you ads if you select to install only free modules, you'll only have ads bottom of UI and that's it. Even if you had installed paid modules, you can easily uninstall them in program settings.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You are total wrong kind of
Atleast about Kaspersky Side
Kaspersky Is no longer heavy at all!
On my PC Is Running perfect In the background even while I gaming
You prob never tested thier New Beta 2018 Its much better to be honest
:)
You have a Gaming PC.

PC games require higher specs than the average PC for Web and Email use.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As you all know I am Sig-Less, so no traditional AV for me, but it is fun to read threads like this to remind myself why I need to stay Sig-less ;)
Cool thread :)
Not always, it's sometimes what the company do or say that can be a problem. Being away from traditional Antivirus Software, you may find an issue with your current security vendor.

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
You have a Gaming PC.

PC games require higher specs than the average PC for Web and Email use.
What?
Why you are Jumping to conscolusing that I have a gaming PC?
To be a gamer you do not need A strong gaming pc in 10K or something around
My PC Is only I5 4440 3.10GHZ 8GB Ram and GTX 750 2GB
So Yea my PC Is Really cheap and for the games I play Its good.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
What?
Why you are Jumping to conscolusing that I have a gaming PC?
To be a gamer you do not need A strong gaming pc in 10K or something around
My PC Is only I5 4440 3.10GHZ 8GB Ram and GTX 750 2GB
So Yea my PC Is Really cheap and for the games I play Its good.
I5 isnt really cheap...

Some say i3 is high end..

So pentium is for mail pc and etc ;P
I remember when i started , some years ago, to go sig-less; some people said i was crazy ; guess what? i'm proud today to have been "crazy" :p
Most csll me crazy that i want to go Bb-heuristic less

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
I5 isnt really cheap...

Some say i3 is high end..

So pentium is for mail pc and etc ;P
Are you living In 1900?
I5 Is cheap lol
There Is many models that are preety cheap
What I wanted to say that my PC Is good for the gaming I'm Playing + Its not cost me that high price
And Its good for running Kaspersky and going for web and email or whatever you want

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.