Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Yes, They are
That's why I do not get It why he said they are heavy.
it also depends on their settings and how they classify which is light, which is heavy. I have a laptop with 8Gb, i7HQ, 5400rpm HDD and was using KIS for almost 2 years with all kinds of performance tweaks. I noticed KIS consumed a very high amount of memory, up to 500Mb including physical RAM (~100-125Mb) and virtual memory (~300-400Mb). using too much virtual memory can make the system slow because virtual memory is partially stored in our HDD/SSD and they are usually switched between physical RAM and HDD/SSD => slow
avast in total uses ~50Mb, sometimes 100Mb, physical and virtual memories combined. The downside is it has to read the signatures from the disk and gets the data from the cloud more frequently, which can make it slow

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Are you living In 1900?
I5 Is cheap lol
There Is many models that are preety cheap
What I wanted to say that my PC Is good for the gaming I'm Playing + Its not cost me that high price
And Its good for running Kaspersky and going for web and email or whatever you want
Your i5 CPU is around 2.5 times as fast as the i3-2310m in the laptop I'm typing this on, which is my fastest PC. Some of my others PC are running Core 2 Duo, or lesser CPUs. Sure, CPUs are fairly cheap these days, but (for the most part) my laptop is quite fast and I don't have much of a need for more power. I'm using Panda as my antivirus at the moment, and it is very light. Some antiviruses such as Windows Defender slow down my computer. Instead of putting up with a slow computer due to security software, or buying a faster computer, I chose a very light antivirus which does not slow down my computer.

Until fairly recently I was using a Core 2 Duo computer as my main laptop, and while I've noticed a big increase in performance with my i3 computer, I was happy with the performance from the Core 2 Duo, particluarly after replacing the hard drive with a SSD. I am going to buy a faster laptop in time (when I can afford it, as I'm on a very tight budget), because it would be nice to have a faster computer, but I'm in no rush to do so.

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
it also depends on their settings and how they classify which is light, which is heavy. I have a laptop with 8Gb, i7HQ, 5400rpm HDD and was using KIS for almost 2 years with all kinds of performance tweaks. I noticed KIS consumed a very high amount of memory, up to 500Mb including physical RAM (~100-125Mb) and virtual memory (~300-400Mb). using too much virtual memory can make the system slow because virtual memory is partially stored in our HDD/SSD and they are usually switched between physical RAM and HDD/SSD => slow
avast in total uses ~50Mb, sometimes 100Mb, physical and virtual memories combined. The downside is it has to read the signatures from the disk and gets the data from the cloud more frequently, which can make it slow
Its Indeed depends on It :)

Reactions: AtlBo

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
Your i5 CPU is around 2.5 times as fast as the i3-2310m in the laptop I'm typing this on, which is my fastest PC. Some of my others PC are running Core 2 Duo, or lesser CPUs. Sure, CPUs are fairly cheap these days, but (for the most part) my laptop is quite fast and I don't have much of a need for more power. I'm using Panda as my antivirus at the moment, and it is very light. Some antiviruses such as Windows Defender slow down my computer. Instead of putting up with a slow computer due to security software, or buying a faster computer, I chose a very light antivirus which does not slow down my computer.

Until fairly recently I was using a Core 2 Duo computer as my main laptop, and while I've noticed a big increase in performance with my i3 computer, I was happy with the performance from the Core 2 Duo, particluarly after replacing the hard drive with a SSD. I am going to buy a faster laptop in time (when I can afford it, as I'm on a very tight budget), because it would be nice to have a faster computer, but I'm in no rush to do so.
That's okay as your hardware Is not really old or really weak I was talking about the ppl with the really old hardware and weak
How much RAM Do you have?

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
Even if a system meets the requirements it doesn't mean the software will run well on a system. I'm running an i3-4160, 8GB of RAM and Kaspersky runs pretty damn heavy on my machine. It's unreasonable to tell people they should have to spend money on more RAM or an upgraded CPU just to get their AV software to run smoothly when other AV vendors run perfectly fine.
Though if a certain piece of software runs poorly on their machine I'd argue against them using that software unless required to do so.
Can you test Kaspersky again on your PC?
Just the KIS 2018 Beta Please
Tell me how Is that working for you.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
But prices are Just getting much cheaper
Look at ryzen prices compare to I5
Companies are losing money for the customres and still ppl doesnt have money to buy ATLEAST 8GB Ram PC?!
Its making no-sense.
3rd world problem mate. The price seem like dirt cheap to you but for us its a lot. My PC has 4 GB Ram, I personally could've added more Ram and bought SSD but wasted money on something else.

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
3rd world problem mate. The price seem like dirt cheap to you but for us its a lot. My PC has 4 GB Ram, I personally could've added more Ram and bought SSD but wasted money on something else.
Even on my country the prices are not the cheapest But Its kind of cheap
But on the GPU side Its really not cheap In my country and I need some strong GPU For some games that I want.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Can you test Kaspersky again on your PC?
Just the KIS 2018 Beta Please
Tell me how Is that working for you.
That'd require me to uninstall both Panda and SAP and I really don't want to go through that 1¼ hour+ whitelist scan again.
I can't speak for the 2018 beta because I've never tried it so for all I know it's performance might have massively improved but KIS 2017 definitely runs heavy for me.

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
That'd require me to uninstall both Panda and SAP and I really don't want to go through that 1¼ hour+ whitelist scan again.
I can't speak for the 2018 beta because I've never tried it so maybe it's performance has massively improved but KIS 2017 definitely runs heavy for me.
Its weird that KIS 2017 Runs heavy for you
But what do you mean Heavy?
On the RAM? how much RAM You got
As I had KIS 2017 before And It was running good
And now I have It on my familly laptop Which has only I3 and 4GB RAM Or 2GB I'm not quite sure
And KIS 2017 Installed there running perfect.

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
since it's just cons i'm not gonna write about pros here
avast: ads(which is logical since they provide you a free av so some ads here and there is ok), really bad UI, really slow UI(not the general working of antivirus
itself), cybercapture is testing exe files for 15 second which is not enough and can be bypassed.
avira: really bad termination of detected malwares(in my own testing), UI !!!!!!!, good results in some lab tests but not that good in my own testings specially behavior blocker, Avira Launcher(this kind of launchers are really stupid) ,
bidefender: really heavy if you put everything on high, again slow UI :) , some problems with slowing down the boot(i had this with a acer laptop and an asus laptop), peoblem in detecting MBR malware's, the web filter module is sometimes bugy with some programs(remember the days with IDM problem :) ) really bad installation( there is no offline kit) and its really big in size, not so good options to configure.
emsisoft: the BB blocker is not that much configurable, good UI speed, design is medium, really bad URL blocker, as one of our friend said really reliant on bitdefender engine(since they are an small company it's ok), the BB blockers notification are many time for professional users not so understandable for normal users. really bad repair capability in my own testing specially with flash drive infections.
eset: really bad av in general,one of the worst self defense in industry IMO, bad detection, bad behavior blocker, very Trojan friendly!, UI is somehow good, really light on system and fast scans(pros since i smashed them at first :) ).
f-secure: full of false positives so if it have a high detection its useless, very good malware URL blocker because it scans the exe file not the URL so even with an new URL the malware gets blocked in the first stage of defense (but this slows internet a little), some options but not that much(some bad design policy too) , BB is good but its not an art to have a BB that have this kind of false positives and be good,everyone can do that in this industry.
gdata: slows down the internet a bit, UI can improve, again too reliant on bitdefender engine(i nearly saw nothing about their engine), a little heavy on resources but not that much since this makes up for the one of the best behavior blockers in industry. a little slows app startup time.
kaspersky: some bad design policy like putting quarantine in more tools section or not documenting novice about app control policy that it puts unknown apps in restriction so some legit apps might not function normally(for novice users) , really not that efficient on older hardwares, URL blocking is not that good, sometimes it takes time to detect with BB. slow scan speed(but it scans deep), really slow update speed(internet speed i mean) the servers that provide update are really not that good.
norton: the URL blocking is browser dependent, really reliant on SONAR in detection, have some false positives even for clean files(i like the kaspersky approach more about new files)
trend micro: a little resource hug, not so geek friendly since it does not have too many options, very reliant on internet(smart protection network) so its static detection and offline protection is low, slows internet a little, some false positives but they are reducing it with every version now its somehow acceptable
webroot: i don not like to talk about it since it will become an article, but please do yourself a favor and do not install it.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
That's okay as your hardware Is not really old or really weak I was talking about the ppl with the really old hardware and weak
How much RAM Do you have?
Well it is somewhat old, being a 6 year old CPU. As for your point about old hardware, even Windows 10 can run well on old CPUs, for basic tasks like web browsing, if you have adequate RAM installed (4GB of so), particularly so with Creators Update which is noticalbe faster than previous builds of Windows 10. Even Edge runs suprisingly fast on old hardware. Sure, the hardware may be old, but if if Windows runs well, is there really a need to upgrade?

I've got 8GB of RAM, which is plenty for what I use my computer for at the moment.

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
since it's just cons i'm not gonna write about pros here
avast: ads(which is logical since they provide you a free av so some ads here and there is ok), really bad UI, really slow UI(not the general working of antivirus
itself), cybercapture is testing exe files for 15 second which is not enough and can be bypassed.
avira: really bad termination of detected malwares(in my own testing), UI !!!!!!!, good results in some lab tests but not that good in my own testings specially behavior blocker, Avira Launcher(this kind of launchers are really stupid) ,
bidefender: really heavy if you put everything on high, again slow UI :) , some problems with slowing down the boot(i had this with a acer laptop and an asus laptop), peoblem in detecting MBR malware's, the web filter module is sometimes bugy with some programs(remember the days with IDM problem :) ) really bad installation( there is no offline kit) and its really big in size, not so good options to configure.
emsisoft: the BB blocker is not that much configurable, good UI speed, design is medium, really bad URL blocker, as one of our friend said really reliant on bitdefender engine(since they are an small company it's ok), the BB blockers notification are many time for professional users not so understandable for normal users. really bad repair capability in my own testing specially with flash drive infections.
eset: really bad av in general,one of the worst self defense in industry IMO, bad detection, bad behavior blocker, very Trojan friendly!, UI is somehow good, really light on system and fast scans(pros since i smashed them at first :) ).
f-secure: full of false positives so if it have a high detection its useless, very good malware URL blocker because it scans the exe file not the URL so even with an new URL the malware gets blocked in the first stage of defense (but this slows internet a little), some options but not that much(some bad design policy too) , BB is good but its not an art to have a BB that have this kind of false positives and be good,everyone can do that in this industry.
gdata: slows down the internet a bit, UI can improve, again too reliant on bitdefender engine(i nearly saw nothing about their engine), a little heavy on resources but not that much since this makes up for the one of the best behavior blockers in industry. a little slows app startup time.
kaspersky: some bad design policy like putting quarantine in more tools section or not documenting novice about app control policy that it puts unknown apps in restriction so some legit apps might not function normally(for novice users) , really not that efficient on older hardwares, URL blocking is not that good, sometimes it takes time to detect with BB. slow scan speed(but it scans deep), really slow update speed(internet speed i mean) the servers that provide update are really not that good.
norton: the URL blocking is browser dependent, really reliant on SONAR in detection, have some false positives even for clean files(i like the kaspersky approach more about new files)
trend micro: a little resource hug, not so geek friendly since it does not have too many options, very reliant on internet(smart protection network) so its static detection and offline protection is low, slows internet a little, some false positives but they are reducing it with every version now its somehow acceptable
webroot: i don not like to talk about it since it will become an article, but please do yourself a favor and do not install it.
You forget to say that Emsisoft really low on settings like really really!
Compare to other vendors like Kaspersky.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Got tired of looking for the best that's why I moved away from AV's and switch to sig-less 4 years ago out of curiosity... I'm proud of it and malware hasn't been an issue for years.

Any one want to tackle pros/cons sig-less configs?!

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
Well it is somewhat old, being a 6 year old CPU. As for your point about old hardware, even Windows 10 can run well on old CPUs, for basic tasks like web browsing, if you have adequate RAM installed (4GB of so), particularly so with Creators Update which is noticalbe faster than previous builds of Windows 10. Even Edge runs suprisingly fast on old hardware. Sure the hardware may be old, but if if Windows runs well, is there really a need to upgrade?

I've got 8GB of RAM, which is plenty for what I use my computer for at the moment.
Yes, But you do not get me quite good
I was no talking about only old hardware
old + Weak with 2GB or 4GB or even 1GB..
You have good PC Compare to what I was talking about
As you have 8GB RAM Which Is good
I know old CPU can run WIN10 preety good Its Just depends what the specs
Not Just the age of the computer.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Its weird that KIS 2017 Runs heavy for you
But what do you mean Heavy?
On the RAM? how much RAM You got
As I had KIS 2017 before And It was running good
And now I have It on my familly laptop Which has only I3 and 4GB RAM Or 2GB I'm not quite sure
And KIS 2017 Installed there running perfect.
Heavy on RAM and noticeable hit to performance when browsing or launching software. I get the same issue when using Sophos Home or Avira. Panda also runs pretty heavy although not as much as those three.
Every AV's going to have a different effect on every system, regardless of specs.

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
Heavy on RAM and noticeable hit to performance when browsing or launching software. I get the same issue when using Sophos Home or Avira. Panda also runs pretty heavy for me although not as much as those three.
If the three you Just mentioed also heavy so Its kind of not Kaspersky Fault
As Avira should run for you perfect Its so light atleast for me
Panda also light.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If the three you Just mentioed also heavy so Its kind of not Kaspersky Fault
As Avira should run for you perfect Its so light atleast for me
Panda also light.
No way to really drill down the fault. Some vendors run light with no real noticeable performance hit while others don't. Could be worse: Bitdefender used to BSOD my system.

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Indeed but thats kind of thier fault using older hardware
Like come on WE IN 2017!
Stop living In 2000 and still use 2GB Ram PC and then complain why Kaspersky or games doesnt run well
I know some ppl that doing this mistakes and still use older really old hardware
And then they say " Kaspersky too heavy Its bad"
Or stuff like that
Sometimes Its pepole 100% fault.
Give me money and i will buy a better pc :D:p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.