Cons of various AVs

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Basically a few years ago when I was computer dumb I got hit with a computer locker on 8.1 windows

Upon contacting Norton I still had 10 days left on my yearly PAID subscription

They kept telling me to boot into safe mode using Windows 7 instructions. That don't fly on 8.1

After that didn't work and I still couldn't boot into my computer, they start trying to get me to go ahead and renew my subscription.

This clown starts telling me if renew my subscription that is still ACTIVE!!! then they can fix the problem.

So now I'm mad and I explain to them they let my computer get infected and they are refusing to fix it unless I renew and that I'm certainly not going to give them more money.

Fast forward 24hrs: I've already disposed of and destroyed the infected machine [again didn't know anything about computers, and didn't want to pay to take it somewhere] and went to Walmart and purchased a new computer. I thought if Norton can't fix it, I will never be able to.

As soon as I get home from Walmart with new $230 dollar laptop, Norton calls me and says they will now fix the problem.

I just told the them TOO LATE!!!! and hung up on him.

You replaced the entire hardware because of software issues? Wow :)
And.. shame on Norton for hiring incompetents and/or having these kind of support policies in place.

Reactions: roger_m and frogboy

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
You replaced the entire hardware because of software issues? Wow :)
And.. shame on Norton for hiring incompetents and/or having these kind of support policies in place.
Yeah!

I know that was big time stupidity on my part

But all Norton had to do was explain to me how to boot into safe mode using 8.1

They couldn't because they clearly didn't know either

This lead me to believe my machine was TOAST

And I live in a rural area where PC repair shops are not common.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Basically a few years ago when I was computer dumb I got hit with a computer locker on 8.1 windows

Upon contacting Norton I still had 10 days left on my yearly PAID subscription

They kept telling me to boot into safe mode using Windows 7 instructions. That don't fly on 8.1

After that didn't work and I still couldn't boot into my computer, they start trying to get me to go ahead and renew my subscription.

This clown starts telling me if renew my subscription that is still ACTIVE!!! then they can fix the problem.

So now I'm mad and I explain to them they let my computer get infected and they are refusing to fix it unless I renew and that I'm certainly not going to give them more money.

Fast forward 24hrs: I've already disposed of and destroyed the infected machine [again didn't know anything about computers, and didn't want to pay to take it somewhere] and went to Walmart and purchased a new computer. I thought if Norton can't fix it, I will never be able to.

As soon as I get home from Walmart with new $230 dollar laptop, Norton calls me and says they will now fix the problem.

I just told the them TOO LATE!!!! and hung up on him.

LOL, solving problem on your own like a boss

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Emsisoft - Doesn't play well with Chrome's Appcontainer flag (Probably not a big deal for the majority)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Twister AV - A promising AV with decent protection and behavior analysis however the development is already stopped.
Zillya AV - Ineffective AV considering the fact where signatures from Bitdefender AFAIK is outdated.
Total Defense - Poor antivirus performance, heavy on the resource usage and the UI is little confusing.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Twister AV - A promising AV with decent protection and behavior analysis however the development is already stopped.
Zillya AV - Ineffective AV considering the fact where signatures from Bitdefender AFAIK is outdated.
Total Defense - Poor antivirus performance, heavy on the resource usage and the UI is little confusing.
Twister still gets definition updates but has excessive false positives.
Zillya actually use their own signatures but it also has excessive false positives.
I agree with you about Total Defense being very heavy. When I last tested it a few months ago, its CPU use sometimes exceeded 90%.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.