Advice Request ControlD 3rd party filter options

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

mellowtones242

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 11, 2018
ControlD now has 3rd party filter. Which option do you recommend?
ControlD 3rd party filter

1660404087428.png

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
It just doesn't connect to the Steam client, with OISD active.
Probably depends on which version of oisd you are using. The basic one should be usable without any problems. The full list might have some false positives, but I doubt that this will be a problem for a long time. One of the main missions of the creator is to sort out all false positives in his list. Steam is a major gaming platform and I am sure it is a matter of days for him to notice and fix this.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Probably depends on which version of oisd you are using. The basic one should be usable without any problems. The full list might have some false positives, but I doubt that this will be a problem for a long time. One of the main missions of the creator is to sort out all false positives in his list. Steam is a major gaming platform and I am sure it is a matter of days for him to notice and fix this.

I was trialing IVPN tracker blocking, which only uses OISD full, when I had the problem. With it disabled everything ran fine.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I was trialing IVPN tracker blocking, which only uses OISD full, when I had the problem. With it disabled everything ran fine.
I mean thats what i said. The basic list has like 500k entries while the full list has 1 million +
Are you sure that oisd is the problem? Maybe Steam detects that you are using a VPN.

mellowtones242

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 11, 2018
I don't use steam so I'm good.
@blackice I guess customers requested the option to 3rd party list and they provided it.

I'm going to test OISD - Full and 1Hosts - Lite

Last edited:
Reactions: Trident

zer0day

May 11, 2023
For the current ControlD 3rd party filter lists:

OISD - Basic
StevenBlack Unified
Dev Dan's Hosts
Notracking Hosts
1Hosts - Mini
1Hosts - Lite
1Hosts - Pro
Hagezi's DNS - Normal
Hagezi's DNS - Pro
Hagezi's DNS - Pro Plus
GoodbyeAds
AdGuard Filter

which one is the most capable for standalone ad and malware filtering? Also how do these 3rd party lists stack up against ControlD's lists in the free version? Better or worse?

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I find 1Hosts Pro to be most effective, Hagezi Pro Plus second, but they’ve got a lot of false positives and you will need to do a lot of whitelisting with them. It will take a while till you get issue-free experience.

Reactions: zer0day

zer0day

May 11, 2023
I find 1Hosts Pro to be most effective, Hagezi Pro Plus second, but they’ve got a lot of false positives and you will need to do a lot of whitelisting with them. It will take a while till you get issue-free experience.
I agree but looking for more of a set and forget solution. 1Hosts lite and Hagezi Pro Plus feel pretty fast while not breaking things. Are these both pretty similar in terms of protection or does one do things better than the other?

Reactions: Trident

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I agree but looking for more of a set and forget solution. 1Hosts lite and Hagezi Pro Plus feel pretty fast while not breaking things. Are these both pretty similar in terms of protection or does one do things better than the other?
When I tried with phishing links from my inboxes (many of then receive tens of spam emails every minute as they are decoys), only the 1Hosts Pro and Hagezi Pro Plus seemed to be working.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
For the current ControlD 3rd party filter lists:

OISD - Basic
StevenBlack Unified
Dev Dan's Hosts
Notracking Hosts
1Hosts - Mini
1Hosts - Lite
1Hosts - Pro
Hagezi's DNS - Normal
Hagezi's DNS - Pro
Hagezi's DNS - Pro Plus
GoodbyeAds
AdGuard Filter

which one is the most capable for standalone ad and malware filtering? Also how do these 3rd party lists stack up against ControlD's lists in the free version? Better or worse?
If you are looking for a filter with very, very few false-positives then you should take a look at OISD. It's also getting updates every few hours. If you need a strickter blocking then you should check out Hagezis DNS Pro Plus. I personally use OISD + HaGeZi - Multi ULTIMATE on NextDNS

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
These are my ControlD third-party filters. The first is for my regular use, and the second is for my Android. Both have been really good.

2023-05-11_13h30_29.png

and

2023-05-11_13h31_19.png

Attachments

• 2023-05-11_13h30_29.png
    2023-05-11_13h30_29.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 2023-05-11_13h30_29.png
    2023-05-11_13h30_29.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 101

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.