trainbus120

Level 9
Hi Smart people around.

Not sure if you have encountered problems like me, but just wanted to ask, I have made (Create installation media for another PC) installation file on USB. Can I use this installation to upgrade my existing PC. I tried once and it asks for Windows key. I tried supplying my Windows 7 key (OEM) but it didn't work. Any clues?

Thanks!!

jamescv7

Level 61
Verified
Trusted
@trainbus120: As you are going to create media for Windows 10, make sure to upgrade first. The reason it ask for license key is because your OS is under of 7 or 8.1 therefore it should follow the Microsoft protocol as possible.

trainbus120

Level 9
@trainbus120: As you are going to create media for Windows 10, make sure to upgrade first. The reason it ask for license key is because your OS is under of 7 or 8.1 therefore it should follow the Microsoft protocol as possible.
Not able to upgrade even after clean install of Windows 7 & SP1. error 0x000000f & 0x0000225

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Not sure if you have encountered problems like me, but just wanted to ask, I have made (Create installation media for another PC) installation file on USB. Can I use this installation to upgrade my existing PC. I tried once and it asks for Windows key. I tried supplying my Windows 7 key (OEM) but it didn't work. Any clues?

Thanks!!
This is what I did: To upgrade your CURRENT Windows 7 SP1 computer, use the UPGRADE option. Do not create an ISO.
And before you Upgrade from Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 10, for a smooth update process, uninstall Kaspersky and other real-time security.
Thereafter, you can use a clean install @illumination maybe able to provide some light on how-to.

The Create installation media for another PC will require a new Windows 10 License key. You cannot use a Windows 7 to 8.1 (bought or OEM) license to Activate a clean Windows 10 build.

Sloth

Level 5
This is what I did: To upgrade your CURRENT Windows 7 SP1 computer, use the UPGRADE option. Do not create an ISO.

The Create installation media for another PC will require a new Windows 10 License key.
Nope. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using an ISO and it didn't ask me to enter a license key.

@trainbus120 There is something wrong with your current Windows 7 installation. Did you apply all the latest patches?

Try this tool, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058 to fix update issues.

Check this, http://borncity.com/win/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-error-0xc1900101-0x20004/.

D

Deleted member 2913

I too upgraded to Windows 10 with ISO i.e run setup.exe from within Windows 7 & was upgraded & activated successfully.
I have to upgrade 1 more system & will do the upgrade the same way with the same ISO.

Reactions: Sloth