Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
How to set CS to bypass UAC at startup?

Clipboard03.png Clipboard04.png

N

NullByte

Hello,

I have a question about the product, I've seen this product perform very well and I'm wondering if I use the "dynamic shellcode injection" method on a safe file and insert a backdoor or any type of malware and I allow the "installer" that drops the malware will still infect the PC (the file is also digital signed as the installer, I copied the digital signature from the installer) ? Are the files still checked even if you allow them ?

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Hello,

I have a question about the product, I've seen this product perform very well and I'm wondering if I use the "dynamic shellcode injection" method on a safe file and insert a backdoor or any type of malware and I allow the "installer" that drops the malware will still infect the PC (the file is also digital signed as the installer, I copied the digital signature from the installer) ? Are the files still checked even if you allow them ?
I personally unchecked "trust applications with digital signature" :)
Interesting question :)

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Me too @DardiM :D.....It is unchecked in all my security software that gives that as an option
Good behavior ! You could received soon an anonymous phone call (with my voice modified - er - from a unknown Peron) to be recruited !
Questions :
- Do you like penguins ?
- Do you like wearing costumes ?
- Can you Drive high technological vehicles ?

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Good behavior ! You could received soon an anonymous phone call (with my voice modified - er - from a unknown Peron) to be recruited !
Questions :
- Do you like penguins ?
- Do you like wearing costumes ?
- Can you Drive high technological vehicles ?
HaHa :D
Q1- I very much like Penguins (especially those that use Crystal Security):)
Q2- No experience.It would depend on the specific costume,and the nature of the mission that requires it.;)
Q3- Only Automatic/Stick-Shift Cars ,& Reach/Counter-Balance Forklift Trucks at present..
(unless the Nostromo & Millennium Falcon count)

Apologies Kardo...
Back to Crystal Security..
Currently using 3.5.0.184..and all is working great:)

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
How to set CS to bypass UAC at startup?

Hi @Av Gurus,

Please try out the following method with Task Scheduler to disable UAC prompt for specific application: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-eliminate-uac-prompts-for-specific-applications-493128966
Uncheck "Start as Admin" solved this problem but is there any downside if it is set like this?

When program is elevated with limited rights then Self-protection and Stealth Guard will be disabled.

In Checkup mode some files are not analyzed because of the access rights.
Hello,

Hi @NullByte,

Thanks for the interest. :)

Yes. It is vulnerable in such way. It also depends on many factor. It can pick-up modified file in some cases.

If you want highest protection then I suggest to enable Stealth Guard mode and disable Trust applications with Digital signature under Settings. You can also decrease suspicious and unsafe file detection ratio to improve 0-day malware detection.
Currently using 3.5.0.184..and all is working great:)

Hi @Logethica,

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Regards,
Kardo

N

NullByte

Thanks, when you can, change the icon it looks like it's fake security product :) and if you can add some type of checking in future that will be amazing.

:cool:

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Thanks, when you can, change the icon it looks like it's fake security product :) and if you can add some type of checking in future that will be amazing.

:cool:

@NullByte,

You are welcome and thanks for your suggestions. :)

If there is any issue, question or feedback then feel free to let me know anytime.

Regards,
Kardo

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
The product UI looks cool similar to ESET :D

@NullByte

Thanks. UI is a mixture of ESET (gray bar) and Avast (left menu) and my own ideas. :)

Currently there is a plan to improve notifications (updated action buttons, visual improvements etc..) and probably I will make some changes in Checkup mode (based on the users feedback). After that I want to add multilingual support which is one of the most requested feature. :)

You can find preview of the notifications from here.

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hello,
If it's possible can you give me more info about:

Collective Cloud, Crystal Cloud, Internal Engine and Heuristic Engine (just some basic info that you can make public), BTW, I love the new notification.

Hi @NullByte,

• Collective cloud - based on VirusTotal (API integration)
  • Crystal cloud - based on feeds to collect malware information from several sources
  • Heuristic engine - byte based detection
  • Internal engine - hash based detection
Heuristic and Internal engines can work in offline mode. Crystal cloud engine stores latest malware information on your computer which is useful for offline usage. Crystal cloud checks feeds after some interval automatically.

Regards,
Kardo

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Hi @NullByte,

• Collective cloud - based on VirusTotal (API integration)
  • Crystal cloud - based on feeds to collect malware information from several sources
  • Heuristic engine - byte based detection
  • Internal engine - hash based detection
Heuristic and Internal engines can work in offline mode. Crystal cloud engine stores latest malware information on your computer which is useful for offline usage. Crystal cloud checks feeds after some interval automatically.

Regards,
Kardo

Tested CS with Collective cloud turn off , just a couple of malware, and system get very infected, no pop-ups from CS. o_O

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Tested CS with Collective cloud turn off , just a couple of malware, and system get very infected, no pop-ups from CS. o_O

@Av Gurus,

Thank you for the feedback.

Probably it bypassed Internal and Heuristic engines. I guess that all other engines flagged file as clean and white-listed tested files automatically (without any notification). I believe that it is good to enable Stealth Guard mode while Collective cloud is disabled.

I'll try to improve other engines detection with newer versions. :)

Regards,
Kardo

H

hjlbx

@Kardo Kristal

CS 3.5
W10 Home

Bug Report

CS detects file as suspcious

In alert check detection

List of AV scan engines shows which scan engines detect

Overview

Analyze Selected (suspicious) File

Alert shows detected

Select Details

Entire list of AV scan engines shows no detection (all clean) - the detecting AV scan engines were absent from the list

After I enabled Stealth Guard and re-analyzed the file, the detecting AV scan engines reappeared in the list

I suspect alert display bug

I suspect display\alert bug

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.