Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
If it can help :

I use the portable version of Crystal Security.

- Windows 10 Pro 64bits - OS Build:10586.318
- Kaspersky Total Security 2016 -16.0.0.614(g)

and I haven't got this issue

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Hello !

Thanks for the quick update.

On "Setting" "Checkup" "File types" :

If I check "custom", it unchecks "common executables" and vice versa, is it the expected behaviour ?

I tried to add ".js" files as it seems it doesn't scan them in Default configuration : I checked "custom" and add ".js".

Then I've done a scan on a folder with 26 recent malwares, using the shell integration scan :
- 24/26 malwares found, but no result for the 2 x ".js" files (no overview / whitelist / Blacklist)

Edit:
Tested with 13 malwares from today, with ".exe"
=> 13/13 detected (10/13 with ZAM , 10/13 with Kaspersky Total Security, 4/13 with MBAM)

Like this result :p

Conclusion :

- It seems it doesn't detect custom extensions I added (.bin, .js, .doc) !?
- Very good cloud scanner

Question :
- How to make custom extension scans ? for exemple, to detect .js malwares ?

Regards,
DardiM

Last edited:

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I think I might of found a bug in Crystal Security I just downloaded it on my new computer then I thought I would run a advanced scan. So It minimized to the desktop which is normal but when I tried to reopen Crystal Security by the task bar it wouldn't open. I am running Windows 10 64x. Also I tried it on my laptop which is Windows 10 64x and it doesn't work too so it must be a bug.
upload_2016-5-29_19-14-45.png

These are the two icons I clicked to try and reopen Crystal Security. I also found a way to open the UI. You have to right click Crystal Security and click Enable Stealth Guard otherwise it won't open.

I also got an error which I checked it out it looks like it is coming from SecureAPlus.
upload_2016-5-29_19-20-18.png

Regards, Andrew999

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hi @DardiM,

Thanks for the feedback. :)
Hello !

Thanks for the quick update.

On "Setting" "Checkup" "File types" :

If I check "custom", it unchecks "common executables" and vice versa, is it the expected behaviour ?

Yes. It is by design and expected behavior.
I tried to add ".js" files as it seems it doesn't scan them in Default configuration : I checked "custom" and add ".js".

Then I've done a scan on a folder with 26 recent malwares, using the shell integration scan :
- 24/26 malwares found, but no result for the 2 x ".js" files (no overview / whitelist / Blacklist)

You probably forgot to click on Apply in Settings after changes. When you add a new extension under File types then after changes click on Protection tab and then on the Apply button to save changes in File types. I also made a test with .js files successfully.

crystal_security_test.png

NB! Please note that Shell integration behavior is connected with Protection settings.

Hi @Andrew999,

Thanks for the feedback. :)
I think I might of found a bug in Crystal Security I just downloaded it on my new computer then I thought I would run a advanced scan. So It minimized to the desktop which is normal but when I tried to reopen Crystal Security by the task bar it wouldn't open. I am running Windows 10 64x. Also I tried it on my laptop which is Windows 10 64x and it doesn't work too so it must be a bug.

Bug confirmed and will be fixed in the next version.

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:

Mr.NoName

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2016
can you implement some other security tool coz this leggy Virus total takes time to take the quarry..
i have some home made tools for protecting from Crypto Malware and etc
at all it is 99% protection of this tool i mean it captures 99% of the Crypto Malware.
and real time cloud monitoring system but it is on build at this stage ... so if you need something or want to buy something in here

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Hi @DardiM,
Yes. It is by design and expected behavior.
You probably forgot to click on Apply in Settings after changes.
When you add a new extension under File types then after changes click on Protection tab and then on the Apply button to save changes in File types. I also made a test with .js files successfully.
NB! Please note that Shell integration behavior is connected with Protection settings.

Sorry, I was adding .js and .bin extension in Checkup, not in Protection :oops:

Thanks a lot, it works fine now.

Edit:

Tested today with very recent malware and 'safe' files :
=> I added this tool to my Security config :)

Regards,
DardiM

Last edited:

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hello,

I improved notifications based on the feedback. :)
  • Added icons for different results
  • Updated action buttons (Details and second action buttons)
  • Added Location (field) of the file
  • Visual improvements (text, fonts, Threat score, etc..)
  • Other improvements
Preview of manual notification (auto-decision disabled)

Safe_Notification_Preview.png

Preview of automatic notification (auto-decision enabled)

Unsafe_Auto_Decision_Preview.png

Any feedback is welcome.

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Hi I went to start Crystal Security and I got this error.
This is the Log file

Index and length must refer to a location within the string.
Parameter name: length at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
at Crystal_Security.Main.b(Object A_0, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs A_1)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)

Regards,
Andrew999

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
All was ok with the last version of Crystal Security, and today, same error that was reported by @Andrew999

The error message pop at the same time than a Crystal Security Warning Window (witch is waiting for my decision on an "unknown" file detected - a zip file password protected)

Log File:

L'index et la longueur doivent faire référence à un emplacement situé dans la chaîne.
Nom du paramètre : length à System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
à Crystal_Security.Main.b(Object A_0, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs A_1)
à System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)

Regards,
DardiM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.