Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@Kardo Kristal

For years (since first on Wilders Security Forum) I try Crystal Security. Reason is I run a default deny and like to have a light AV check on anything which runs from User Folders. Kardo was so nice to implement option to specify which foldes to watch plus the registry run/startup keys (years ago).

Because I have set UAC to deny elevation of unsigned I could not run Crystal Security as admin. This caused various problems in Crystal Security (which always seem to switch/return) like not being able to save (part of) the settings or run minimized at windows startup.

Today I tried the latest stable version and guess what? Everything worked like a charm (y):oops: Kardo

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@Kardo Kristal

For years (since first on Wilders Security Forum) I try Crystal Security. Reason is I run a default deny and like to have a light AV check on anything which runs from User Folders. Kardo was so nice to implement option to specify which foldes to watch plus the registry run/startup keys (years ago).

Because I have set UAC to deny elevation of unsigned I could not run Crystal Security as admin. This caused various problems in Crystal Security (which always seem to switch/return) like not being able to save (part of) the settings or run minimized at windows startup.

Today I tried the latest stable version and guess what? Everything worked like a charm (y):oops: Kardo

Hi Kees,

Thank you for your kind words.

I am really glad that you are using Crystal Security.
You have provided a lot of feedback and suggestions.

It is great to hear that everything works well. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
The portable version does not seem to be updating on its own, I tried manually and it says up to date 3.7.0.24.

Hi @blueblackwow65

Thank you for your feedback.

There is currently a known bug in updates.

This is due to the fact that website uses HTTPS but updates are being checked by HTTP connection.

I will fix this bug in the next build.

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
Crystal Security doesn't work without Task Scheduler Service:emoji_disappointed:
Error.jpg

Error Log
The Task Scheduler Service is not running. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80041315) at Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.V2Interop.ITaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, ITaskDefinition pDefinition, Int32 flags, Object UserId, Object password, TaskLogonType LogonType, Object sddl)
at Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, TaskDefinition definition, TaskCreation createType, String UserId, String password, TaskLogonType LogonType, String sddl)
at Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, TaskDefinition definition)
at Crystal_Security.Main.cm()
at Crystal_Security.Main.j1(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
love your program kardo. i have a bug or two with new release. i'm getting the pop up "oops application error occurred" followed by crystal security crashing as well (cyrstal crashing after i hit ignore on pop up error warning) . here is the log file:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Crystal_Security.Main.bu()
at Crystal_Security.Main.bv()
at Crystal_Security.Main.bw()
at Crystal_Security.Main.bx()
at Crystal_Security.Main.b2()
at Crystal_Security.Main.e1(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

after crystal crashes, when i restart it. i also noted some setting i changed did not stick. they were back to the original. (i had removed system files from monitoring and turned on dynamic engine, they reversed). this is on the portable version. the crash occurs spontaneously even when i am doing nothing. has occurred now 4 times. log files all seem to be the same.

LOL, and i have to say i find it funny when people are bugging you, "did you fix it yet" a day after they mention a bug. sometimes people forget programmers have other things to do in life.:)

Edit: i think i resolved it. i ran the program by right clicking it and running it as administrator. i haven't had a problem for the last couple hours since. i occurred to me it might be a permissions thing or something.

Last edited:

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
LOL, and i have to say i find it funny when people are bugging you, "did you fix it yet" a day after they mention a bug. sometimes people forget programmers have other things to do in life.:)
Consideration, empathy is what you highlight, can this ever be resolved, I'm pessimistic, sadly, but, at least you know there is one person out there that understands you.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
love your program kardo. i have a bug or two with new release. i'm getting the pop up "oops application error occurred" followed by crystal security crashing as well (cyrstal crashing after i hit ignore on pop up error warning) .

after crystal crashes, when i restart it. i also noted some setting i changed did not stick. they were back to the original. (i had removed system files from monitoring and turned on dynamic engine, they reversed). this is on the portable version. the crash occurs spontaneously even when i am doing nothing. has occurred now 4 times. log files all seem to be the same.

Hi @ChoiceVoice

Can you please answer the following questions:
  1. Did the error occur only when the program was opened without elevated privileges?
  2. Did the error occur immediately after startup?
  3. Did an error occur at different moments?
  4. Did you use default settings?
Regards,
Kardo

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Hi @ChoiceVoice

Can you please answer the following questions:
  1. Did the error occur only when the program was opened without elevated privileges?
  2. Did the error occur immediately after startup?
  3. Did an error occur at different moments?
  4. Did you use default settings?
Regards,
Kardo
well, it seems it was an anomaly. crystal hasn't crashed since i previously posted. i've even tried by straight clicking it and not right clicking it to run as admin, and it is running smoothly. i've played with the settings like i always do and all is good. i can't get it to crash!! ( which is a good thing, lol.) perhaps my antivirus was having a love spat with it or something and they made up.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
well, it seems it was an anomaly. crystal hasn't crashed since i previously posted. i've even tried by straight clicking it and not right clicking it to run as admin, and it is running smoothly. i've played with the settings like i always do and all is good. i can't get it to crash!! ( which is a good thing, lol.) perhaps my antivirus was having a love spat with it or something and they made up.

Hi @ChoiceVoice

Regards,
Kardo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.