Cujo AI Firewall mini review

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I have been testing the Cujo AI Firewall and have found some pros and cons;

Pros: I installed it in DHCP mode on my cable modem/router and it went without a hitch.

I installed the smartphone app could see it found and was protecting all my devices, phones, ROKU, iPad Printer etc... even those attached to my cable modem router.

Tech support responds very quickly,

Cons:
If you connect one of your devices to a VPN it will not be protected by Cujo while the VPN is on.

It appears you can use a custom DNS, you can even type it in but it will not save it. I asked Cujo tech support about it, told them I wanted change my DNS to something like Norton or OpenDS but my changes would not save, it defaulted to the cable modem/router DNS. They said I can't change it but they can change it on the CUJO for me on their end I just had to send them the DNS IP's I wanted to use.

The DNS is fixed on my cable modem/router and I wanted control over what DNS I wanted to use, not have to ask their permission first so to speak. So I told them never mind I would just put my cable modem/router in modem only bridge mode and use a router that I had and connect the Cujo to it that way I could control the DNS on the router.

The next thing know my Cujo is flashing and I open the smartphone app and my DNS has been changed to Norton connectsafe.

Now I can appreciate them trying to help but the fact they can log on to your Cujo firewall and make changes to your settings, as such likely have access to all your devices connected to it and who knows what else sends up a big red flag for me.

Now I am wondering just how much access does this device give them to your network?

I like the idea of using next gen firewall appliance on my network because it can protect everything not just your computer, but I don't like opening the front door and letting strangers walk around my house at will which is the felling I get using the CUJO.

Last edited:

Libera Milanesi

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2018
Now I am wondering just how much access does this device give them to your network?
I recommend you check the privacy policy for the services to get an in-depth explanation of what control they have over your devices. I don't think I need to mention that any software vendor in the world could push an update at any time which changes the level of control they have over your devices.

You need to decide whether you trust them or not. I think it should be fine because if they got caught doing something unethical or illegal, it could completely destroy their reputation, and everyone knows nowadays that one strike can mean the death of your company.

There's no need to be too paranoid because you'll never sleep this way, but it could be useful for you to check more about the company background and history as well to help you make a decision of whether you trust them or not. There should be reviews/comments online from past customers, possibly business customers.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
After hearing about this and Gryphon, I am hoping that this technology is recognized and some investment made into maturing the concepts in the concept (so to speak). Then maybe there will come some manageable way for the technology to gain legal acceptance/oversight/regulation (attention of government) for use on mainstream mass production routers and other security devices...such as this firewall. Add a high degree of legal regulation for manufacturers over things such as above mentioned->access, and better than these could be trustable and available from known manufacturers. If government on some level doesn't recognize the dangers in advancing technology and act wisely and sensibly to require, forbid, and restrict company/corporate spying, innovation will dry up I am afraid.

"Trust me" seems to be everywhere innovation goes these days. Too bad imo, because it is really just a 4 letter word in the invisible world of cyberspace. Instead, we should be trusting verified and guaranteed authentic and safe software and equipment...

Thanks for passing on this information. Good review and extremely helpful. Nice catch on the company's access to your personal choices->bad shake for PC owners and operators (n).

Libera Milanesi

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2018
"Trust me" seems to be everywhere innovation goes these days. Too bad imo, because it is really just a 4 letter word in the invisible world of cyberspace. Instead, we should be trusting verified and guaranteed authentic and safe software and equipment...
+1 Thanks for pointing this out, I totally agree with it.

It can be really difficult to trust a lesser-known company these days because of all the difference in opinions on what is ethical or not, and the laws of where the company is situated and to whom the customers they provide to are situated.

After hearing about this and Gryphon
Gryphon... I want to get my hands on it in the near future. It looks like a promising product. I wonder how it'd perform against its competitors... I am yet to see that.

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I recommend you check the privacy policy for the services to get an in-depth explanation of what control they have over your devices. I don't think I need to mention that any software vendor in the world could push an update at any time which changes the level of control they have over your devices.

You need to decide whether you trust them or not. I think it should be fine because if they got caught doing something unethical or illegal, it could completely destroy their reputation, and everyone knows nowadays that one strike can mean the death of your company.

There's no need to be too paranoid because you'll never sleep this way, but it could be useful for you to check more about the company background and history as well to help you make a decision of whether you trust them or not. There should be reviews/comments online from past customers, possibly business customers.

Their Privacy Policy seems to be vague on exactly what they can access or see, it mostly has to do with what data they collect.

Libera Milanesi

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2018
Their Privacy Policy seems to be vague on exactly what they can access or see, it mostly has to do with what data they collect.
Maybe you could request a notification for privacy policy updates and see if they allow it? You could keep your eye on future improvements and go back to them if you see them release changes which make you feel comfortable using them again.

Linked to this, you could try giving them feedback on your thoughts about the data collection and usage/existing privacy policy and see what they say (I'd definitely be interested in hearing about their response should you ask them!).

The review you gave in the original post is really nice to read by the way, I can tell you just straight up told us how it is without any fuss on biasing towards a like or dislike side. :)

Reactions: AtlBo

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Thanks for the share. I don't recall seen this one before but a search showed that @ForgottenSeer 58943 had some information that I can guess is about the same company/product. Ccleaner is it safe to download and use again?

Anyway I hope they didn't pick the name of the product with thoughts on Stephen Kings novel and character as that could possible be confusing. :D

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
What I was able to find out was they have changed it so you can input and save your own DNS though I have not tried it as I have pulled it from my configuration.

When I asked them exactly what they could see on the users network protected by Cujo, I got directed to their privacy policy, after I pressed them on the issue I got this response.

We cannot see anything in your network, besides the rough estimate of devices in your network.

CUJO works by scanning headers of packets, and that's how it protects you while seeing none of the real data.

Matthew

However if they can log on to your Cujo and make setting changes they have a lot more than a rough estimate.

One thing is for sure it does not bolster ones trust in security or privacy hiding behind a Cujo.

I am now wondering if there is a way to block the Cujo companies IPs with out rendering the unit useless or perhaps change the master password they no doubt have built in the device to be able to log on no matter what you set yours too?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

You are assuming they are logging in. It's actually quite possible they are simply pushing out firmware or database updates to your device to accomplish the same thing.

It sounds like they are using SNI to identify malicious domains. Nothing intrusive about that and about all they know is the TLD you visited should they bother to look and certainly not the contents of those packets. Cujo doesn't have nearly enough power to be anything more than a L5 device so it's really not going to know the content of anything.

Either you trust Cujo or you don't, it's important to have trust in any firm you do business with regarding security.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
What I was able to find out was they have changed it so you can input and save your own DNS though I have not tried it as I have pulled it from my configuration.

When I asked them exactly what they could see on the users network protected by Cujo, I got directed to their privacy policy, after I pressed them on the issue I got this response.

However if they can log on to your Cujo and make setting changes they have a lot more than a rough estimate.

One thing is for sure it does not bolster ones trust in security or privacy hiding behind a Cujo.

I am now wondering if there is a way to block the Cujo companies IPs with out rendering the unit useless or perhaps change the master password they no doubt have built in the device to be able to log on no matter what you set yours too?
Thanks for your review

From your first post I believe it needs your IP address to work. Using a VPN changes your IP address.

FYI, I have looked into this device some time back with a post here.

Problem - How to set up 2 DHCP servers in a single network?

If you'll to block the IP address I doubt you can use its cloud service. Moreover, you'll not be able to receive any firmware update.

Cujo is one of my To-Do-List things besides the Netgear Armor (subscription-based) from Netgear Orbi Router and eBlocker to protect the security and privacy of my IoT and non-IoT devices

The number one thing for me now is to get a router that has WPA3 and WiFi 802.11ax. The rest can come later.

Last edited:

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
You are assuming they are logging in. It's actually quite possible they are simply pushing out firmware or database updates to your device to accomplish the same thing.

It sounds like they are using SNI to identify malicious domains. Nothing intrusive about that and about all they know is the TLD you visited should they bother to look and certainly not the contents of those packets. Cujo doesn't have nearly enough power to be anything more than a L5 device so it's really not going to know the content of anything.

Either you trust Cujo or you don't, it's important to have trust in any firm you do business with regarding security.

I did not even think of that, but now that you mention it when they changed my DNS the Cujo eyes did flash off and on like it was being updated, it would not have done that had they logged on to it like I do with the phone app.

So you are probably right, I let my paranoia get the better of my common sense.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 58943

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.