App Review Cylance (old and new) vs. Signature-based AV (in an offline test) with fresh malware and ransomware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
There used to be a dude around here, Mekelek or something that reminded me of Triple Herixmer and Baldrick.

Your critique of my post yesterday was mostly justified but you are speaking here as if you are speaking in a conversation post ? Maybe I should just ignore this but right now I don't think so.

Reactions: upnorth
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

God I hope they don't get bought out and repackaged into bloatware security products.

Good point. Especially since most vectors Cylance doesn't cover can be covered without ANY additional system weight or bloat.

I can write a login script(or you can use a canned one from someone else) for Windows to shut down the majority of open Cylance vectors like scripts and junk. Tweak up Windows Firewall, add a malware blocking DNS to your router DNS resolver entries, toss an extension on your browser and be done. No additional bloat, bloated suites, telemetry, ads, useless features, upsells, - all gone.

If you get infected under those conditions then consider Chromebooks or Debian instead. :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:

As I've said before, Artificial Intelligence does not mean the IQ is very high.

Cylance hasn't brought anything new to the table. Their purported "Next Gen" has been in use for over a decade by others. "Next Gen" is a marketing gimmick.

And the definition of insanity is trying to do the same thing over-and-over, but expecting a different result. I don't know about anyone else, but for me, after trying the same thing the 999th time and getting the same sort of same-old, same-old results, it just becomes plain, dumb, stupidity.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Well yeah, it's not really the future. It's now.. Most companies have some sort of AI/ML technologies in place. Have you seen how good SEPC is with ML now? It's probably way better than Cylance at this point and is ridiculously robust because SEPC covers almost all vectors and has that ragingly good Firewall+IPS.

I guess the proper phrase might be 'AI/ML has been around, is getting better and will be more capable as time goes on'.. Is that better? LOL

I think the future for Cylance is either it is acquired and integrated with another product/suite, or it becomes a licensed product for other solutions. They already signed a multi-million deal with Watchguard Security to put Cylance on the gateway of ALL Watchguard Appliances - that's already rolled out. Those kinds of licensing arrangements are where I predict it is heading. Or like InterceptX, they get bought out and tucked inside another product.

Watchguard is going places in that they license some of the top technologies in their areas, most recently adding some big players to try and score higher on the quadrant.

OEM Partners
Not really as they also suck major d with scripts. On the other hand if you disallow scripts with policy then the ML does a pretty good job from my testing with exe. The cloud version also has 1% of settings of SEP which doesn't help setup some settings that improve the detection. SEP>SEPC=SEPSB

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

AI is marketing gimmick, but IQ can be measured. Best :emoji_ok_hand:

It's not Cylance that's causing controversy, but different understanding of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning terms used by security product vendors.

D

Deleted member 178

It's not Cylance that's causing controversy,
It is, with their shitty "Unbelievable-my-crappy-butt" Tour where they cherry picked samples to look good and at the same time "cheated" the Sophos test by disabling some of its components, which retaliated perfectly and destroyed them in their own video (which was generously removed shortly after Cylance babycried and begged for its removal) LOOOOOL

Thoughts on comparative testing

itwt

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
It is, with their shitty "Unbelievable-my-crappy-butt" Tour where they cherry picked samples to look good and at the same time "cheated" the Sophos test by disabling some of its components, which retaliated perfectly and destroyed them in their own video (which was generously removed shortly after Cylance babycried and begged for its removal) LOOOOOL
itwt

Yeah, that's the reason I didn't like Cylance.... based on their cheater and then crybaby antics.

But things move on.... company leadership changes...

Like I said, Cylance implicitly admitted that they caused confusion with their marketing in an article. I previously made the link to it, but obviously no one bothered to read it. If you don't like it, then take it up with Cylance. They're the ones who co-sponsored the Series 3 article.

There is no controversy. "Next Gen" is absolutely a marketing gimmick. It is used to make people think that they are getting some new cutting-edge technology, when, in truth, what they are getting is technology that has been around for over a decade and in-use by others. ESET and others within the industry agree with this position.

Libera Milanesi

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2018
"Next Gen" is absolutely a marketing gimmick.
Most of the time, the "Next Gen" technology is nothing new and has been around for an extremely long time... something old but re-branded as new. People do it all the time with cars, bikes, furniture... just with different wording appropriate for the topics. It's supposed to make the viewer believe they are going to get something brand new and phenomenally impressive to protect them from any type of attack... which draws in sales. Cylance aren't the only ones who have thrown around the "Next Gen" wording and other vendors who don't have dipped into other marketing tactics like using the AV testing results to claim they can provide "99% detection ratio", it's all just marketing in different forms.

It's a marketing gimmick. Lockdown is spot on.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Like I said, Cylance implicitly admitted that they caused confusion with their marketing in an article. I previously made the link to it, but obviously no one bothered to read it. If you don't like it, then take it up with Cylance. They're the ones who co-sponsored the Series 3 article.

There is no controversy. "Next Gen" is absolutely a marketing gimmick. It is used to make people think that they are getting some new cutting-edge technology, when, in truth, what they are getting is technology that has been around for over a decade and in-use by others. ESET and others within the industry agree with this position.
Sounds like when some antivirus companies put the next year into their product name.

It's 2017, here's our new security X 2018.

Most of the time, the "Next Gen" technology is nothing new and has been around for an extremely long time... something old but re-branded as new. People do it all the time with cars, bikes, furniture... just with different wording appropriate for the topics. It's supposed to make the viewer believe they are going to get something brand new and phenomenally impressive to protect them from any type of attack... which draws in sales. Cylance aren't the only ones who have thrown around the "Next Gen" wording and other vendors who don't have dipped into other marketing tactics like using the AV testing results to claim they can provide "99% detection ratio", it's all just marketing in different forms.

It's a marketing gimmick. Lockdown is spot on.

Almost all AV's copy each other. After one comes to market with some new gimmick, most of the rest soon follow and jump on the same marketing band wagon. For example, if one piles on more features, then most of the others play catch-up and do the same. And continually adding features is not innovation. It is what the industry calls "feature creep." I know someone who insists that new features must continually be added to keep a product relevant. Nope. Not true. Adding more features means more user-annoying bugs and other problems. So less is always more - especially if a product works really well to begin with.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

You talk from security geek perspective. Regular chrome/Adobe/office home user doesn't give a damn about AI or ML, just more confusing words to add for already existing - Antivirus. "Ye, cool story bro"

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.