App Review Cylance (old and new) vs. Signature-based AV (in an offline test) with fresh malware and ransomware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
This all seems to me like a snake oil vendor getting mad as people have started buying a competitors brand because they've chosen to add mint to the tincture.

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
Can SpyHunter be considered as competitor? :unsure:They have resources and a lot money too. :D

SpyHunter - EnigmaSoft Ltd

Yes, but you have to understand, there are ethical standards to this industry. We require no fewer than three pop-ups a day to remind the user that they are being protected - this can take the variation of an informative window that says their definitions have been updated, or something of that nature. The rule is different for free users, of course, as you are permitted a window that they must start at for a fixed amount of time reminding them that they are not completely protected as they do not have all of the modules of the paid AV. Make sure to remind them about additional tertiary benefits, like the performance sweeper bundled with the premium version, and your top-of-the-line VPN software. Or the secure banking browser provided, which is really just an out of date chrome re-skin. Though not a requirement , once you've managed to get their credit-card details it is preferable that you remove the ask toolbar that has been bundled with the free version. If you're including a firewall in your program, it's really fine if you turn off IPV6 filtering as no one really uses that anyway. And of course, there is user support to consider. If something goes wrong, it can be helpful to bundle remote-administration software with your firewall. For simplicity sake, just use the default un/pw for your out of date bundled remote-admin software.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

There are better av's out there that are free with more options, just a view of av's in general.
57760316aceca_sm.jpg

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
I guess we'd all prefer Honest Abe's Decent Anti-Malware System. We detect malware, and we do an OK job at it. A name like that sells itself I say.

Reactions: oldschool

Inappropriate Behavior
What happened ? Cylance is no longer "it" ?

Gee, I wonder who had the foresight to call the fizzle and pffftttt on Cylance here ?

Who can predict the next shilling ? What's the next shilled product ?

I would call Sentinel One, Intercept X or DeepArmor, but it looks like there is little to no traction as there have been multiple hits on the threads and they have gone nowhere. Maybe it will be Windows System Restore as @Umbra predicted.

Or maybe things got deflated as some came to see the "NextGen" marketing gimmick for what it is... just a manipulation of semantics ? "Ah... the current marketing of Ai\ML is mostly hype with no real substance."

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Gee, I wonder who had the foresight to call the fizzle and pffftttt on Cylance here ?

I would call Sentinel One, Intercept X or DeepArmor, but it looks like there is little to no traction as there have been multiple hits on the threads and they have gone nowhere. Maybe it will be Windows System Restore as @Umbra predicted.

Or maybe things got deflated as some came to see the "NextGen" marketing gimmick for what it is... just a manipulation of semantics ? "Ah... the current marketing of Ai\ML is mostly hype with no real substance."
I will bite. I have not tried Sentinel One or DeepArmor but do have Intercept X in my VM. I just have not had the time to mess with it much lately.
I tried Cylance Home against a bunch of malware, then I tried Kaspersky against the same bunch and I can tell you this, Cylance and Kaspersky both caught the same ones, except Cylance caught them 10 times faster.

I will bite. I have not tried Sentinel One or DeepArmor but do have Intercept X in my VM. I just have not had the time to mess with it much lately.
I tried Cylance Home against a bunch of malware, then I tried Kaspersky against the same bunch and I can tell you this, Cylance and Kaspersky both caught the same ones, except Cylance caught them 10 times faster.

I am assuming that you mean Cylance "catches" in less than a second versus Kaspersky might "catch" in 2 seconds. Whatever that speed difference might be, it has no significant meaning in-practice. So it is a moot point.

The point of my post was that there is revolving-door-like and comical trend of shilling security solutions by various members here at MT. And it isn't like the same things haven't been shilled in the past. There are droves of material covering the same thing over-and-over, almost as if to some kind of schedule or que. The security forum trend just is what it is, but it is fun to see the latest and greatest bally-hoo.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I am assuming that you mean Cylance "catches" in less than a second versus Kaspersky might "catch" in 2 seconds. Whatever that speed difference might be, it has no significant meaning in-practice. So it is a moot point.

The point of my post was that there is revolving-door-like and comical trend of shilling security solutions by various members here at MT. And it isn't like the same things haven't been shilled in the past. There are droves of material covering the same thing over-and-over, almost as if to some kind of schedule or que. The security forum trend just is what it is, but it is fun to see the latest and greatest bally-hoo.

I thought the latest is Heimdal_now_Thor... "For security that can handle next-gen attacks, rely on next-gen Antivirus with local signature and cloud scanning, sandboxing and process modification behavioural detection." Some folks saying it is good others worthless :unsure:

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Or maybe people are enjoying it and not interested in the banter? I know I've recommended it to a dozen or so family/friends who purchased licenses and seem to really like it (with my caveats in place). Especially the gamers enjoying the zero-weight. My favorite combo is Cylance+OSArmor+Heimdal, with Syshardener executed, and sitting behind a UTM for a zero-hassle, highly protective, no weight configuration.

Interestingly, I was in one of the nations largest hospital conglomerates last week and noticed they had CylancePROTECT on their systems. Pretty cool seeing it, and it appeared to be on this one particular system in a room for a long time as it had evaluated 95,000 files. A buddy tells me they have about 30,000+ endpoints spread over the region. That's some serious $$$ on Cylance.

No idea. But we can pretty much guarantee it won't be Appguard.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I thought the latest is Heimdal_now_Thor... "For security that can handle next-gen attacks, rely on next-gen Antivirus with local signature and cloud scanning, sandboxing and process modification behavioural detection." Some folks saying it is good others worthless :unsure:

Agreed. I think that all the fuss about Cylance was just a dream! :sleep: All over now....I woke up :emoji_cold_sweat::emoji_cold_sweat::emoji_cold_sweat::LOL:

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014

The main thread got locked again for some reason.

No idea. But we can pretty much guarantee it won't be Appguard.

Nice try with the baiting, but I can guarantee AppGuard won't be shilled either. First off, we're not interested in nor want to be associated with the demographic or types that are disposed to shill. Secondly, we don't sell directly to home users. And thirdly, the shilling that takes place on these forums is inconsequential to the bigger picture.

Whether or not AppGuard is promoted here or used by anyone here certainly isn't going to hurt our feelings. We don't need any validation from people on these forums. It's not like these forums lead to actual revenue streams that total anything more than a mere trickle. I mean, really, how many people have actually purchased Cylance because of all the nonsense hype here at MT ? I bet less than 10 and wouldn't at all be surprised if it totals less than 5.

I just think what does go on here is comical for those of us that know better. And it isn't like it hasn't been noticed by many others. Go over to Wilders to see the many comments about the Cylance shilling that goes on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.