App Review Cylance Smart Antivirus 2021

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Cylance test!
Cylance is an American anti-virus, designed for companies and developed by BlackBerry.
The software offers a 100% Cloud solution by operating on a system of file lists on / not on and suspect file.
Apart from that... Nothing... no web protection, no scanner, nothing.
But, will it manage to protect our PC?

It is mixed.
On the Web, it has let through 4 rather serious infections (FormBook, AgentTesla, a RAT and a Trojan) and does not interrupt their actions.
On the pack, it is impossible to know how many it leaves, Cylance has no file scanner!

I must admit that I don't like the way it works. Some AV 100% In-The-Cloud still has defenses if the computer is not connected to the Internet (the case of Sophos Home for example)
But on Cylance, NOTHING!

I do not recommend Cylance to protect you.

RAM Usage : Average
Phishing Test : No anti-phishing on this product! Not tested
Malware URL test : 5/9 (4 missed, 1 dead)
Fake crack : 1/1 (detected)
Malware Pack : Impossible to know how many he leaves, Cylance does not analyze the files. Only at runtime
Home Malware : 1/1 (detected by Database)
Result :
- Zemana : 1
- Hitman Pro : 12
- NPE : 10
- Autoruns : 2 keys
- Emsisoft : 10
- ESET : 172 (Several files come from the Cylance quarantine)

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
That's not true. Both versions have changed very little. They are basically the same from 5 years ago. The consumer version is the commercial version with certain features not exposed; both share the same code and feature sets, the same as a Windows image contains call versions of Windows on it. It is the activation that enables certain features.
Thats not true either. The home version definitely doesn't share the same feature set as the business version. The business version for example has Script Control which is the reason why the Cylance home edition performs so poorly when being tested with malicious scripts. It only detects PE-files while the business version also protects from fileless attacks.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
ESET : 172 (Several files come from the Cylance quarantine)
WTH!!! Does it mean Cylance's quarantine files are not encrypted! How is it possible! 😳
If that's the case, then it's not even a proper security product. You should check by backing up some of those quarantined files and scan them with other products/scanners. Uploading to Virustotal should work too.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Article not found on the link :/
Unbenannt.PNG

JoeN

Level 6
Verified
May 10, 2011

I must admit that I don't like the way it works. Some AV 100% In-The-Cloud still has defenses if the computer is not connected to the Internet (the case of Sophos Home for example)
But on Cylance, NOTHING!

Cylance uses local policies when it is not connected to the internet...

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Cylance uses local policies when it is not connected to the internet...

Hello League Of :)
Where do you see this ? Because nothing is indicated in the software, nor on the site of Cylance... Or maybe I saw wrong

Reactions: Nevi and JoeN

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Cylance for business and home are not separate products. They just don't expose some features in the home product. The home product is deliberately feature-limited because Cylance does not want to deal with home users and their inability to figure out blocks. So Cylance's solution is not to make those features available to home users.

There are not two independent versions of Cylance. They share the same code, with the home version just not giving features to home users who are only going to mess up and then ask for support. Cylance is not neglecting the home version as you state.
Then I got you wrong at first. I'd still call it neglecting the home version as important security mechanics are not available in the home version. Not making script protection available for home users in 2021 is a shame.

Reactions: poopdookie

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Then I got you wrong at first. I'd still call it neglecting the home version as important security mechanics are not available in the home version. Not making script protection available for home users in 2021 is a shame.
it's real shame. Most free AVs have some kind of script protection but cylance, a paid AV, doesn't
If I recall correctly, avira is the second one which doesn't have script protection. Whe I tested avira free and pro 2 years ago, they always failed against undectected scripts

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.