Not open for further replies.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
A rather famous "Ai based" protection system from Cylence has been released for home consumers as well, it's named Cylence Smart Antivirus. They used to only offer enterprise solutions, but now they also tapped into home consumer market. Unfortunately they don't provide any trial versions so you have to purchase it and evaluate it during 30 day money back period.

Don't really know what else to write about it, I just thought it would be nice to let you know on the news about release of it.

More info here:
Cylance Smart Antivirus

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

You don't need to be an employee anymore. Anyone can buy $69.00 a year 5 devices.
Does not work on Mac 10.14 Mojave

Cylance Smart Antivirus

Well they ask for your work email address. Ok I guess that is just for the demo. I do see you can purchase it .
I used Cylance Protect for two years but it was not their AV and the yearly price was 60 bucks. Protect also had a web interface. I wonder how this AV compares to Protect at half the price?

Hawaii007

Level 2
Verified
Jan 31, 2018
Well they ask for your work email address. Ok I guess that is just for the demo. I do see you can purchase it .
I used Cylance Protect for two years but it was not their AV and the yearly price was 60 bucks. Protect also had a web interface. I wonder how this AV compares to Protect at half the price?

Same AV, simplified dashboard.

Reactions: Weebarra

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I ran Cylance for about six months but it has a lot of false positives and blocks things you can't unbolck or allow because the dashboard is basically read only, I requested some admin privileges on my account but could not get them.

There is no way to pause it like other AV's, so some software and driver updates would never install correctly, I became so frustrated I finally gave up and removed it.

I love the idea of adding and AI based AV to my configuration, hopefully they changed some things with this home version I will wait and see before I try it again.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I ran Cylance for about six months but it has a lot of false positives and blocks things you can't unbolck or allow because the dashboard is basically read only, I requested some admin privileges on my account but could not get them.

There is no way to pause it like other AV's, so some software and driver updates would never install correctly, I became so frustrated I finally gave up and removed it.

I love the idea of adding and AI based AV to my configuration, hopefully they changed some things with this home version I will wait and see before I try it again.
Great info! I have contacted Cylance with the idea of implementing its business solutions to the company I work in. Through tomorrow and next week we will be having a Skype call and I will be shown a demo of how the product works, which if I'm not mistaken is kind of the same product (talking about functionalities) than the home version. If you want me to ask them anything, shoot away now.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
You can allow or quarrantine in the dashboard.
You can also exit Cylance if you want to install.

I couldn't allow or quarantine anything in the online dashboard I had no privileges, and exiting Cylance just shut down the little desktop dashboard app.

Reactions: Weebarra

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I just had a conference with a Cylance technician and sales representative, in order to know the product to implement it on my company. I'm talking to an engineer this week, so many things are yet to come, but so far:

• Works 100% on IA
  • Needs an update every 6-9 months
  • Can work totally offline without limitations
  • Does not include firewall
  • It does include several components such as Application Control (differing from ordinary Application Controls, it can for example limit the usage of USB's, telling the system it cannot reproduce any USB except the one with this brand and serial number)
  • Very very few to none FP
  • Needs previous configuration and policies set up (not necessary a Cylance technician)
  • IA differs from BB in an exceptional way. To start with, it does not sandbox nor search the cloud for behaviour examples. Everything is done locally. No data is sent nor recieved.
  • No telemetry at all (wow)
  • Privacy-focused
  • CEO is ex McAfee
  • Really lightweight and light on system
  • 4-5 years they studied malware behaviour
  • There's no delay at all (milliseconds) when consulting the IA to execute files

Please drop any questions you may have so I can include them on my next talk with the engineer.

Unfortunately they don't provide any trial versions so you have to purchase it and evaluate it during 30 day money back period.

Don't really know what else to write about it, I just thought it would be nice to let you know on the news about release of it.

More info here:
Cylance Smart Antivirus

No 30-day trial is customary for a primarily Enterprise security solution publisher.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

• No telemetry at all (wow)
  • Privacy-focused
This is somewhat unbelievable, knowing that Cylance was CIA funded and they wouldn't want more in-depth users information in return, especially home users now, but maybe it's true and Home users are just boring side of the game and not much "valuable data for them" to harvest from us. Sad they don't provide any trials, but I can understand it. Keep us updated RoboBoy. (y)

This is somewhat unbelievable, knowing that Cylance was CIA funded and they wouldn't want more in-depth users information in return, especially home users now, but maybe it's true and Home users are just boring side of the game and not much "valuable data for them" to harvest from us. Sad they don't provide any trials, but I can understand it. Keep us updated RoboBoy. (y)

If Cylance collected user infos for American users and funneled it to the CIA, then that would violate the CIA mandate and be illegal.

Just because a company takes CIA grant money does not mean that they are puppets of the CIA.

The CIA has been providing technology grant money to all kinds of companies for decades. The only difference nowadays is that a few people are now aware of it.

Foreign intelligence\security services, such as the FSB, do the same thing by the way... but nobody ever says anything about what those agencies do. Actually, agencies like the FSB keep such funding a secret - and that probably accounts for the lack of comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.