Cylance Smart Antivirus for consumers

Status
Not open for further replies.

I just had a conference with a Cylance technician and sales representative, in order to know the product to implement it on my company. I'm talking to an engineer this week, so many things are yet to come, but so far:

• Works 100% on IA
  • Needs an update every 6-9 months
  • Can work totally offline without limitations
  • Does not include firewall
  • It does include several components such as Application Control (differing from ordinary Application Controls, it can for example limit the usage of USB's, telling the system it cannot reproduce any USB except the one with this brand and serial number)
  • Very very few to none FP
  • Needs previous configuration and policies set up (not necessary a Cylance technician)
  • IA differs from BB in an exceptional way. To start with, it does not sandbox nor search the cloud for behaviour examples. Everything is done locally. No data is sent nor recieved.
  • No telemetry at all (wow)
  • Privacy-focused
  • CEO is ex McAfee
  • Really lightweight and light on system
  • 4-5 years they studied malware behaviour
  • There's no delay at all (milliseconds) when consulting the IA to execute files

Please drop any questions you may have so I can include them on my next talk with the engineer.

If there is no telemetry whatsoever, then how can one utilize the Cylance console and manage the end-point client.

Silly rabbit marketing... the thing collects at least a minimum of file infos.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
If there is no telemetry whatsoever, then how can one utilize the Cylance console and manage the end-point client.

Silly rabbit marketing... the thing collects at least a minimum of file infos.
C Y L A N C E M A G I C T R I C K S

Remember I just talked to a low level technician and a sales representative. This guys just wanna sell. I just threw out here random comments they dropped. I'm actually looking forward the conference with the engineer for a much more deep scan of the product. That's why I suggested everyone to drop any -serious- questions they may have,

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

No telemetry at all (wow)
Privacy-focused

CIA funded, staffed with some spooks?

8KTtscB.jpg

If Cylance collected user infos for American users and funneled it to the CIA, then that would violate the CIA mandate and be illegal.

Illegal on paper, but not so much in theory. The CIA are masters at utilizing alternative channels to operate on US Soil. Often the FBI is brought in as nothing more than a proxy for the CIA. Or the CIA uses third party firms to conduct operations under the guise of private contractors (like Booz). There are plenty of documented examples of CIA operations on US Soil. Operation BLUEBIRD, MK-ULTRA, MK-SEARCH, MK-BURN. We happened to have a few professors in the family, and they have plenty of stories of CIA operations on US campuses. Nothing new there. Let's not forget some untimely and strange deaths of people investigating the CIA.. Gary Webb committing suicide by shooting himself (twice) in the head. Or Michael Hasting's hacked Mercedes...

Just because a company takes CIA grant money does not mean that they are puppets of the CIA.

So then.. Why are they seeding them? What's the benefit? There should be no assumption of cognitive dissonance here.

I'll spare the forum of my diatribe about the CIA and their evil doings and just say that any firm that takes even $1 from them is tainted goods to many people and consequently, many firms. I think in the modern age, most people don't feel the FBI, NSA and CIA are honorable firms, filled with honorable heroes. I think the realization that there is a fifth estate in the USA that has largely gone rogue is pretty daunting but seemingly becoming more obvious by the month.

I

illumination

View attachment 192706

Illegal on paper, but not so much in theory. The CIA are masters at utilizing alternative channels to operate on US Soil. Often the FBI is brought in as nothing more than a proxy for the CIA. Or the CIA uses third party firms to conduct operations under the guise of private contractors (like Booz). There are plenty of documented examples of CIA operations on US Soil. Operation BLUEBIRD, MK-ULTRA, MK-SEARCH, MK-BURN. We happened to have a few professors in the family, and they have plenty of stories of CIA operations on US campuses. Nothing new there. Let's not forget some untimely and strange deaths of people investigating the CIA.. Gary Webb committing suicide by shooting himself (twice) in the head. Or Michael Hasting's hacked Mercedes...

So then.. Why are they seeding them? What's the benefit? There should be no assumption of cognitive dissonance here.

I'll spare the forum of my diatribe about the CIA and their evil doings and just say that any firm that takes even $1 from them is tainted goods to many people and consequently, many firms. I think in the modern age, most people don't feel the FBI, NSA and CIA are honorable firms, filled with honorable heroes. I think the realization that there is a fifth estate in the USA that has largely gone rogue is pretty daunting but seemingly becoming more obvious by the month.
Good thing your in the "way too much over kill" Home security group category, you're going to need it after this post ;):ROFLMAO:

View attachment 192706

The CIA technology directorate funds all sorts of technology that the agency might, in-turn, use to solve intelligence problems. That's hardly putting agents in everyone's socks. Sharing technology and spying on people are two different things. It's like saying the Dept of the Navy created the world wide web and made it available to the world so that it could spy on everyone or that the technology can intrinsically spy on people. Both statements just ain't true and are baseless.

Our product has been used by the various agencies and departments. So that means we received government funds, but not via any grant program. Instead the payments originated from the various accounts payable divisions.

Ex-CIA and other prior government agency\department personnel are associated with or on-staff at AppGuard LLC - and we are not leveraged by the government against users in some hidden, insidious way.

We are not going to get dragged into doing something illegal that can potentially bury the company for the sake of some grant. I would think the folks at Cylance would use the same common sense judgment.

However, all of that doesn't stop people from baselessly spouting the same conspiracy theory nonsense about us.

We are used to it.

And the answer is this... if one doesn't like it, then don't use our product. Because with conspiracy types there is absolutely no way to convince not a single one of them of any fact(s) other than the conspiracy theories that swirl within the halls of their minds.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
So, Cylance and AppGuard are no difference in anyway.....having links to CIA/government agency personnel?

D

Deleted member 178

So, Cylance and AppGuard are no difference in anyway.....having links to CIA/government agency personnel?
Means that the products are considered solid, if not, no agencies would spend millions to use them. And gov agencies don't need people to install software to spy on them; they have easier and more efficient ways.

Now if you listen every gov-conspiracy idiots, you should live in a cave in remote island cut-off from any electronic devices LOL.
the only ones really concerned by being spied are terrorists, pedophiles, various mafias and high-tech companies.
Targeting Average Joe is worthless and a waste of resources and time.
There is Prism and various keyword analyzers for that which are more effective than hoping that some dude buy and use a software.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017

I appreciate your input here but you should look into this a bit more, these members of our security departments are highly scrutinized, put to the most intrusive process of investigation possible, they are at their basis boy scouts and that's what they're looking for, eagle scouts really, the highest level of integrity, this has been true since the Hover era. I would question the leadership of my country but I wouldn't question the intelligence departments for a moment, the difference from what your hearing and what is reality is the difference between true and false, that simple.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Means that the products are considered solid, if not, no agencies would spend millions to use them. And gov agencies don't need people to install software to spy on them; they have easier and more efficient ways.

Now if you listen every gov-conspiracy idiots, you should live in a cave in remote island cut-off from any electronic devices LOL.
the only ones really concerned by being spied are terrorists, pedophiles, various mafias and high-tech companies.
Targeting Average Joe is worthless and a waste of resources and time.
There is Prism and various keyword analyzers for that which are more effective than hoping that some dude buy and use a software.
Sure. But using other methods would be like using a butcher knife to kill a chicken

How easy would CIA/government agencies to track you by simply having a backdoor (to activate anytime like a bot) to harvest your data if you have the software.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I appreciate your input here but you should look into this a bit more, these members of our security departments are highly scrutinized, put to the most intrusive process of investigation possible, they are at their basis boy scouts and that's what they're looking for, eagle scouts really, the highest level of integrity, this has been true since the Hover era. I would question the leadership of my country but I wouldn't question the intelligence departments for a moment, the difference from what your hearing and what is reality is the difference between true and false, that simple.
To me since Cylance and AppGuard are somewhat related to the governemnt agnecies in some ways they are both the same. Integrity is questionable. Of course for users of these software they'll sure defend them to their last breath.

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413
D

Deleted member 178

How easy would CIA/government agencies to track you by simply having a backdoor (to activate anytime like a bot) to harvest your data if you have the software.
They have Windows LOL , why such an hassle to put another bug in a room , when the whole house is (maybe) bugged by default.

To me since Cylance and AppGuard are somewhat related to the governemnt agnecies in some ways they are both the same. Integrity is questionable. Of course for users of these software they'll sure defend them to their last breadth.
integrity for who? privacy paranoids, so they better stop using Windows and go with Tails.

i'm sorry but if i don't do any criminal activities, i rather use a product used by/related to my government (at least if my datas are collected , they will be "safe") than one from some unknown dev who may really spy on me and do whatever he wants with them...

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Sure. But using other methods would be like using a butcher knife to kill a chicken

Not saying that they can't. But if they wanted to backdoor a software I imagine they would focus on one which the general public doesn't know they have funded or have contacted the developer.

D

Deleted member 178

Not saying that they can't. But if they wanted to backdoor a software I imagine they would focus on one which the general public doesn't know they have funded or have contacted the developer.
Exactly, you have to understand that every major tech companies are in bed with their respective governments because they have access to millions of machines' datas and they get "protection" from their government.

So if you want to avoid being PRISM-ed , dont use services/soft of those tech giants.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Hey Guys, this discussion is getting a bit over the top. There is no Double-Secret conspiracy here. For those that may not know how things work:

1). You have an idea for some Security Software (or Jet engine, or hand Phaser, etc). In order for you to grow your startup you need seed money. Although the usual route would be Investments Banks like Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, etc., one can always also ask for startup cash from organizations that may care for your product. One of these places to get funding is In-Q-Tel. In-Q-Tel is indeed affiliated with US Security Agencies as they actively seek cutting edge stuff to add to their box of toys.

IQT sometimes will give out the money for a stake in the company, sometimes if they really don't have much of an interest they will just pave the way for your company to link up with Venture capital for subsequent funding. In the case of Cylance, they received IQT funding in (I think) 2015 in order to grow the company for a piece of the action.

2). About ex-Security Agency folks now working in the private sector:

a. You can have some former NSA bigwig getting a gig on the Board of Directors of a company. This is done for His/Her connections to funding and happens all the time.
b. Then you have Peasants that worked for the Government for a number of years, gained experience with cutting edge ##### and now want to spread their wings and actually make oodles of cash. Depending on their former position and educational experience, those in the Private Sector normally won't even wait for them to quit their Government positions but will actively solicit them via HeadHunters. Once again, no super secret stuff.

So there is no secret stuff here, just common sense prevailing.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The info on Cylance and AppGuard is on the net. So you are implying they are clean with the government agencies? Maybe they are clean now but how about later............?

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If I have Cylance or AppGuard software I'll surely defend to my last breath

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
The info on Cylance and AppGuard is on the net. So you are implying they are clean with the government agencies?

Now come on, take a few breaths before your death and read more carefully, what he is saying is that they wouldn't use any app know to be involved with themselves, exactly the opposite of your assertion. I can only speak for me and I meant I appreciate you in this forum, just take a moment before you respond, guilty myself, no judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.