Dark elixas setup

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You own a G-Data 2012 license, but don't have it installed. Correct? :)

Are those notifications from the Windows Action Center regarding Emsisoft?

Personal Recommendations:
Additional second opinion on-demand scanner. No need to activate license and uncheck scan for Cookies.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
stormgtr said:
You own a G-Data 2012 license, but don't have it installed. Correct? :)

Are those notifications from the Windows Action Center regarding Emsisoft?

Personal Recommendations:
Additional second opinion on-demand scanner. No need to activate license and uncheck scan for Cookies.

That is correct I own but do not have it installed as I was not sure which to use. Correct sometimes with Emsisoft updates a windows alert will pop up telling me that emsisoft is not turned on and to turn it on yet the guard is still active

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Real-time protection
Way to much security in real time.
Emsisoft Antimalware with the OA Firewall is all you need in real time.MBAM can be safely removed from you real time config.Please note that this setup is very good but the HIPS from OA can generate a few pop-ups which you'll have to answer.So it's not as user friendly as G-data would be.
As for the Windows pop-up , I never saw one, back when I was using this product but If the alerts are from the Windows Action Center , you can easily disable them.
Just go to : Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Change Action Center settings and uncheck the group for which Windows is alerting you. (most likely Virus protection" , btw if you want you can show us a screenshot)
[attachment=568]

Another good option would be G-data IS 2012, I'm using it right now , and apart from the slow start I can't feel any slow down.This setup is very good if you want a friendly security with no alerts.

Now it seems that you've invested very much in your Real-Time protection but you have neglected all the other fields , here is what you should add and please keep in mind that real time protection is not the only way to fight malware :

Additional on-demand scanner:
Hitman Pro (Trial) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed.

Additional browser plugins
WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

LastPass (Free/) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

Adblock Plus for Google Chrome (Free) - link
Adblock Plus for Google Chrome is a content-filtering extension for Google Chrome. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

Virtualization:
Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.
More details - link

Extra protection:
VTUploader (Free) - link
To upload a file to VirusTotal, you can visit the main analysis site, click the Browse button to select a file from your hard drive, and then click the Send file button. You can make this process even easier with the free VirusTotal Uploader utility. After installing it, you can simply right-click any file under 20MB and choose "VirusTotal" from the Send To Windows menu. The scan results will display in your browser as usual.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    56 KB · Views: 596

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
Solid config as far as I can tell, I can't recommend anything that Jack or Storm already haven't.

D

Deleted member 178

i waited Jack's post, i am lazy to post the same recommendations :p

i think we should a sticky post in the Config forum, like "must have applications and addons" it will avoid Jack to repeat the same things again and again ^^

Elixas could add EMET : http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5419

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
i waited Jack's post, i am lazy to post the same recommendations :p

i think we should a sticky post in the Config forum, like "must have applications and addons" it will avoid Jack to repeat the same things again and again ^^

Elixas could add EMET : http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5419

There are really no must have applications and the advice will differ from user to user, although I do have a thread up that lists trusted and known security products, if that works out, maybe someone can move the thread in this forum and sticky it :)

D

Deleted member 178

endejan said:
There are really no must have applications and the advice will differ from user to user,

It is because i always saw EMET, Sandboxie, MBAM, and some firefox addons like Lastpass as recommended ^^

although I do have a thread up that lists trusted and known security products, if that works out, maybe someone can move the thread in this forum and sticky it :)

yes it is what i asked before ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From original setup without on demand scanner its a good combo. Since your risk is medium a precautionary measure is need.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Probably it will be repository problem for that, but since its the problem for not detecting an AV.

Link

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I saw you are already trying to solve the security center notifications in the emsisoft forum. Since that is an official support forum they are probably more qualified to solve your issue. Untill then you'll have to confirm that the shields are on and working. You can use the eicar test file. This is a safe non-viral file but which your anti-virus software will react to as if it were a virus. If your security software works OK you can turn off notifications from Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Change Action Center settings. Uncheck "Spyware and related protection" and "Virus protection".

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Uninstalled Avast as the firewall was ticking me off by blocking programs from the internet. Back to Emsisoft Anti Malware with online armour. Online armour sometimes blocks online games so you have to exclude the whole folder for them to work

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For Windows 7, I haven't found the need to install a third-party firewall unless you want some sort of HIPS.

Did you have Avast's Firewall set as default or interactive? (Since it's a Silent Firewall).

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Avast Internet Security was installed on default settings so i believe that is silent firewall

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
G data Total Care 2012 certainly runs great after the first virus scan

Never thought I would have such a hard time choosing a suite to use, shouldnt have purchased so many licenses

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Because my pc was infected from virus's from pc tools antivirus and I wanted a suite to keep me protected and to remove the malware. I can not seem to decide between G data or Avast

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Or is there a way to stop Emsisoft Antimalware blocking legitamate websites all the time. Even when i open Msn messenger i get a little popup saying a website has been blocked

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.