Troubleshoot Dell Vostro 200 Boot-Up issue

K

Kristin

Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Its stayed the same.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Researching to no avail.
It is a Dell Vostro 200 running Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit with SP3, originally came with SP2. I have been having this issue for a few months now and I can't seem to find any topics related to my specific issue, it took me by surprise one day because its never done this before and I think this all started in the past three months of last year. When I press the power button it will start to boot up but then the power light will turn amber and it will completely shut off but then it starts up again, it does this a total of two times and then by the third time it will boot up and beep once, then I can access my desktop and it all works fine. But when I restart, it will do the same exact thing but only once, and then boots up but won't beep. I know its not over heating because I clean it well with compressed air and check it with Speccy, it also doesn't restart suddenly while I'm using it. I don't know what could be causing this, if it was one of the speakers that fell on the tower and knocked something loose or the power cord is going bad. I'm not a computer expert, I know a few things here and there but I've never worked inside of one, this isn't so much a problem as it is a nuisance, its just frustrating that I can't find any topic about it.

Reactions: LabZero
L

LabZero

Thread author
Well its had a good run to last this long, most things now don't even last half that. This computer was the second one we purchased, so it has some sentimental value to it, and I have a program that won't run on newer Windows versions and I really don't want to install a virtual machine on my Windows 7 computer just to run that one program.

The main problem with XP now is that are no longer released security patch.
It is therefore necessary to make it as secure as possible.

You can see :

http://www.cio.com/article/2376575/windows-xp/10-ways-to-keep-windows-xp-machines-secure.html

Reactions: FireShootSK
Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The problem here arise is the part of a hardware where could be the culprit, suggest to be ready for a little tight budget for labor, diagnose and repair fee.

What are some possible encounter you might remember which makes everything sudden cause issue? Besides of power shortage

Reactions: LabZero
Upvote 0
K

Kristin

Thread author
The problem here arise is the part of a hardware where could be the culprit, suggest to be ready for a little tight budget for labor, diagnose and repair fee.

What are some possible encounter you might remember which makes everything sudden cause issue? Besides of power shortage
It just happened out of the blue, as I said its never done this before and its always worked fine up until now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.