Advice Request Did anyone of you enter the Dark Web already and what are you doing to protect yourself from potential threats?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I know the dark web isn't that interesting anymore as it has been issued many times in the media before. Still I wanna check it out again and feel those vibes I had when i was sitting with my friends at school and watching the latest dark web videos. So to those people who are still browsing through the dark web sometimes: What are you doing to stay protected from potential threats in the dark web? Just wanna be sure that I'm prepared for it.
Looking forward to your replies! :)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I don't have the courage to swim on a beach where swimming is prohibited. Even if there is a beautiful coral reef that is only bred there, it should be avoided if there is a possibility that it is a feeding place for sharks. People tend to tell stories only about corals, so be careful.🐋🏖

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
If you are talking about tor and onion sites, use safest mode on tor wich disables javascript and dont change any settings of the browser and youre fine

Dont download anything, dont share anything..theres lea agents everywhere baiting you (y)

TLDR: just use clearweb, only thing i would use tor is just for free speech and on my country it still exist somewhat
Nowadays you just cant have political opinion without being called racist

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If you are talking about tor and onion sites, use safest mode on tor wich disables javascript and dont change any settings of the browser and youre fine

Dont download anything, dont share anything..theres lea agents everywhere baiting you (y)

TLDR: just use clearweb, only thing i would use tor is just for free speech and on my country it still exist somewhat
Nowadays you just cant have political opinion without being called racist
Criminals are not the only ones dealing with sharp knives. It's something cooks need too. Tor is a knife. I hope you are a cook who lives right.:)🔪

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Free Shadow Defender link still works,This is good option for extra protection.
if you install,you may want to use task manager to disable it from startup and only run when you want

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I actually don't think it's as dangerous as you all say. As far as I know it's not even prohibited to enter the dark net. So many of you just recommend using Shadow Defender or set the Tor Browser to strict security mode? I actually still think that wouldn't be enough. I set up a virtual machine with tails, installed UBlock origin, Privacy Possum, Https Everywhere and an User-Agent-Switcher on Tor which is already preinstalled on Linux Tails. On my host machine I'm also running Vypr VPN. The first step I do is connecting to my VPN, so that my ISP can't see me accessing the Darknet. After that I start Tor and start browsing. Not gonna lie, there are for real many disgusting sites out there which you don't wanna click on, but it's very interesting talking to strangers in anonymous chatrooms, or scrolling through some forums with all kinds of topics. I met a guy who said hes a vendor on the dark web, selling Credit card infos and hacked facebook accounts. That actually already made me close the Tor Browser and close my virtual machine, cause I didn't expect meeting such a person after 5 minutes browsing there. In short summary: The dark net really has many of those people (pedos, hackers, drug vendors etc.), but also many normal people who just are like me trying to discover something new.
Thanks for your answers so far :)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Main question is why exactly you want to browse the dark web to begin with.
Unless you are technical enough to know the ins and outs, avoid it. one wrong move and you can open a can of worms, get some infections and the list goes on. Also depending where you are from you might trigger some unwanted attention, even if it was unintentional.

Also the standard security wont be enough.

due to the sensitivity of the topic, im locking the topic, but leaving the info available.

Disclaimer:
In short, MalwareTips does not encourage the usage of such tools to visit the dark web.
If users wish to use some of the suggestions in this post, MT will not be liable nor responsible for any damage or any issues that may arise from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.