Advice Request Did windows defender just lock me out?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkpiehat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 30, 2015
not quite sure where to post this, but I was browsing album covers, I clicked on a pic to get a close up, and windows defender went crazy.... locked my computer up, audible alerts, flashing screen, and a warning message telling me not to switch off, or reboot, but to phone a certain phone number to get assistance in how to recover the computer. Something in the back of my mind told me not ring the number, so I rebooted.... everything seems fine, so my question is... is this legit, or the actions of a virus? looking into history I found the offending link, and security centre error... any advice really would be welcome... cheers.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Could be a Lock screen malware or just a scareware. You should make a new thread here.
Don't forget to read this before making a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.