Discussed and Voted by Staff: Like system being deactivated next month

Discussion in 'Community Announcements' started by Spawn, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2 Level 37
    Trusted

Dec 4, 2013
    Southern California (east of Los Angeles)
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    #21 Cats-4_Owners-2, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Point taken, Sasa.

:eek:Look! I am practicing no longer just leaning on 'liking' counter points anymore. *Fear of writing is lifting, whilst courage is coursing through my veins again!!:p:D

PS Can I be allowed to trade in my 'likes' for reputation points?o_O (Lol!!:D I'm Just Kidding, really!:p)

jamescv7, Kent, frogboy and 3 others like this.
  2. aztony

aztony New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Desert Southwest
    Ok, so what determines who is a trusted member? What's the criteria that must be met, or is that some deep mystery? What's the criteria of an active member vs a regular member. Maybe those things should be spelled out to avoid misperceptions.

3. juhful

juhful Level 12

Jun 22, 2013
    North America
    I think it's the right decision, the point of this site is to be a helpful forum about technology and the best and safest uses of it, it is not a popularity contest, if you like a post, if it helped you then tell the member who posted it that you liked it and thank them. I think this will mean more to those who help than a simple click on a thumbs up. Feel free to like this post as it might be my last chance to get me some likes!!! lol jk

jamescv7, Cats-4_Owners-2 and Sasa like this.
  4. kram7750

kram7750 New Member

Apr 12, 2014
    You can read more about Trusted Members group at the thread @Jack created when it was introduced over at the following link:
    http://malwaretips.com/threads/introducing-the-trusted-members-group.31160

Cheers. ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2, Sasa and aztony like this.
  5. aztony

aztony New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Desert Southwest
    Thanks, kram7750, appreciate that. But it still brings me back to my original quest for clarification on this point:
    What is the criteria?

Sasa likes this.
  6. kram7750

kram7750 New Member

Apr 12, 2014
    If a staff member feels that a post is of good quality (good post), then they may grant the member a reputation point for this post. You can view what posts staff members have given a member for by visiting their profile and navigating to the "Reputations" tab. Since the normal users won't decide whether the poster deserves a reputation point for their post, this does eliminate the abuse the likes system had, since the staff members won't abuse the system.

Did this answer your question?

Cheers. ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2 likes this.
  7. Paul Lee

Paul Lee Level 9

Oct 14, 2014
    Windows 10
    Personally think that this thread should have been a poll to determine who want and do not want the like button to be removed. Very sad to see it go away as it was always such a cool feature that separated MT from other malware-related websites.

Although this is true, it is somewhat gratifying to know that you helped someone out by receiving a simple like ;) but all good things must come to an end I suppose...

8. software182

software182 Level 12

Mar 4, 2014
    "Asking for Likes"

This is why i never care about likes in my profile :p btw, good job MT Staff, do whatever you like as long as it's good for MT & Members :D

9. aztony

aztony New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Desert Southwest
    Well it appears your explanation might have to do, since there is no definitive answer from any of the decision makers in that regard.

10. Exterminator

Exterminator Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 23, 2012
    USA
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Active member,regular member,well known member are based upon post count as are most promotional titles in most forum platforms.
    Trusted members are nominated by staff members and then voted upon by all staff members. These are members we feel have shown a willingness to help other members,are active & knowledgeable members.These are also members who we feel are have set an example of what a good forum member is really all about.If you look at those members in the Trusted Member group it is clearly apparent why these members were voted into the group.
    Reputation is given by staff only to members who have made helpful,knowledgeable posts or who we feel deserve reputation based on their contributions to the community.
    Members(including staff members) must remember there is a Forum owner here and it is solely up to him to determine what member groups,reputation/like systems and forum rules are implemented.

Because he has the most likes :D

11. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

"Likes"... what's that?

I know it is there and available if a member wishes to express their thoughts\feelings regarding post.

I rarely use it as I am too focused on making sure what I am posting is pertinent and accurate... and easy to understand.

Although, I will admit there are times that I may use only an emoticon to reply to a particularly poignant post - as a way to show that I agree.

I thought the sole purpose of the entire operation was to share infos and assist those in need of help or wanting to educate themselves?

I don't know very much when it comes to IT, but

"Like" harvesting and begging ... Really?

That's utter non-sense... and "a waste of resources."

12. Petrovic

Petrovic Level 61
    Trusted

Apr 25, 2013
    Somewhere In nowhere
    personal gain?
    What gain?
    Like - it may not affect anything

This will cause even more spam - there will be many senseless messages - "cheers, thanks, bla-bla-bla,etc.........."

Kent, Oxygen, silversurfer and 3 others like this.
  13. LabZero

LabZero Guest

Someone said that people make too many Like in the Hub: what is the problem?

Those working in Hub is enthusiastic and does this work with passion.

This Likes are the soul of this work

14. frogboy

frogboy Level 61
    Trusted

Jun 9, 2013
    Heavy Duty Mechanic.
    Western Australia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
  15. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Everyone who is a regular, participating MalwareTips member knows who contributes significantly and regularly.

I could list between 15 to 20 member tags off the top of my head... because they are always contributing to the MT community.

In the future, we may not be able to give you a "Like" - but we know who you are... o_O

16. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61
    Trusted

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Likes/Points are complements for making this flow of forum discussion much better, so sometimes its just a temporary and needs to lift for a meantime to adjust and analyze to provide better results; therefore I accept the decision of administrators. :)

Malwaretips can run without this and maintain the active community as possible.

17. Viking

Viking Level 22
    Trusted

Oct 2, 2011
    Australia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    #37 Viking, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    As @@yigido said, we are not here for likes anyway.

If your interested in Likes, go to Facebook! lol

Cats-4_Owners-2 and tonibalas like this.
  18. cruelsister

cruelsister Level 32
    Trusted

Apr 13, 2013
    NYC
    I'm just happy there were never any Dislikes as I'm quite sensitive.

19. Exterminator

Exterminator Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 23, 2012
    USA
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I would just like to say I did not vote for removing the likes.I was strong armed into voting yes by a staff induced mob action

Cats-4_Owners-2 and Oxygen like this.
  20. Tony Cole

Tony Cole Level 27

May 11, 2014
    Emergency medicine ST3
    UK
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I think the ideology behind trying to get a few points, is not only immature but pathetic. I do not know a lot about IT or malware. I joined to learn and I have learnt a lot, and I have then been able to implement this knowledge on to my laptop, in-terms-of effective security, what to look out for etc., etc., Jack has got to maintained a system which works and flows well, difficult decisions have to be made (that’s life, trust me, I do every day) and we should be pleased to have such a forum where, staff are kind of lenient towards members, compared with Comodo’s forum, where by if you don’t agree with them, you are slapped down and given a warning.