Not open for further replies.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
You should have asked the members too not just the staff your not the only one in here!
Point taken, Sasa.

:eek:Look! I am practicing no longer just leaning on 'liking' counter points anymore. *Fear of writing is lifting, whilst courage is coursing through my veins again!!:p:D

PS Can I be allowed to trade in my 'likes' for reputation points?o_O (Lol!!:D I'm Just Kidding, really!:p)

Last edited:

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Trusted members have 100 points.
Staff members have 1000 points.
Ok, so what determines who is a trusted member? What's the criteria that must be met, or is that some deep mystery? What's the criteria of an active member vs a regular member. Maybe those things should be spelled out to avoid misperceptions.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I think it's the right decision, the point of this site is to be a helpful forum about technology and the best and safest uses of it, it is not a popularity contest, if you like a post, if it helped you then tell the member who posted it that you liked it and thank them. I think this will mean more to those who help than a simple click on a thumbs up. Feel free to like this post as it might be my last chance to get me some likes!!! lol jk

D

Deleted member 21043

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Reactions: Sasa
D

Deleted member 21043

Thanks, kram7750, appreciate that. But it still brings me back to my original quest for clarification on this point:

What is the criteria?
If a staff member feels that a post is of good quality (good post), then they may grant the member a reputation point for this post. You can view what posts staff members have given a member for by visiting their profile and navigating to the "Reputations" tab. Since the normal users won't decide whether the poster deserves a reputation point for their post, this does eliminate the abuse the likes system had, since the staff members won't abuse the system.

Did this answer your question?

Cheers. ;)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Personally think that this thread should have been a poll to determine who want and do not want the like button to be removed. Very sad to see it go away as it was always such a cool feature that separated MT from other malware-related websites.

the point of this site is to be a helpful forum about technology and the best and safest uses of it, it is not a popularity contest
Although this is true, it is somewhat gratifying to know that you helped someone out by receiving a simple like ;) but all good things must come to an end I suppose...

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014
"Asking for Likes"

This is why i never care about likes in my profile :p btw, good job MT Staff, do whatever you like as long as it's good for MT & Members :D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Ok, so what determines who is a trusted member? What's the criteria that must be met, or is that some deep mystery? What's the criteria of an active member vs a regular member. Maybe those things should be spelled out to avoid misconceptions.
Active member,regular member,well known member are based upon post count as are most promotional titles in most forum platforms.
Trusted members are nominated by staff members and then voted upon by all staff members. These are members we feel have shown a willingness to help other members,are active & knowledgeable members.These are also members who we feel are have set an example of what a good forum member is really all about.If you look at those members in the Trusted Member group it is clearly apparent why these members were voted into the group.
Reputation is given by staff only to members who have made helpful,knowledgeable posts or who we feel deserve reputation based on their contributions to the community.
Members(including staff members) must remember there is a Forum owner here and it is solely up to him to determine what member groups,reputation/like systems and forum rules are implemented.

I just wonder..why @Malware1 did not into the staff members list on first post??Thanks
Because he has the most likes :D

H

hjlbx

"Likes"... what's that?

I know it is there and available if a member wishes to express their thoughts\feelings regarding post.

I rarely use it as I am too focused on making sure what I am posting is pertinent and accurate... and easy to understand.

Although, I will admit there are times that I may use only an emoticon to reply to a particularly poignant post - as a way to show that I agree.

I thought the sole purpose of the entire operation was to share infos and assist those in need of help or wanting to educate themselves?

I don't know very much when it comes to IT, but

"Like" harvesting and begging ... Really?

That's utter non-sense... and "a waste of resources."

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
As much as we enjoyed having this system for our members, it's really unfortunate that some members decided to abused and cheat the system for their own personal gain.
personal gain?
What gain?
Like - it may not affect anything

This will cause even more spam - there will be many senseless messages - "cheers, thanks, bla-bla-bla,etc.........."

H

hjlbx

Everyone who is a regular, participating MalwareTips member knows who contributes significantly and regularly.

I could list between 15 to 20 member tags off the top of my head... because they are always contributing to the MT community.

In the future, we may not be able to give you a "Like" - but we know who you are... o_O

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Likes/Points are complements for making this flow of forum discussion much better, so sometimes its just a temporary and needs to lift for a meantime to adjust and analyze to provide better results; therefore I accept the decision of administrators. :)

MalwareTips can run without this and maintain the active community as possible.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I think the ideology behind trying to get a few points, is not only immature but pathetic. I do not know a lot about IT or malware. I joined to learn and I have learnt a lot, and I have then been able to implement this knowledge on to my laptop, in-terms-of effective security, what to look out for etc., etc., Jack has got to maintained a system which works and flows well, difficult decisions have to be made (that’s life, trust me, I do every day) and we should be pleased to have such a forum where, staff are kind of lenient towards members, compared with Comodo’s forum, where by if you don’t agree with them, you are slapped down and given a warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.