Discussed and Voted by Staff: Like system being deactivated next month

Discussion in 'Community Announcements' started by Spawn, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aztony

aztony New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Desert Southwest
    #41 aztony, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
    Agreed! I'm a member of a few other IT/PC security forums. MT is one that consistently allows for open discussions without resorting to censorship. I find that very appealing/refreshing.

Thanks for your reply, and for breaking it down.

russ0408 and Cats-4_Owners-2 like this.
  2. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Level 31

Jul 23, 2013
    eBay
    Tejas
    This is an April Fools Day thread...right?:D

3. Petrovic

Petrovic Level 61
    Trusted

Apr 25, 2013
    Somewhere In nowhere
    tallorder and Cats-4_Owners-2 like this.
  4. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    Only Staff members who are either Admin or Super Moderators got the vote. Honorary Groups and Trusted Members have no say.

illumination and Cats-4_Owners-2 like this.
  5. yigido

yigido Guest

Ok. The place is yours and rules are yours, too.

tallorder likes this.
  6. Oxygen

Oxygen Level 42

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    #46 Oxygen, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    If likes were useless, why do we need to keep them? We could just disable them now as they are going to be disabled next month?

Why keep something that's going to get disabled soon?

tallorder and yigido like this.
  7. BoraMurdar

BoraMurdar Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Doctor of medicine
    Serbia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Guys, after a exhaustively long discussion, staff has decided to give you the opportunity to vote if you like for the likes to stay or to be permanently removed from MalwareTips. As we found a bug in our vote system plugin, you can freely vote following the link bellow...

http://bit.ly/1C9D6pb

1m3k, ElectricSheep, amz and 11 others like this.
  8. Secondmineboy

Secondmineboy Level 26

May 25, 2014
    Germany
  9. Exterminator

Exterminator Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 23, 2012
    USA
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Omg its an April Fools joke :p:D

LabZero, amz, jamescv7 and 5 others like this.
  10. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    1st April. ;)

illumination, LabZero, amz and 7 others like this.
  11. Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2 Level 37
    Trusted

Dec 4, 2013
    Southern California (east of Los Angeles)
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    #51 Cats-4_Owners-2, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Hahaha-haha..ha..Ha!:p:D

Lol!!!:D ;):p

Good job @FreddyFreeloader! You'd posted, and thought this through quite quickly!:)
    OMG...:confused:
    They, ..you...o_O, ..all of them,:eek: got me!:p:D
    This reminds me of how The Cowardly Lion kept repeating in the film, "Wizard of Oz": I do believe..I do believe..I do believe!!:): Lol!!!:p;):):) :D April Fool, everyone!:rolleyes::)

BoraMurdar, LabZero, amz and 3 others like this.
  12. frogboy

frogboy Level 61
    Trusted

Jun 9, 2013
    Heavy Duty Mechanic.
    Western Australia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Well done guys you sure got me 10 out of 10 for this great April Fools. The best i have seen for years. :p:D

13. juhful

juhful Level 12

Jun 22, 2013
    North America
    Yeah yeah yeah, they just did this for all the likes!:p

14. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Level 19

Oct 23, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Indeed. Staff have to be careful that the cure doesn't end up being worse than the disease. Cause what exactly stops people from continuously post "I agree", "I disagree", "I like this", "I dislike this", etc. on a thread.

Regardless we have to accept that this decision have already been made official. And I like to thank the staff for making us aware of it.

Additionally have warnings have ever been issued to people spamming "likes"?

15. Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2 Level 37
    Trusted

Dec 4, 2013
    Southern California (east of Los Angeles)
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
  16. Exterminator

Exterminator Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 23, 2012
    USA
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Some of you guys bit on that hook line and sinker :D:p

17. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Level 19

Oct 23, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Well, if we can't believe what staff members say then who can we believe in? The site would be in total anarchy if we didn't trust you guys.

tallorder and Cats-4_Owners-2 like this.
  18. frogboy

frogboy Level 61
    Trusted

Jun 9, 2013
    Heavy Duty Mechanic.
    Western Australia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    I might have to change my name from @frogboy to @mullet or some thing like that. :rolleyes::D

19. MrXidus

MrXidus Super Moderator (Leave of absence)

Apr 17, 2011
    Australia
    Many websites and communities both small and large did something for April Fools some being too obvious and some with many people getting fooled.

Everyone should be cautious with what they read on the web posted around April Fools day, I myself got rused on some TorrentFreak articles, doesn't mean I now hate nor will trust the staff behind TorrentFreak and will never read an article again from them haha.

None the less this topic was mixed in the responses and it was actually interesting to see what members thought of such a thing happening.

Cheers.

20. tallorder

tallorder New Member

Jan 15, 2015
    retired...?
    NE Arkansas, near MO. border
    #60 tallorder, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
    I totally agree with Paul Lee. It would have been most appropriate to poll the members, and get feedback on this, which is a major change, actually, to MT. Not that the feedback would be any main consideration for a decision that staff chose to make, but there are many good points to the 'like' system also.

I don't care about myself, (in that 'likes' is not why I am here), and I do not think I have abused the 'like' system, but it is a valuable tool and one thing that separated MT from many other sites! If there were some who were abusing the system or 'cheating', why weren't those people suspended for...2 days, 3 days..., why wasn't this topic brought up in a forum from staff, like this one has been? Perhaps it could have been curtailed. Nobody can work on something, if nobody is told that it is becoming a problem. Nobody works on malware or infections until they appear troublesome: does staff think we would all not pull together? I believe our loyalty runs deep.

I think it is valuable not only to 'newbies', but to all. A quick 'heads up', or quick 'well done', or even just a ...quick click of 'standing with you'- or 'understanding your frustration', or ...'have been there'..

I think the 'like' system is an integral reason why MT is growing leaps and bounds, while I see other sites stagnating! It makes people feel EXTREMELY welcome, pulled in, brought in, a part of- and I think that is also part of why MT is showing such an increase of members, while other sites are starving for ACTIVE members.

It would be an interesting project for staff to do a study now, on the membership increase % in the past ..say...12 months, compared to the next 12 months, and see how they compare. It would be really great if in 12 months from today, April Fools Day, 2016, the results of your yearly study of this is posted also, for all members to see.

I feel it is really sad that staff did not involve their following, on such a major change.

I didn't vote to hang the man ("I did not vote for..")... I was strong armed ...into voting yes by a ...mob...

So, that means even if I thought the man innocent: well- I'll vote the way you want...! No hung jury here!??:eek: All right- the firing squad it is!

Like a catfish!