Discussed and Voted by Staff: Like system being deactivated next month

Status
Not open for further replies.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
we should be pleased to have such a forum where, staff are kind of lenient...
Agreed! I'm a member of a few other IT/PC security forums. MT is one that consistently allows for open discussions without resorting to censorship. I find that very appealing/refreshing.

Active member,regular member,well known member are based upon post count as are most promotional titles in most forum platforms.
Trusted members are nominated by staff members and then voted upon by all staff members. These are members we feel have shown a willingness to help other members,are active & knowledgeable members.These are also members who we feel are have set an example of what a good forum member is really all about.If you look at those members in the Trusted Member group it is clearly apparent why these members were voted into the group.
Reputation is given by staff only to members who have made helpful,knowledgeable posts or who we feel deserve reputation based on their contributions to the community.
Members(including staff members) must remember there is a Forum owner here and it is solely up to him to determine what member groups,reputation/like systems and forum rules are implemented.

Because he has the most likes :D
Thanks for your reply, and for breaking it down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
This is an April Fools Day thread...right?:D
Huracan,Yesterday at 10:21 PM

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
If likes were useless, why do we need to keep them? We could just disable them now as they are going to be disabled next month?

Why keep something that's going to get disabled soon?

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I'm just happy there were never any Dislikes as I'm quite sensitive.
Hahaha-haha..ha..Ha!:p:D

I would just like to say I did not vote for removing the likes.I was strong armed into voting yes by a staff induced mob action
Lol!!!:D ;):p

This is an April Fools Day thread...right?:D
Good job @FreddyFreeloader! You'd posted, and thought this through quite quickly!:)
Guys, after a exhaustively long discussion, staff has decided to give you the opportunity to vote if you like for the likes to stay or to be permanently removed from MalwareTips. As we found a bug in our vote system plugin, you can freely vote following the link bellow...

http://bit.ly/1C9D6pb
OMG...:confused:
They, ..you...o_O, ..all of them,:eek: got me!:p:D
This reminds me of how The Cowardly Lion kept repeating in the film, "Wizard of Oz": I do believe..I do believe..I do believe!!:): Lol!!!:p;):):) :D April Fool, everyone!:rolleyes::)

Last edited:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
As long as there is a system there will always be people cheating on it, and that applies to everything. So removing a system because someone was cheating is just rushing a quick solution which does not resolve the issue for long.
Indeed. Staff have to be careful that the cure doesn't end up being worse than the disease. Cause what exactly stops people from continuously post "I agree", "I disagree", "I like this", "I dislike this", etc. on a thread.

Regardless we have to accept that this decision have already been made official. And I like to thank the staff for making us aware of it.

Additionally have warnings have ever been issued to people spamming "likes"?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Well, if we can't believe what staff members say then who can we believe in? The site would be in total anarchy if we didn't trust you guys.

Many websites and communities both small and large did something for April Fools some being too obvious and some with many people getting fooled.

Everyone should be cautious with what they read on the web posted around April Fools day, I myself got rused on some TorrentFreak articles, doesn't mean I now hate nor will trust the staff behind TorrentFreak and will never read an article again from them haha.

None the less this topic was mixed in the responses and it was actually interesting to see what members thought of such a thing happening.

Cheers.

tallorder

Level 6
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Personally think that this thread should have been a poll to determine who want and do not want the like button to be removed. Very sad to see it go away as it was always such a cool feature that separated MT from other malware-related websites.

Although this is true, it is somewhat gratifying to know that you helped someone out by receiving a simple like ;) but all good things must come to an end I suppose...
I totally agree with Paul Lee. It would have been most appropriate to poll the members, and get feedback on this, which is a major change, actually, to MT. Not that the feedback would be any main consideration for a decision that staff chose to make, but there are many good points to the 'like' system also.

I don't care about myself, (in that 'likes' is not why I am here), and I do not think I have abused the 'like' system, but it is a valuable tool and one thing that separated MT from many other sites! If there were some who were abusing the system or 'cheating', why weren't those people suspended for...2 days, 3 days..., why wasn't this topic brought up in a forum from staff, like this one has been? Perhaps it could have been curtailed. Nobody can work on something, if nobody is told that it is becoming a problem. Nobody works on malware or infections until they appear troublesome: does staff think we would all not pull together? I believe our loyalty runs deep.

I think it is valuable not only to 'newbies', but to all. A quick 'heads up', or quick 'well done', or even just a ...quick click of 'standing with you'- or 'understanding your frustration', or ...'have been there'..

I think the 'like' system is an integral reason why MT is growing leaps and bounds, while I see other sites stagnating! It makes people feel EXTREMELY welcome, pulled in, brought in, a part of- and I think that is also part of why MT is showing such an increase of members, while other sites are starving for ACTIVE members.

It would be an interesting project for staff to do a study now, on the membership increase % in the past ..say...12 months, compared to the next 12 months, and see how they compare. It would be really great if in 12 months from today, April Fools Day, 2016, the results of your yearly study of this is posted also, for all members to see.

I feel it is really sad that staff did not involve their following, on such a major change.

I would just like to say I did not vote for removing the likes.I was strong armed into voting yes by a staff induced mob action
I didn't vote to hang the man ("I did not vote for..")... I was strong armed ...into voting yes by a ...mob...

So, that means even if I thought the man innocent: well- I'll vote the way you want...! No hung jury here!??:eek: All right- the firing squad it is!

Some of you guys bit on that hook line and sinker :D:p
Like a catfish!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.