Advice Request Discussion - Should you install the Windows 10 20H2 update right away? - GHacks Article

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Would like to start a discussion related to this article.

In particular the following point:
"Since Windows 10 20H2 does not include many new features or improvements, it may be better to skip the upgrade for the period of one or two months as bugs will be gone for the most part after that period (unless things go really wrong and the upgrade needs to be pulled)."

I fully agree with the above point based on Microsoft's update track records, even dating back to the infamous XP SP2/SP3 update rollout fiasco.

What are your thoughts after reading such article?

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Personally I don't have any issue with windows10, always was very stable. Something I can not say of other versions except the Windows 7 Enterprise.
I read many people complaining, butt I don't see so many bugs in my version of the Windows 10 or instability.
When the update comes via automatic updates, I will install.

My computer in six months, never had a BSOD, only two freezes with Hitmanpro, this application don't like to run with browsers open or process Hacker running, it freezes the system.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Speaking strictly for myself, been running 20H2 as an Insider for past several weeks, many of the major bugs in version what's-it's-face, oh yeah, 2004 are largely gone (disk "defrag" of ssd, disk optimization "never run" and Photos app crashes, etc). Only have a pair of ESENT id 642 warnings in Event Viewer at every start/restart (not to my liking but Microsoft has acknowledged and promised a fix).

Very stable and fast on here. But again, this is still an Insider build. Let's see what happens when it releases. Myself, I would install it right away because of the positive Insiders experience.

only two freezes with Hitmanpro, this application don't like to run with browsers open or process Hacker running, it freezes the system.

OFF TOPIC reply
Off topic: I experienced total freeze of the system multiple times, causing me to shut the machine off at the surge protector. After posting in the Wilders HitmanPro thread, the engineer told me to use Compatible Disk Access in the Advanced Settings. This works but scanning speed is slowed considerably. I'm back to Direct Disk Access in 20H2 but if the scan stalls on something, I immediately stop it. Does running off an NVM-e have something to do w/it? Never had the problem w/SATA.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.