Troubleshoot Disk scheduler optimization set to weekly, but it never runs?

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Disk scheduler optimization failed to run.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
none
I set scheduler disk optimization to weekly. It is 7 days now, and the scheduler haven't run yet. The last manually run on all my drives is 7/19/2018. Is it not working?

Task Sheduler service is running automatically.

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
t.JPG

Your problem got me curious, so I checked out my defrag settings. Same thing happening here, 18 days since the last defrag, and I've gone through 4-5 different security configurations in the past month. I doubt it's a conflict with software, since it is highly unlikely that all 4-5 different configurations had a problem with defrag scheduling.

Upvote 0

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
View attachment 193761

Your problem got me curious, so I checked out my defrag settings. Same thing happening here, 18 days since the last defrag, and I've gone through 4-5 different security configurations in the past month. I doubt it's a conflict with software, since it is highly unlikely that all 4-5 different configurations had a problem with defrag scheduling.

yea, that's why I tried every possible combo available to me in a VM & after that choose the one & set up in my main machine. I don't get this kinda problem on my machine. Anyway, what are you gonna do now?

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Upvote 0

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
Where do you get these codes man? This is second time Windows have no idea what the hell is the second command code you gave it to me.
View attachment 193764

LOL, that is a boring machine to me.

try this DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows/LimitAccess

change C accordingly

Upvote 0

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
@SumTingWong Just a heads up, the majority of these commands are run automatically with the Tweaking.com repair tool I linked earlier in the thread. Not a guaranteed fix, but a faster way of getting all this out of the way.

yea, I've forgotten many of those commands as I don't use those nowadays. Please help him out.. It seems he's little short-tempered

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Upvote 0

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
So it is pointless about default weekly schedule optimization Windows setup? This is so confusing like my life.
I wouldn't say entirely pointless. (I'm assuming) Windows will still analyze your drive(s) weekly, but it will decide whether a defrag is actually needed. Logically, if it analyzes 0% fragmentation in your drives, it doesn't need to defrag anything.

Upvote 0

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
I wouldn't say entirely pointless. (I'm assuming) Windows will still analyze your drive(s) weekly, but it will decide whether a defrag is actually needed. Logically, if it analyzes 0% fragmentation in your drives, it doesn't need to defrag anything.
he was actually getting a different problem. The scheduled task or process was getting terminated unexpectedly. That's could be because of data integrity violation.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.