Troubleshoot Disk scheduler optimization set to weekly, but it never runs?

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Disk scheduler optimization failed to run.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
none
I set scheduler disk optimization to weekly. It is 7 days now, and the scheduler haven't run yet. The last manually run on all my drives is 7/19/2018. Is it not working?

Task Sheduler service is running automatically.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I wouldn't say entirely pointless. (I'm assuming) Windows will still analyze your drive(s) weekly, but it will decide whether a defrag is actually needed. Logically, if it analyzes 0% fragmentation in your drives, it doesn't need to defrag anything.

That is for HDD. You can't analyze on SSD. Even if it is only analyze the disks, it should update the last run time in Defrag and Optimize Disk. Mine was terminated unexpectedly.
for some reason I didn't notice that I hadn't put any space though in the previous command I did.

Yeah.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
@SumTingWong Just in case it is something wrong with uninstallations of security products, download something like Search Everything (Downloads - voidtools) and search for keywords like "Bitdefender" and "Emsisoft" and delete all leftover folders/files. (I don't think this will fix your problem, but it is good practice.)

I already did that. Search Everything and Autoruns confirm nothing related to Bitdefender and Emsisoft except Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

Upvote 0

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Are you using a laptop? Could it be that the defrag task is terminating because your system isn't idling or AC-powered long enough? Aside from the commands mentioned by @yitworths, I don't know what the issue could be. I'm still defaulting to "use Tweaking.com repair" to fix the issue as a last resort. After that, if scheduled defrags are super important to you, I recommend a clean boot.

Upvote 0

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
I already did that. Search Everything and Autoruns confirm nothing related to Bitdefender and Emsisoft except Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

leftovers & data integrity violation ain't same. I think you should wait for a while to check whther the problem resurfaces or not & don't mess with your system too much. What did I mean by 'too much'? Don't mess with your system at all. I know you won't be that good boy:sneaky:. Then what should I say:rolleyes::unsure:?

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
leftovers & data integrity violation ain't same. I think you should wait for a while to check whther the problem resurfaces or not & don't mess with your system too much. What did I mean by 'too much'? Don't mess with your system at all. I know you won't be that good boy:sneaky:. Then what should I say:rolleyes::unsure:?

I will wait til tomorrow to see if the disk optimization scheduler work or not. I set to daily now to check.

Upvote 0

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
I change the schedule in Defrag and Optimize Disk to daily to see if it starts tomorrow. Do I have to be in idle for it to work?
t.JPG

Check/change your settings to your preference.

Upvote 0

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
I change the schedule in Defrag and Optimize Disk to daily to see if it starts tomorrow. Do I have to be in idle for it to work?

Even if you schedule it as daily, it won't defrag or optimize unless it's need. So,make it weekly & wait for a month. If process gets terminated unexpectedly after a week, then post it again. Otherwise wait for a while. Please, don't get me wrong but you tend to rush things too much. What's you pc is it desktop or laptop? As root/ correctly pointed out. & if it is desktop, idle is not necessary.

Upvote 0

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
I think I could've done a clean format on my PC in the time it took to read and try all of the fixes in this thread. :ROFLMAO:

I tried to comment in another thread but now I've forgotten which was that one. I just hope his problem is resolved. After clean installation you need time to tweak windows 10. So, somehow this thread is still a bit more useful than a clean installation in terms of time consumption.

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Me too buddy, I wouldn't fault you for enjoying your hobby, I had my fun too but you made a statement (Who doesn't use huge number of apps in his/her machine?) and I wanted to point out that not everyone does.

I can hear @illumination in my mind right now..... hmmm, what is he saying? :emoji_fearful: :notworthy:

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
If you're asking what I'm saying, in English I think it's clear, if you're asking what Illumination would think I can only say that I know he travels pretty light, a reset takes little time if you stay prepared.

Yes, you are clear. Yes he does. And yes, if prepared. :giggle: I am mostly prepared but I’d be screwed if I needed to clean install. Never done one. I have no experience downloading needed drivers, etc. though I’ve made a list of what I think I would need. Windows troubleshooter has bailed me out so far.

Upvote 0

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Yes, you are clear. Yes he does. And yes, if prepared. :giggle: I am mostly prepared but I’d be screwed if I needed to clean install. Never done one. I have no experience downloading needed drivers, etc. though I’ve made a list of what I think I would need. Windows troubleshooter has bailed me out so far.
With the machine I'm on it needs no assistance from me it just pegs it but I'm sure there would be anomalies out there. It really doe's a great job with the reset, I direct it to keep my files and in less than an hour it's up and running, it syncs pretty much everything, if you have softs that you need to install than thats the downside, for me it's pretty painless, for others I get that it wouldn't be.

Upvote 0

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
the process terminated unexpectedly

If none of your security apps causing the problem, then most probably you should do a clean install:emoji_innocent:.(As you've already done sfc & dism) btw, you may run a dism with a iso of your current os versiono_O:censored:. Nope, go for a clean install. If you have time, you may create an another account & schedule this task & monitor for another week.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.