Advice Request DNS: blocking ads - Adguard or OpenDNS

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I'm testing some DNS services to block ads on my android (so i don't need a dedicated adblock app). Adguard and OpenDNS seems to do the job.

Do you know which one is better?

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Are you sure that OpenDNS can block ads?
I was under the impression that it is mostly a security DNS provider, blocking only malicious URL's.
Yes, you can add the filter to block ads.

1607836888396.png

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Ok, I didn't know you had this option.
But I would go for the safe bet which is Adguard (more specialized towards ads + trackers).

Edit: Do not forget that if you use a Chromium based browser on Android they circumvent private DNS settings (asynchronous DNS).

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Edit: Do not forget that if you use a Chromium based browser on Android they circumvent private DNS settings.
I had no idea about that. Can you point me to more information?

But I would go for the safe bet which is Adguard (more specialized towards ads + trackers).
I think the same but OpenDNS has servers in my country while Adguard doesn't. So my first idea was to kept with OPENDNS... I looked around about some info comparingg both but i couldn't find any. That's whyI'mm questioning it.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
I had no idea about that. Can you point me to more information?

I think the same but OpenDNS has servers in my country while Adguard doesn't. So my first idea was to kept with OPENDNS... I looked around about some info comparingg both but i couldn't find any. That's whyI'mm questioning it.
Really sorry for the late reply, I was afk for a while. Check the below link for more info:

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
ahadns.com or nextdns.io - good options too for ads blocking. The first in my opinion in terms of privacy can be better than Adguard, and the second is incredibly convenient in the setting.

i tested NextDNS and love it. Great configs, privacy, latency. But it's paid (the free version is limited) and it requires dynamic DNS (DDNS) to work properly without using their own apps. As far as i know i would have to constantly vinculante my ip to the account or use their app to keep my own configs.
Adguard does not have its own servers, it routes via 3rd party servers, it actually uses opendns servers as well.

That's strange. Adguard latency is near 5x larger than openDNS in my tests. Maybe open DNS doesn't offer all servers to adguard?

Really sorry for the late reply, I was afk for a while. Check the below link for more info:

I'll look. Ty!
There's no comparison here. OpenDNS' ad filtering is quite limited.
Ty for answering. My early tests seem to point that too.

Reactions: Nevi
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

tested NextDNS and love it. Great configs, privacy, latency. But it's paid (the free version is limited) and it requires dynamic DNS (DDNS) to work properly without using their own apps. As far as i know i would have to constantly vinculante my ip to the account or use their app to keep my own configs.
NextDNS is by default free until 300k queries/ month. After that, filtering is disabled but DNS still works. Normal user doesn't hit that number.

DDNS nor their app isn't needed. Mainstream browser and both Android and iPhone support encrypted DNS native which doesn't need also DDNS.
DDNS is only needed if you want use NextDNS on e.g. your pc or router without their software, without encrypted DNS and with a random ISP IP every 24 hours. For most if not all normal user this isn't the case as nobody use this configuration.

Easiest way is using their encrypted DNS with DoT or DoH. This works native and without program/ App - based on used OS

vinylmeister

Level 2
Verified
Jan 29, 2015
Why no dedicated App? I highly recommend RethinkDNS (former BraveDNS). It is Firewall and Dns in one, like Adguard, but OpenSource. If you load the app from the website, you cann add custom filter rules from any source. Give it a try. See more on RethinkDNS

As well you can use any other App like PersonalDNSFilter, Blokada, Nebulo, DNS66... Get your phone under your control :cool:(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.