Advice Request DNS over HTTPS when the same servers are already being used

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
I'm using Cloudflare Families on the router level, is there any point in enabling DNS over HTTPS (DoH) (also Cloudflare Families) in the web browser?

imagem_2021-09-04_030458.png

Reactions: Nevi

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Most DNS servers will use port 53 for UDP and TCP connections. This traffic can be seen by your local ISP.
DOH will use port 443 which is more private has its encrypts your DNS name resolution traffic.

If you want your DNS traffic to be kept private, then you can use DOH.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Most DNS servers will use port 53 for UDP and TCP connections. This traffic can be seen by your local ISP.
DOH will use port 443 which is more private has its encrypts your DNS name resolution traffic.

If you want your DNS traffic to be kept private, then you can use DOH.
So despite the router is already using Cloudflare Malware, DoH will use another port. Ok I get it.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Your router is using regular DNS over port 53. If your browser is using DNSoverHTTPS it will use port 443 and encrypted. It is literally flying through the firewall unless you specifically have it set to use regular DNS. I would test tbh. Are you sure your browser is always using your router DNS? Google Chrome is notoriously known to jump straight to Google and even ping root DNS servers. If all of your requests are being resolved by your DNS on your router, good. I think using the DNS in your router is more secure than using a 3rd party DNS any day and it's much much faster. But all operating systems appear to slowly move to DNS over HTTPS so you will most likely have to revisit that question and double check if it's not bypassing your DNS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.