Advice Request Do not use IPVanish or HideMyAss

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
Hi.

Lately I noticed that many affiliates websites are still promoting both PureVPN and HideMyAss despite their past.
Both providers have kept logs, gave data to 3rd party and lied to their customers, but they still operate normally till this day.

-> IPVanish have provided logs to Department of Homeland Security. More information here.
-> HideMyAss says on website what they are proven NO-LOG providers, but despite it they still discloses their users in transparency reports
-> HideMyAss has provided logs to 3rd parties in the past here. And there is more cases for sure, which are not public or hidden.

In my opinion this is truly disgusting and affiliate marketing is cancer. They don't care which products they recommend, it's all about money. If you are looking how to choose properly VPN provider you should check my short guide here.

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
Hi, I have IPvanish, it is in the past, we must prepare for the future, besides I only use IPvanish for Extra protection.:)
I mean I never use this company for something shady. :)
It does not matter, if you do shady things or not. The problem here is that they logs and can keep them as long as they want. This means that they at least can see which domains and IP's you are visiting.

Worst case scenario - they can sell your information to 3rd party ad companies.

You can't just say "it's in the past". They lied to their customer and broke the trust. This is most important part of any VPN company. If you support such product, it means what you don't care about your own privacy at all.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Thanks for the links good read, funny one says it is bad for streaming while the other praises it
Windscribe wrote in his blog not so long ago that all these sites with VPN reviews simply extort money from companies for ranking. :) If you are interested, I sometimes use HMA. I can't say for sure for streaming, but the ping and speed are quite good, including for games, and there were no problems with torrents. The only thing I don't like is that there is no Wireguard support.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
If you are trying to hide from homeland security or any government agency from any country then you better be relying on something other than a consumer VPN for your safety. A consumer VPN is for geo-unblocking (for censorship or geolocation restrictions) or hiding from your ISP, that’s about the extent for which it’s useful. But, yes, VPN review/ranking sites are largely useless.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
If you are trying to hide from homeland security or any government agency from any country then you better be relying on something other than a consumer VPN for your safety. A consumer VPN is for geo-unblocking (for censorship or geolocation restrictions) or hiding from your ISP, that’s about the extent for which it’s useful. But, yes, VPN review/ranking sites are largely useless.
"ExpressVPN server seized in Turkey turns up nothing in assassination case, verifying “no logs” policy"

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.