Advice Request Do you log off from a website say MalwareTips after each session?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you log off from a website say MalwareTips after each session?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I never log off from webpages I regularly visit, cleaning cookies/caches take care of the rest (within secs) and banking sites have a timeout, if I just close them.

Attachments

• capture_12222020_082200.jpg
    capture_12222020_082200.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 285

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Generally I log off from almost all websites if I'm not present. Especially from bank and other money related places. I somehow (I use Edge chrom and Chrome) had not logged myself out from MT, but that was a mistake. But then MT is not a place I worry over should it happen again. I think I can trust you. 😋

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I don't deliberately log off most sites but when my browser closes all cookies etc are deleted - I suppose this behaviour goes back years when other members of my family used my PC, they grown & gone now but I still value my privacy & I have no issues having to log on to sites when I wish, I wouldn't ever consider leaving Amazon & such sites logged on under any circumstances.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

What do you guys do? log off after the sessions from every website ?
Only on banking/ shopping or important sites.

Is it secure enough to leave the sessions open on every website?
If you're the only user on the PC, definitely yes. If Malware get this data, other problems exists.

How frequently do you clear cookies and site data from your browser?
Never as it doesn't improve anything but increase annoyance with e.g. Cookie settings.

sg09

Level 2
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
On my personal computer I never log off from usual websites. On public computer I browse in a private window.

On banking websites I prefer to log off and then close the tab/window, but usually I forget (switched to other tabs) and when attempt that, I find that the website had timed out automatically. :cry:

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
i adjusted the chrome to clear cookies automatically after exiting chrome.
for important websites such as banking i am using incongento mode to avoid any history or password saving
also regularly i am using Click and clean to clear my cash and private data.
my important website has multifactor authentication with hardware token or using my mobile phone

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
On my personal computer I never log off from usual websites. On public computer I browse in a private window.

On banking websites I prefer to log off and then close the tab/window, but usually I forget (switched to other tabs) and when attempt that, I find that the website had timed out automatically. :cry:
alwayes use incognito mode to avoid that if you did not log you will be logged out after certain period of time and if you closed that tab "No history"

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
  • I log off manually only for important sites like banking.
  • I use Cookie AutoDelete to automatically clear cookies/site data upon closing the tab or domain change (while I'm still using the browser).
  • I've already set the browser to clear cookies/site data upon exiting the browser.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.