Do you Shutdown, Sleep, or Hibernate your Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I was told by DigitalStorm Staff, these people -> Digital Storm: Custom Gaming Computers & Gaming PCs
At the time of purchase this was a concern of mine in terms of extending the life of my
HDD's so I asked them "whats best repeated start up's or leaving it on" I was told that the spin up
was hard on a HDD and leaving my system on would be better, and 7yrs later I still have the oroginal
Dual Seagate Barracudas today, they function just fine. I have bought replacements and the originals
are now storage devices still used daily. I voted "Don't turn off"
I doubt this would be good for SSD's though.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I was told by DigitalStorm Staff, these people -> Digital Storm: Custom Gaming Computers & Gaming PCs
At the time of purchase this was a concern of mine in terms of extending the life of my
HDD's so I asked them "whats best repeated start up's or leaving it on" I was told that the spin up
was hard on a HDD and leaving my system on would be better, and 7yrs later I still have the oroginal
Dual Seagate Barracudas today, they function just fine. I have bought replacements and the originals

I never could decide which option was kindest to " spinners " .

My main laptop is set to go into sleep-mode if inactive for twenty minutes , but I use a very handy
little app called " Don't Sleep " to overide this .
Useful for long downloads or AV scans without interruption.

I shutdown each night , but I like to go to sleep with the radio on quietly , and for this
I use another app called " Delayed shutdown "
Both of these apps are very light-weight and I recommend them .

I never use hibernate because it slows shutdown and ties up some memory .... just a personal choice :)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Okay then i will try your advice as long as the good Wife allows me to leave it on all the time. :rolleyes:

NekoHr

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 5, 2016
I leave mine on during the day but turn it of when going to bed. I don't need it when I sleep, I'm saving energy and it is quiet.

Modern computers start really fast so startup time is no issue. About HDDs there are 2 views, one that starting puts extra strain on it (true) other that most HDDs aren't build for 24/7 work (also true). So which one is better? I would say it doesn't matter unless you shutdown and start your system every 30 minutes or in other case if plan to use same disk for 10 years.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Nope, No sleep, Hibernate, or screen timeout for me.
I restart or power down for Hardware or software changes, and to
protect the system from power outages from storms. Other than that
It's up and running. :)
Even Process Lasso is set to Keep PC Awake "Indefinitely"

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.