Do you turn off your wifi router when going to bed and why?

Do you turn off your wifi router when going to bed and why?

• Total voters

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
3Rd Rock From The Sun Computer GIF

Pixelman

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
Nah no, why would we turn off? well i don't see any news about router off when go to bed how can you check the internet on the phone if you turn it off? lol the router take care of the WiFi don't worry about it..
I understand you. There are some topics how wifi affects your sleep, how turning off your wifi can make you less of a targeted wifi hotspot provider.
I don't know if this is based on any proof, so I came up with the question to see what people generally think.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I have a mikrotik router and I have a script running on it which switch off wifi on 12Am and switch on wifi at 7Am. I have this enabled just to make sure that every one gets a break from their online activities from 12 Am atleast. I don't think wifi radiation is dangerous to human beings. You will receive far more radiation from our sun everyday than from a wifi router.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
The stuff I use is connected with ethernetcables so my wifi is off like 99,5% of the time.

Similar here, more ethernet usage than wi-fi. The wi-fi is often switched off, not just at night, and definitely if we're away, along with the router and much else.

Not into having 'personal assistants/spies' around the home, nor letting the local cops see who is approaching our front door. If I want to listen to music/radio there are older analogue tech systems here (Quad valve amps etc) that sound much better than any 'modern' digital method I've heard that is affordable. I don't mind getting up and switching things off and on. We want a break from tech for some hours of the day, especially after using it all day at work, Some of the real world is actually OK, uninterrupted conversations are good without any distracting bleeps and flashing lights. Sometimes we switch our phones off while still awake, or leave them at home if we're going out, crazy huh? It annoys the hell out of those we know who can't exist without a device being within 50cm of them:devilish: This may all seem a bit mid-C20th, but we quite like it, a mish-mash of old and new ways of communicating, working and general living. I've long had a semi-Luddite tendency, interested in the new but still appreciating the old. After university I started programming those monster IBM computers that our smartphones of today outperform to the nth degree, I saw that this was the future but hated the working environment and didn't touch a computer for some time. I've long since returned to working in IT to pay my way, but I still like to shut it out. I get that wi-fi this and that may be good, but we're still capable of checking the fridge etc to see what we need from the shops before we go to them. We'll wait until we're dependent on Zimmer frames or whatever before succumbing to them, by then they'll probably be greatly appreciated, plus you lot who use them now will hopefully have sorted all the bugs out by then.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I never turn it off apart from maintenance, as my media box & the rest of the house rely on my router, so switching it off would end my life as I know it including watching TV in bed - Don't really use assistants apart from Siri who isn't very bright actually, As the Amazon people & others come often the Ring doorbell is handy & switching off the router means half an hour getting things working again - Having 4 children keeps me (& oodles of grandchildren) youngish & ended up using new tech where I might not have done.

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I never turn it off apart from maintenance, as my media box & the rest of the house rely on my router, so switching it off would end my life as I know it including watching TV in bed - Don't really use assistants apart from Siri who isn't very bright actually, As the Amazon people & others come often the Ring doorbell is handy & switching off the router means half an hour getting things working again - Having 4 children keeps me (& oodles of grandchildren) youngish & ended up using new tech where I might not have done.
You just reminded me of another reason I never turn off my router... kids... I have two young ones and if their XBox decides to update a game they want to play, or install a general update or fails to automatically reconnect, you probably can hear their frustrated screams from the other side of the city...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No. Router is always-on, always-connected.

Internet connectivity is an absolute necessity for the privileged.

There are some health and security reasons for this. What is your opinion?

colin.p

Jan 6, 2022
I live way the he** out in the boonies (20 bucks from anywhere) and the only neighbour is 300ft away and wouldn't have a clue what WiFi is anyway. Plus my wife likes to read on her tablet at night when she can't sleep, so - no- I don't turn off the router (or wifi switch) overnight.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Yes, I do. It's a known fact modern devices are government trackers and, just like owls, are night operators, deploying all the shady spying scripts past midnight when you sleep.

Router ON at night? Yeah, no thank you, I like my privacy PRIVATE!!!!!!!!!!111

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Yes, I do. It's a known fact modern devices are government trackers and, just like owls, are night operators, deploying all the shady spying scripts past midnight when you sleep.

Router ON at night? Yeah, no thank you, I like my privacy PRIVATE!!!!!!!!!!111
2 billion or 3 trillion or whatever in your country who use the router they never know its you they know as 2 billion or 3 trillion. if you hide something from the GOV as you are a h@cker or something then yes obv and if not then leave it you are like everyone it's not big deal..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.