Do you use update software?

• Total voters

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Hi Darlene I use patch my pc and filehippo update manager , both are complementing eachother very well. I have used secunia psi in the past but I find the 2 I use now more efficient , plus psi runs unnessecary startup services and scanning takes quite a while. I cannot comment on heimdal really , but I asume it is not as broad in finding updates.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Voted "No"
Driver and Software Update 3rd party tools are not used on my system.
Most software on my system auto updates, those that are a security risk
or don't update on a automatic basis, I update on Sundays when I do my system maintenance.
Nice thread ;)

H

hjlbx

With what I use there is no need.

All software updaters do is hog system resources and slow down system boot if allowed to autorun.

I'd use a portable one if available - but I have never even bothered to look for one.

After trying Secunia about 2 years ago I promptly ditched it.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
KCSoftwares SUMo. I used to use Secunia some time ago but it takes a long time to scan and it had false positives and so on. FileHippo update checker has a limited database but i liked it. Kaspersky has an update checked which is good. SUMo and Kaspersky update manager are the update programs that i recommend. ;)

Sumo installer is crammed with adware and pups , or am I wrong about that? or do they have a " light " version?

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
PatchMyPC with Schedule :p

Clipboard01.png

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Sumo installer is crammed with adware and pups , or am I wrong about that? or do they have a " light " version?
It has a light version of its installer which has no offers, and a version of the installer which includes an offer with a checkbox to install RelevantKnowledge (adware) which you are free to uncheck. No ads in the program itself, just the first time you are closing it after installing it it offers you a popup to buy pro but has a checkbox to never show again. It detects many programs, virtually all of your installed programs. And detects updates very fast, i really like it. It has proven its abilities to me many times.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
LOL that's what i call multiple layers of updaters. Rock Solid! :)

Thanks. I keep multiple programs because none of them comes close to recognizing all due updates--except SUMO. But SUMO doesn't fetch anything for you. I found Secunia and Heimdal don't update a whole lot of programs. They're mainly concerned with keeping you patched in the most hacked programs, like Flash and Adobe Reader.

Every software thinks it's supposed to autorun even if there's not the faintest rationale for that. A program like WinPatrol gives you a convenient way to block CCleaner from joining your startup every time you run it.

The Best Tools To Check For Software Updates
updaters.JPG

Out of curiosity i tried to download SUMo on a machine last week....but Eset killed it during download. Detected as a malware not even a PUP:confused:

That's outrageous. I hope you reported it to them as false positive. I have ESET and I like it, but PUPs detection and auto-deletion are disabled because ESET thinks it's justified in treating every developer who tries to recover the costs of development by bundling something as a malware perpetrator.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.