DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Any programs like Java and Flash should be updated asap to prevent vectors of attacks. Updating drivers can cause more system pain than relief.
Some precision :

- I said I don't use a "update software", not said "I don't update my software" :)

- Updating "hardware" Drivers that are "available" from constructor for "good reasons" with "good versions" and to resolve bug with Windows 10,
it's interesting, no ?
A good example, Audio drivers and the bug with windows updates.

- I never said "automatically update drivers without knowing what you are doing"
=> you must always read what a new driver update resolves, before updating

Last edited:

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I used to use Secunia PSI but far too slow, resource heavy and unreliable automatic updater. I now use FileHippo App Manager. Nowhere as comprehensive as Sec PSI but fast and very user friendly. I used Heimdal updater as part of Heimdal Pro but hated the whole program so ditched it.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
These looks like a good alternative. anyone here who ever tried this software Updater and willing to compare it with Sumo Updater

PatchMyPC only checks programs that have in the database and does not scan the entire PC.
Programs that are in its database are in the pictures below (often add new programs to the list):

Clipboard01.png Clipboard02.png Clipboard03.png Clipboard04.png Clipboard05.png Clipboard06.png Clipboard07.png Clipboard08.png Clipboard09.png Clipboard10.png Clipboard11.png

Last edited:

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Sumo installer is crammed with adware and pups , or am I wrong about that? or do they have a " light " version?

@Trickster

Yes , KC Software ( makers of Sumo ) have something of a bad rep regarding bundleware / crapware .
But they are fairly upfront about it and when I last looked at their website they indicate where a " lite " version is available.

I was actually looking for their RAM analyser , which turned out to be useless compared to Speccy or CPU-Z .

I used to use Sumo or Ninite but no longer .
I update my apps manually ..... I'm tired of updates that are only cosmetic , and also , in some rare cases I have
found that certain features are actually removed !

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I'm fan on software updater because of convenience, however I realize that way better to update through manual process instead.

Sometimes you don't need to update the hardware from 3rd party because of possible future issues.

Also you can have full control on your own if you will update through manufacturer's updater.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.